Jerry Seinfeld's diversity "controversy"

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
The real victim here are the young blacks. But they're a victim of their own culture's race brigade against white people.

Their children are taught that they WILL be "held back", and that they're "owed", and that if they fail it isn't their fault it's the "white people" or the "government" or the "racist businesspeople". They are seemingly taught to specifically look for ways to blame things on race, to blame their race or some other race.

They are a victim by choice.

The welding shops I worked at, they would hire just about anyone that was willing to work. Some of the best welders I have ever seen are black.

The problem is getting the younger generation motivated.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
How isn't Canoworms banned? He is a massive and profoundly racist troll.

Probably because I have a 10+ year history here advocating for minority rights, anti-racism, and equality. Everything from minorities issues in Europe, America, within the Islamic world, etc.

Advocating for equality is not racist. It's a stance against racism.

Last edited:

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Let me guess....

You failing at school, some other person's fault.

You not getting into college, some other person's fault.

You being a deadbeat, some other person's fault.

You not having a job, some other person's fault.

You getting arrested, some other person's fault.

I'm probably one of the more educated and professionally successful people here. I'm not advocating to further myself, but help those who didn't have the opportunities and privileges that I had.

America has no future if it continues to keep its caste system.

The problem is you, not everyone else. This country does not have "white privilege". We do have a major problem of "white blame". Move to your promised land of the UK and see what real racism is like.

White privilege is a well-recognized problem in this country and it's preventing America from reaching its true potential.

Why would I move to the UK? I have a history on this forum of calling it anything but a promised land.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
I'm pretty sure lots of countries have and continue to operate with caste systems. Btw, I'm not agreeing we have one.

Good for them. America will go for equality instead. Have a problem? Self-deport.

Witches and demonic possession were well-recognized problems in the 1600's in this country.

Imaginary problems rather than real.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Good for them. America will go for equality instead. Have a problem? Self-deport.

No no, you've misunderstood me. I actually think we should get rid of any remotely caste-system like artifacts in our culture. For instance, the fact that some people are given preferential hiring and college admission consideration based on their race and/or gender. Let's get rid of that immediately.

Imaginary problems rather than real.

Actually a better comparison for white privilege is "The Evil Eye" are you familiar with it?

"The evil eye is a malevolent look that many cultures believe able to cause injury or misfortune for the person at whom it is directed"

or the widespread belief in curses and witchcraft still to this day in sub-Saharan Africa. How people who haven't done anything to you are actually secretly ruining your life using mysterious, invisible forces. Holding you back, making things go wrong for you...

Sound familiar?

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm probably one of the more educated and professionally successful people here. I'm not advocating to further myself, but help those who didn't have the opportunities and privileges that I had.

Ah, now the hubris rears its ugly, white head. Where is your shame for being so educated and professionally successful? Don't you know that you only achieved those things through your white privilege? And you didn't respond to my previous question: why haven't you renounced all of the ill-gotten gains from your privilege, if you're so adamant about reforming the caste system? The greatest journey starts with but a single step, why don't you take that step and lead by example, CanO?

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Ah, now the hubris rears its ugly, white head. Where is your shame for being so educated and professionally successful? Don't you know that you only achieved those things through your white privilege? And you didn't respond to my previous question: why haven't you renounced all of the ill-gotten gains from your privilege, if you're so adamant about reforming the caste system? The greatest journey starts with but a single step, why don't you take that step and lead by example, CanO?

I'm not white.

Regardless, nobody is asking for people to feel shame. I think your post says a lot about you.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
I'm not white.

Regardless, nobody is asking for people to feel shame. I think your post says a lot about you.

Yes, aren't you Indian? You do realize Asian and Indian students receive preferential enrollment treatment at many technical positions and university settings?

It also makes your pronouncements of "caste systems" more than amusing.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Yes, aren't you Indian? You do realize Asian and Indian students receive preferential enrollment treatment at many technical positions and university settings?

Partly Indian-American. I think there are advantages in technical recruitment in high-tech, but university settings do require higher standards for Asians, even though I think that when you look at the resources available to students that it may be appropriate.

I just think that people should have access not to just opportunities, but equal opportunities. When I was an engineer in my prior career, I certainly benefited from being a male. No doubt that's a huge privilege in engineering. Shouldn't things be normalized for women so that they have the same access to equal opportunities?

