Jesus's middle name is Hume! Caution: Some NSFW images within!

Page 2598 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
:rolleyes: High-speed Internet has only been widely available for the last few years. PS4, XBox, and the #1 gaming system- PHONES, are all preferring streaming content now. I work in an IT firm partnered with Microsoft and the inside rumor is MS is building a cloud gaming system- essentially a dumb client that remotes into a high-end server and the game plays remotely while streaming video back to you. Steam already made something similar (but it wasn't ready for primetime).

Physical media is dead. It's just not needed anymore.
Playstation Now does that. It's why Sony acquired OnLive. Various Smart TVs and Blu-Ray players used to allow you to pair a DualShock 4 controller and play subscription PS3/PS4 games from the streaming service. I believe Sony recently killed compatibility for most TVs and Blu-Ray players. Not sure if the PS3 even works as a client anymore.

That would have been a cool way to enable PS3 compatibility for PS4. Insert a PS3 game disc into your PS4 to enable streaming that specific PS3 game live from Sony's servers. Would be nice.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
That streaming service was junk. There's a difference between 'digital' and 'streaming' a game. Streaming is only realistic for some games and some locations. For the masses it isn't realistic or the same as streaming a movie.

As for the 'hifi/fidelity' people. That's a very small portion of the userbase. How many people are watching/listening to everything on their phones now? It's only going to get more prevalent.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
GQh33JT.png

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I got into a huge argument last year at a Superbowl party from pointing out $500 million worth of salaries are being paid to two groups and millions of people are cheering for muscular men to move a leather balloon from point A to point B like it's the most important thing in the world, meanwhile a friend of mine is doing biological research to cure cancer in Cleveland and earning $60K a year...

As much as I love sports it's getting pretty hard to defend this crap. Baseball players demanding 300 million dollar contracts and, Soccer players getting 80 million a year etc, meanwhile I don't even go to the games anymore because parking fees/ticket prices/food prices are stupid expensive. I don't even know who pays for this shit that makes them all this money.

hahahah

Reactions: Thebobo

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
320K streaming is available on a lot of streaming services now. For those that need peak quality, there are record stores.

So... that's physical media, yes?

Just sayin', physical media ain't dead. A once largely dead type of physical media has even made a huge come-back (actual vinyl records), complete with brand new state of the art manufacturing and pressing equipment, and new businesses built to fill in the production void left by the closure of the previous production shops.

Blu-ray and DVD still sell well, or rent well like at Redbox. I've actually be contemplating adding Netflix's disc rental service to my streaming subscription. I love the convenience of streaming don't get me wrong, but it cannot handle Blu-ray quality bitrates. With storage largely cheap it could eventually go the way of gaming, where you download the entire video at BD quality or just go buy the disc. But even digital purchases online where you do download the movie, they still don't give the quality that Blu-ray has.

Physical media ain't dead, not by a long shot. And there should certainly not be any "death watch" for physical media any time soon, because there are more than enough of us who do care about quality to still buy discs. And if online services aren't offering full quality downloads, they are certainly nowhere near offering full quality streams. And frankly, our infrastructure is in no way prepared for an entire population streaming full quality movies. You might have nominal bandwidth speeds that would serve the full bitrate just fine, but that's really only true if you were the only one doing it and then there's still no guarantee.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I'd be much more interested in superbowls (or sports in general) if the halftime show was the fans in a pit fight to the death.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I'd be much more interested in superbowls (or sports in general) if the halftime show was the fans in a pit fight to the death.

I'm only interested in this year's Super Bowl, like most others before it, because I'll be watching and rooting for different scores to play my different boards. I am also rooting against the Patriots like everyone else who isn't a Pats fan but depending on the score toward the end I could be rooting for anyone.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
As much as I love sports it's getting pretty hard to defend this crap. Baseball players demanding 300 million dollar contracts and, Soccer players getting 80 million a year etc, meanwhile I don't even go to the games anymore because parking fees/ticket prices/food prices are stupid expensive. I don't even know who pays for this shit that makes them all this money.

Advertising. Pizza Hut and Coca Cola have literally billions of dollars.

Reactions: KMFJD