Jericho

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Accipiter22

Banned
Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: ColdFusion718
Jericho is awesome! I think their biggest mistake was taking that winter hiatus. :(

I don't think the ratings system they use is accurate.* I mean, when was the last time you knew someone who had one of those trackers installed on their TV? I only hear of certain people *cough* trailer trash *cough* who have these ratings trackers.

* Allow me to elaborate here. I meant "accurate" as in what the ATOT community would consider as a close representation of the type of demographics of said community. Most of us (I'm being optimistic here), are relatively educated, savvy, and "deeper" than your average American.

So of course we will tend to like certain shows--it's in our blood. On the other hand, take your average American--he/she basically watches TV for the latest craze (read: reality TV).

I'm afraid that things will continue to head this way.

I've wondered that myself too....I'm wondering if advertisers are actually hitting their mark based on ratings, seeing as how I know pretty much no one from a middle or upper class socioeconomic status that has those monitors on their t.v.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
This means I will probably never watch another new 'continuation' type series. That makes for Invasion and Jericho getting cancelled and leaving you wondering wtf was supposed to happen.

Thank you American Idol, Survivor, etc. viewers for making this possible. Bring on more "REALITY" shows pronto!

Seriously....Over There, The Black Donnelly's, Jericho, Drive, Firefly....all decent shows that have been cancelled. It seems I like everything the networks don't.

Canun

Apr 1, 2006
Keep in mind, Nielson ratings don't take into account people who watch it from DVR unless they watch it within 24hrs. So if you wait till the weekend or even two days later, it doesn't count.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Canun
Keep in mind, Nielson ratings don't take into account people who watch it from DVR unless they watch it within 24hrs. So if you wait till the weekend or even two days later, it doesn't count.

Which is lame.

Do regular digital boxes report ratings to Nielson? You'd think DVR software and boxes would have the option to report your watching/recording habits for ratings.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Originally posted by: Canun

i hope that's not all they use... i made an iTunes purchase for a reason dammit

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
I find this hilarious - Link

"Jericho" started out strong last fall for CBS. However, like "Lost" on ABC and "Heroes" on NBC, many viewers abandoned the show after it went on a long midseason hiatus.

"We lost a lot of steam," said Kelly Kahl, CBS' chief scheduling executive. "I know we had loyal viewers ... but the show sort of lost its engine and wasn't performing."

Translation - We know we had a great show and it was performing well but our actions as a network hurt it so we're going to cancel it instead of correcting the problem that hurt it. :confused:

SmoochyTX

Lifer
Apr 19, 2003
Hahaha! Wish I'd been around to see this.

Seems there was a Digg-like revolt on the CBS message boards over Jericho being cancelled a few days ago. Kinda still going on if you check the boards.

Read me!

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Well I'd say the peeps on the CBS.com forums are some good honorary 101ab boys. From the sound of it they pretty much shut down all forums until the mods started mass deletions and bannings.

If you've been involved keep it up, the TVguide dude posted that CBS execs have scheduled a meeting for this week about Jericho.

The initial CBS form letter about it was rather lackluster (and clearly vague on detail) and anything less than additional season will be dissapointing.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: hdeck
Originally posted by: davenyl
http://www.nutsonline.com/gifts/jericho.html

This site has sent over 6000 pounds of nuts to CBS since yesterday. Wonder if this will have any affect at all.

it's already having an effect because CBS is now entertaining the idea of giving the series closure, even if it's just 1 more episode.

I think it would take more than one episode to clear everything up, but a half season or maybe a mini-series might do it. I'll take 1 though, maybe they can do it. :shrug;

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I was just reading some of the stuff on the save the show sites about the rating #s. If they were happy with the first half ratings, I can't see how the 2nd half made them pull the plug seeing the actual drop wasn't that much, and it was against the #1 rated show.

Keeping those numbers I'd figure they'd be happy.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
You guys seriously don't know how Nielsen's work huh? It's not a box. It's a survey with pencil and paper.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: sygyzy
You guys seriously don't know how Nielsen's work huh? It's not a box. It's a survey with pencil and paper.

And when comparing; how they got the numbers means exactly what when looking at the actual numbers?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
NUTS

When CBS canceled "Jericho," a show about life in a small town after several nuclear bombs go off across the country, its fans started to rebel.

Internet chat rooms -- including a popular one on CBS's own Web site -- filled with talk about how to convince the network to bring back the show.

One method: nuts.

So far, nearly 20,000 pounds of nuts have been sent to various network executives in New York and Los Angeles.

To get a better idea of just how much those nuts weigh, consider this: it would take 4,500 2-liter soda bottles to balance a scale against them.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: lupi
NUTS

When CBS canceled "Jericho," a show about life in a small town after several nuclear bombs go off across the country, its fans started to rebel.

Internet chat rooms -- including a popular one on CBS's own Web site -- filled with talk about how to convince the network to bring back the show.

One method: nuts.

So far, nearly 20,000 pounds of nuts have been sent to various network executives in New York and Los Angeles.

To get a better idea of just how much those nuts weigh, consider this: it would take 4,500 2-liter soda bottles to balance a scale against them.

hehe

At first I was gonna rant about NutsOnline for taking advantage of this, but after reading the article I say "kudos" and brilliant move on their part.

It's too bad everything is so neatly packaged though. It'd be funnier if a dump truck just showed up and dropped the nuts on someone's lawn or something. :D However, I'm sure that would lead to legal issues, but it would be hilarious.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
They may present a stagnant front, but if the WSJ is asking the CEO about it, the force must be strong with them :)

Besides, it's good to show them that there are some non-sheep out here still

It?s unbelievable the number of emails sent to us,? Mr. Moonves said, saying it had reached a level not seen since he canceled the religious themed ?Touched By An Angel? after 13 seasons. ?Unfortunately because the audience of [Jericho] is very tech savvy they learned to get around the blocking? and have flooded his inbox. (?Yeah, why listen to the viewers,? quipped Mr. Mossberg.)

WSJ article