It also makes your pronouncements of "caste systems" more than amusing.

Why? I'm American. It's like me tying a white person to Nazism.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Ridiculous. We should let the smartest kids into our schools, given the most talented people the best jobs and put the funniest comedians on TV. Think the system is stacked against you? Prove them wrong by showing you're the best.

Seinfeld is 100% right, and for some two-bit reporter to tell him how it's going to be is laughable. At this point, he STILL has one of the most watched shows on television (in syndication) and has become a billionaire, successful comedian.

Aziz Ansari is funny. For the most part though, the funniest comedians are white males. Maybe they just tell jokes that other white males can relate to? Funny women are few and far between. I think Amy Schumer might be one of the funniest, but even she's hit or miss. Her ex-boyfriend, Anthony Jeselnik, is a genius though. He says exactly what he wants to say, without regard to race, gender or anyone's feelings.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I don't know why Seinfield would be upset. After all he has much in common with R. Kelly.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm ok with that. This forum has always had a vocal anti-minority and racist perspective for over a decade. Those who ask for equality of opportunity are trolls here, while those who invaded this forum from Stormfront are lionized.

Jerry Seinfeld is an influential comedian with connections and ability to provide publicity/exposure to comics. Maybe he should be recognizing that his decisions on who to have on his show have major outcomes on various social and economic issues.

It's easy for a white male like Mr. Seinfeld to merely handwave these issues away.

Placing race above other factors is in fact racism. Unless you have evidence that he is actively not accepting minority comedians who are more qualified than those on the show , there should be no issue.

Your position, reduced to its core, is that you need one of each type a la The Village People.

As an aside, is there one comedian who stated they wanted to be on the show and denied? Just one?

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
White privilege is a well-recognized problem in this country and it's preventing America from reaching its true potential.

Greed is preventing the United States from reaching its full potential.

If we were to take all of the colleges and universities, turn them into not for profit grant funded organizations, make higher education free to all, this discussion on race would disappear.

If you want to do away with this so called "white privilege", then make higher education available to everyone for free.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
I care. White male privilege is a social ill that needs to be dismantled, among other privileges.

America needs to be more than a mere land of opportunity, but a land of equal opportunity.

If so, you should start your own tv show. Follow Jerry's model but look for diversity over merit. See how that goes.

Pray To Jesus

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2011
People who see race issues and racisms in everything are themselves the actual racists. They are racists that project their racism onto others. They see people mainly by race and don't see people as unique individuals.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
If so, you should start your own tv show. Follow Jerry's model but look for diversity over merit. See how that goes.

The two are intrinsically related. If you don't have diversity, then you don't have merit. Rather, you're just coasting off of no-merit privilege.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
People who see race issues and racisms in everything are themselves the actual racists. They are racists that project their racism onto others. They see people mainly by race and don't see people as unique individuals.

I see assholes everywhere......
:hmm:

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
The two are intrinsically related. If you don't have diversity, then you don't have merit. Rather, you're just coasting off of no-merit privilege.

This is completely false. The two are completely unrelated. The best candidates do not necessarily reflect diversity. I am not sure how you can even begin to try to justify that statement... it is completely illogical.

You have to consider that Seinfeld was a show that captured a certain experience. Truth is, that experience included a Jewish guy who had some white friends. It would have been less true of a story if he threw in characters who did not represent his actual experiences just so he could "diversify". This is the real world- some people just have friends of their same race or class.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
This is completely false. The two are completely unrelated. The best candidates do not necessarily reflect diversity. I am not sure how you can even begin to try to justify that statement... it is completely illogical.

If you select the best people, you will not get such a great concentration of white males. It may not be an exact representation of American society, but such an extreme disparity is a reflection of privilege allowing lesser candidates to trump the best candidates.

You have to consider that Seinfeld was a show that captured a certain experience. Truth is, that experience included a Jewish guy who had some white friends. It would have been less true of a story if he threw in characters who did not represent his actual experiences just so he could "diversify". This is the real world- some people just have friends of their same race or class.

This is another issue and Seinfeld's racial secessionist experiences are extremely troubling. He needs access to social services to assimilate into America.