It's over! 2016 Election Night Results Thread!

Page 57 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
I edited my post, the Great Recession started during Bush's presidency.

Your correction is noted and respected.

That wasn't my point though.

As a guy who worked & managed sales people I knew we were on the wrong path. 2003/4 came and suddenly no person or business had extra funds all of a sudden price became the #1 objection. Price is always part of the process but when its the only thing that's weird or someone refuses a perfect solution over a 10-20% cost difference. Around 2005 management started playing hardball on sales peoples pay, then they moved to adjustable goals instead of set goals. I've put people on improvement plans that were ahead of goal for revenue attainment. Higher up looked at it like yeah there is extra coming in but I want more of this one thing, that the turned to if you get push back from sellers just post a new position they're cheap to replace.
Very frustrating time of my career.

Last edited:

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
I await a future episode of Drunk History and South Park.

....Too much great material here.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You heard wrong. The last time was 2003 - 2007.

The last time Democrats controlled "everything" (all three branches of Govt ) was 2009 - 2011.

so...republicans were in charge of creating the disaster and Dems the actual recovery?

I mean, it ain't that simple, but I guess that's what looking at single years and single moments of a party is supposed to tell us when we try to play these games. :\

Feb 4, 2009
so...republicans were in charge of creating the disaster and Dems the actual recovery?

I mean, it ain't that simple, but I guess that's what looking at single years and single moments of a party is supposed to tell us when we try to play these games. :\

Don't beat him up, he admitted he was wrong.

Nov 8, 2012
Just heard this. The last time the republicans controlled everything was 1928 right before the great depression.

You do realize that anytime there is a big depression, failure, etc... it's ALWAYS (Every. Single. Time) a large accumulation of mistakes and not identifying problems for a long period of time. Often times just sweeping things under the rug.

Few examples:

#1 - The recent housing crisis was an issue that accumulated year after year after year of ignoring signs of risk from lenders and subsequently falling apart all at once.

#2 - Companies falling, such as Enron for example - were from years and years of cooking the books and manipulating accounting data. The people that tried to raise their hand to call a red flag we're often ousted and gagged.

There will never be a president where things just magically happen under him that burst instantly into a depression.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Djia up 285. So much for doom. Doom. DOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM

You realize no Trump policies have gone into effect yet, right? And that he is not the current president?

Personally I will be taking and saving my tax cut and staying away from the stock market for quite some time. Although maybe some Raytheon and Lockheed Martin are a good buy as the US spends itself into more and more debt, exactly what most conservatives complain about.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The level of English used during the SotU has steadily been dropping . . . I expect Trump to average 2nd or 3rd grade levels
After the Shrub and Obama, it couldn't get much lower. The Shrub really is an idiot so I could forgive him talking like one but Obama was freaking Harvard Law grad and he should have talked like one.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
The level of English used during the SotU has steadily been dropping . . . I expect Trump to average 2nd or 3rd grade levels

giphy.gif

So deep, so eloquent.

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
Just brainstorming here but how bad would it be if we just split the country up? I mean we obviously don't have the same values and it seems to be about 50/50. How long should a country stay together when its citizens are so different? What would be a fair way to divide the country?

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
you really want to compare the speeches of drumpf and hillary? One phrase or sentence does not a candidate make. And yes, that's actually a pretty decent statement. We are good, by and large and that is what makes us great.

Ok Yoda, we are good. What does that mean?