Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 2596 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
The moral of the story is: if you're in the physical media business, get out quick. There's no need for you anymore.

No way man! I was able to pick up a new copy of The Division for $3 last month at a local store! Couldn't find it anywhere for cheaper than $15 for the longest time.

Reactions: purbeast0

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
No way man! I was able to pick up a new copy of The Division for $3 last month at a local store! Couldn't find it anywhere for cheaper than $15 for the longest time.
If a game I want is available physical and digital, I will get physical 100% of the time. I guess the only exception is if the digital one is like $20 or something cheaper, which is rarely the case. I actually paid $10 extra to get Dead Cells physical on Switch.

Reactions: Sonikku

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I don't even care about physical anymore. I have enough material and old enough that I'll die before any of that even matters. Everything (yes everything) is available online somewhere if I truly need it. I won't be playing games from the 90's when I'm 80 and I don't have kids to leave anything to.

I'm in the process of cleaning out all my old collected stuff. I'm over it. But all those collectors keep coming! I just sold an empty Daggerfall PC box on for $200. WTF.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I don't even care about physical anymore. I have enough material and old enough that I'll die before any of that even matters. Everything (yes everything) is available online somewhere if I truly need it. I won't be playing games from the 90's when I'm 80 and I don't have kids to leave anything to.

I'm in the process of cleaning out all my old collected stuff. I'm over it. But all those collectors keep coming! I just sold an empty Daggerfall PC box on for $200. WTF.
I want physical so that I can control when I can play games. I rarely resell games, but I do occasionally, as well as let friends borrow games and stuff. I'm pretty sure there are some PS2 or PS3 games that you can't even play digitally anymore, even if you own them. Sure it's few and far between, but with all of the DRM on all this crap and closed systems, I could see it getting worse.

I also only use physical media for movies too. I rent movies from Redbox because streaming isn't close to quality as far as sound goes. Video is close with 1080p but even then you an usually tell it's compressed in scenes if you know what to look for, which I unfortunately do. And it's one of those things that once you see it and can notice it, you can't un-notice it.

Reactions: destrekor

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
K7GbBl9.jpg

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
As a nerd, I find this to be quite true:

uyUEu5A.jpg

I got into a huge argument last year at a Superbowl party from pointing out $500 million worth of salaries are being paid to two groups and millions of people are cheering for muscular men to move a leather balloon from point A to point B like it's the most important thing in the world, meanwhile a friend of mine is doing biological research to cure cancer in Cleveland and earning $60K a year...

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I want physical so that I can control when I can play games. I rarely resell games, but I do occasionally, as well as let friends borrow games and stuff. I'm pretty sure there are some PS2 or PS3 games that you can't even play digitally anymore, even if you own them. Sure it's few and far between, but with all of the DRM on all this crap and closed systems, I could see it getting worse.

I also only use physical media for movies too. I rent movies from Redbox because streaming isn't close to quality as far as sound goes. Video is close with 1080p but even then you an usually tell it's compressed in scenes if you know what to look for, which I unfortunately do. And it's one of those things that once you see it and can notice it, you can't un-notice it.

I'm semi-sure that for at least one of the physical PC games I purchased, there wasn't even a disc in the box. I think it might have been XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012).

Reactions: Fritzo

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I'm semi-sure that for at least one of the physical PC games I purchased, there wasn't even a disc in the box. I think it might have been XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012).
I'm pretty sure that the newest Fallout's $100 CE or something did not come with a physical game either. You got some shwagg and a DLC code lol. And I don't think it was mentioned prior to coming out.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I'm pretty sure that the newest Fallout's $100 CE or something did not come with a physical game either. You got some shwagg and a DLC code lol. And I don't think it was mentioned prior to coming out.

Game manufacturers are saving money on DVDs because margins are so thin. A lot of game systems don't even come with optical drives anymore.

I remember my parents splurging to get me Ultima IV for my Commodore 64 and it came with a hand-illustrated spell book + lore book (on nice ancient-looking parchment!), a cloth map, and a metal ankh pendant, and it was only $39.95. A lot of games came with swag like that to draw you into the world. Now...not so much (unless you dump $200 of one with a stupid plastic case and an action figure).