Jeff Bezo's Amazon shows the True nature of the Rich Liberal

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
No no I wasn’t trying to say just because Dostoevsky wrote something it carries more weight. Those pages where the Grand Inquisitor lays out the charges against Jesus is one of the most profound pieces of writing I’ve ever come across.

Actually the worse the state of affairs is, personally or region wise, the higher the quality of art usually is. Suffering is an essential aspect of it. When did fat rich societies create great art? Look at the sorry state of American literature these days. So I disagree entirely with you on that

I don't feel equipped to engage in a debate about literature, to be honest, so I'm not going to. Mainly because you'd win.

I mean, I've read lots of it (including all of Fyodor's major works - Crime & Punishment made more sense to me, being more psychological and less theological), but I don't think I actually understood any of it. It just ruffled my hair lightly as it passed by overhead.

I remember struggling to keep my eyes open and on the page during that exact section. And I don't see how it relates to any poltiical issue today.

("Without God everything is permitted" - was that from that bit? I remember there was some Islamist outrage or other in the news around the time I read that, together with a case of a child being beaten to death in an attempted "exorcism", and it struck me that it's exactly the same _with_ God - with or without God you can find permission for almost anything if you try hard enough).

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Fair question. Before Trump, perhaps the thought didn’t even cross his mind. After Trump, especially since Trump is placing Amazon in his crosshairs, I think its safe to say Bezos would run as a Democrat.

He is running a company which success in part depends on public perception, for that reason alone I cant see him run as republican post Trump, or at least right after.... GOP needs to shed the smell first thats for sure. Before Trump? Sure I can see him run as a republican.

I am not totally objective when it comes to Bezos... Off the bat I think he comes off as a giant asshole, but he is building rockets and that is a very redeeming quality. I like rockets.

Noah Abrams

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2018
("Without God everything is permitted" - was that from that bit? I remember there was some Islamist outrage or other in the news around the time I read that, together with a case of a child being beaten to death in an attempted "exorcism", and it struck me that it's exactly the same _with_ God - with or without God you can find permission for almost anything if you try hard enough).

That is a rather narrow reading of that. God itself is such a complex topic and I’m not religious per se. But if you want to read it in a modern example, I’d suggest Europe and it’s truly terrifying future

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It's a bit simplistic to say "they can just build more houses" isn't it? Is that really possible in many parts of the country?

His political donations are all to Dems. Based on that and his stance on social issues I would call him a very moderate Democrat.

Doesn't he own the WaPo?

In almost all cases, they are legally required to try.

Yes it’s entirely possible to build more basically everywhere in the country.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Yes it’s entirely possible to build more basically everywhere in the country.

To an extent. In Seattle the ruling Council is also against "gentrification ruining neighborhoods" by replacing old single-family homes with high-rise luxury apartments or condos that "price the working class out of the market" and "change the historic character of the neighborhood."

They accept a certain amount of this as long as the companies involved pay extra taxes and/or also build subsidized low-income housing.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
NYT has a very interesting section on this topic. One of the pieces reads like this: It’s Law, But It Shouldn’t Be.
You are correct to suggest they don't have to focus strictly on short term profits, they can consider long term ones as well. So long as it is in the investor's interests. So my reply to your correction was the following:

Seems to hold, that it's accurate to blame Amazon's fiduciary duty in their resistance of new annual fees. That certainly is in the investor's interests.

I'll see your citation and give you a counter one, which also cites a recent supreme court case.

https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordeba...rs/corporations-dont-have-to-maximize-profits

As far as answering your question, its a little too broad to give you a definitive answer as there are thousands of tax rules. But I'll give you an example that I pulled out of my ass. Lets say there is a tax that goes towards infrastructure, infrastructure that a business relies on to get products out of its warehouse and to its customers. Because the business is so large it pays a large portion of that tax for the city it resides in. If the business avoids paying the tax the local infrastructure could deteriorate which could cause unnecessary wear and tear on their vehicles which can increase their maintenance costs and could delay shipments to their customers, leading to lower customer satisfaction and a reduction in sales.
Now lets say that the company uses a third party for its shipping. Now instead of the business paying an increase in maintenance costs their 3rd party logistics pays a higher cost. To recoup their own higher maintenance cost, they raise their shipping prices which in turn causes a reduction in profits or a raise in prices, which in turn reduces sales.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
It’s not an argument against providing good jobs, but when you move people into a city and pay them well above average, that drives up housing and other expenses resulting in some people at the bottom losing their access to housing and such.
Agreed. It happened in the Los Angeles suburb where I was born and lived for the first 36 years of my life. I just don't know if taxing the corporations bringing in the jobs to provide subsidized housing for the bottom will really motivate the bottom to do any better than they currently are. And I ask that question honestly. I would think maybe a combo of providing subsidized housing and subsidized education, in an effort to push the bottom up closer to the middle would be something to explore.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Agreed. It happened in the Los Angeles suburb where I was born and lived for the first 36 years of my life. It just don't know if taxing the corporations bringing in the jobs to provide subsidized housing for the bottom will really motivate the bottom to do any better than they currently are. And I ask that question honestly. I would think maybe a combo of providing subsidized housing and subsidized education, in an effort to push the bottom up closer to the middle would be something to explore.

Lazy Poors! They need 3 low wage jobs instead of 2, obviously.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Then why aren't they? Price? Mortgage rates going up? Regulations? Lack of land? Builders trying to control supply?

Zoning! People owning houses in low density neighborhoods block cities from creating higher density housing because they are more than happy to see housing prices increase.

This is why the new California bill to remove local control over zoning was such a good idea.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Zoning! People owning houses in low density neighborhoods block cities from creating higher density housing because they are more than happy to see housing prices increase.

This is why the new California bill to remove local control over zoning was such a good idea.

Wouldn't such a thing lead to urban sprawl (poorly planned communities)? If not why and are there better alternatives that you are aware of?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Wouldn't such a thing lead to urban sprawl (poorly planned communities)? If not why and are there better alternatives that you are aware of?

I mean no housing regulations whatsoever might lead to poorly planned communities but there is a massive, massive gulf between that and what currently exists in most US cities.

The better alternative is making more housing and lots of it. Lots and lots and lots. Instead of fighting an apartment tower being built communities should require the developer to make a second one next to it.