Its official! WAR is coming Sept. 18!

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Very very impressed with my 1st day playing.

PvP is fantastic, Public Questing and Open Grouping are both great boons as well. I like that we can queue for scenarios on the fly and immediatly return to what we were doing.

It was a bit crowded on all of the servers, but thats to be expected on the 1st day of open beta.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
It all sounds fairly good so far, but wake me when they have a real open beta or free trial. :(

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: jwcooper
Originally posted by: Dumac
I love how everyone complains that the game is 'too slow' just because WoW is ridiculously easily.

Comparing the game to EQ...

There is a difference between the game feeling slow versus leveling slow.

Feeling slow means that the combat feels lethargic and boring, and it takes forever to get anywhere because of the slow running speed. I'm basically watching Dexter while leveling through War, and having no problems with it.

PVP/RVR is neat, but still just a slight evolution of what DAOC already had over 5 years ago (which a lot of us have already played...).

After it's all said and done, Warhammer will still do well, and be popular, because it pretty much plays and looks like WoW...

I should try some other classes to see how they play.

that's what i meant by slow as well, combat felt slow, except with my White Lion, and running seems slow.

what little pvp i did play felt exactly like wow's battlegrounds where you have to take the different "bases". I said from the beginning that it looked like a WoW clone, right down to the art style (maybe a little darker) but people said "no way, it's not". Well after playing it, I still say it's a WoW clone.

So what server are you on?

my order characters are on cragmere. my white lion is on Ulthuan and my "evil" characters are on Estalia.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Further update on the European side.

As we told you in previous news, the key validation system has been taken offline while our technical teams work on it. A lot of work has been done and some of the hardware on the database server has been changed as well as a lot of software improvements and our teams are still working hard to prepare the systems.

As a result, we will launch a new code registration page today at 16:00 CET. This new page will help to validate the massive amount of beta codes. After you validate the page, the request will be first stored and then checked via an asynchronous treatment . In any case you will receive an email informing you as to whether your code has been activated or if there was an error in either your login, password or code.

On a related topic; if you created a war-europe account yesterday and have a validation email for this, these changes will allow you to follow that link and validate your account.

Thank you for your patience.

I still can't login ,never know maybe by tonight or tomorrow :disgust: ,looks like Europeans got the very short straw with all this fiasco GOA has caused with not ensuring the system was ready for the open beta testers unlike USA/Mythic counterpart.

I'm slightly annoyed since I have purchased the CE version and still can't play.

Right off to play Clear Sky at least that never lets me down.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
This is a free, open beta test. Would you rather this happened on the actual launch day?

No. Thought not. So deal with it. You're not paying anything extra to be able to play, and it is just that: a TEST.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: drebo
This is a free, open beta test. Would you rather this happened on the actual launch day?

No. Thought not. So deal with it. You're not paying anything extra to be able to play, and it is just that: a TEST.

Tell that to all the European CE owners that paid hard cash so they can get into Open beta,and guess what?... European side is still messed up right now,would you have your company run a business like this,thought not :p

Looks like even they agree,

"As we realize that the events of this weekend are unacceptable and set our relationship off on the wrong foot, we are offering all our Collector's Edition preorderers an additional week of free game time."

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Here's the 'First Impressions' review I wrote from my Open Beta time yesterday:

I got a beta key from MMORPG.com, so I thought I'd give the game a try.

I started downloading from Fileplanet on Friday night. Or, rather, I entered the Fileplanet queue on Friday night, about 6 pm PDT. The downloader started on Saturday morning at about 6 am PDT. I wasn't too peeved, b/c I knew that was going to happen. By 9 am the downloader had crashed. When it restarted, it put me back in the queue, which was highly irritating.

At that point I went searching for a .torrent to download. After a couple of hours, I had found several, but none had more than 60% of the file seeded, so I gave up. By then I had moved to the front of the Fileplanet queue again to find that their download manager could not resume my previous download. I was in for another 8 hours of waiting.

Luckily, the second try worked without any hiccups, and I had the .rar by about 10 pm PDT. I spent the next 30 minutes decompressing and installing, as well as creating my Mythic account and registering my beta key.

At about 10:45 pm on Saturday, I tried to fire up the client, in case there were any patches. Unfortunately, since beta didn't start until Sunday, I couldn't access the patch server. I was hoping it was time locked, so I stayed up until past midnight PDT, but could never connect to the server, so I went to bed.

I woke up at 6 am PDT on Sunday and tried to fire up the client. What did I find? About 300 MB of patches to download! Thanks, EA/Mythic, for letting me get that taken care of.

The patch, at 300 MB, wasn't too bad in size. My connection would probably download that in about 10 minutes. Oh, wait, since none of the beta participants could pre-patch, Mythic's servers were hammered. It only took me 10 HOURS.

So, I got into the game mid-afternoon on Sunday. Being beta, and not being sure if I would like it, I felt no need to settle on any particular server. I did notice that ALL of the servers were 'core' rulesets, none of them were 'open' PvP. I picked one with 'high' Order and Destruction populations and rolled an Empire melee DPS'er (whatever it's called). I later rolled a Dark Elf range DPS'er on a different high-population server.

I had read in an interview with a developer that Warhammer intentionally had a lackluster character creation system. The point was that the player is a soldier in a war, not some all-powerful hero. You're a nameless body in a faceless mob. Even with that considered, I was underwhelmed. After trying a robust system like City of Heroes, I'm spoiled. Overall, it had more options than Warcraft, but that's not saying much. 6 aspects to customize is more than 3 or 4, but 6 feels more like a win-by-default than a true win. It didn't help that after several hours of gameplay I STILL looked like everyone else. Even the gear didn't change anything, since everyone got the same gear.

I entered the game without reading the manual. (I'm a guy, I don't read instructions!) The in-game help did a decent job describing things. The Tome of Knowledge, which is like the Warhammer version of the "Civlopedia" did help some also. I did find the ToK to be very cluttered and poorly organized. I can't imagine how ungainly it would be at Rank 40. It reminded me somewhat of the LOTRO Deed Log. It was definitely more informative, but also a lot less user-friendly.

The GUI was a mixed bag for me. In many respects, it felt WAY too cluttered. There was an XP bar, a PvP bar, and a Public Quest bar. There were buttons all over the place, not all of which would tooltip properly. Your bags, character info, ToK, settings, etc. were all across the top as well. The only items occupying the bottom were the action bar and the chat window. It really felt like the top of the screen was too busy and the bottom was too empty.

The graphics overall were ok. A bit more realistic (i.e., less-cartoony) than WoW. Quality was acceptable, though I believe other have said that higher-res options will ship with retail. I certainly hope so. I have a pretty top-of-the-line computer, and am getting spoiled by super-hi-res stuff, and DX10.

Performance was a bit sub-par, but I recognize that WAR is still technically in beta so I won't hit it too hard. Some retail games have much worse performance (*cough*AoC*cough*). There was some stuttering, even with medium level graphics. Mobs would bug out quite often, and there was no indication that they were bugged until you tried to attack them. The worst part about the bug was that they would still move and attack you, but you couldn't attack them!

The mobs bugs weren't too concerning, as nothing at that low of a rank was a challenge. While the game is incessantly compared to WoW, especially graphically, the gameplay felt quite a bit different to me. I would compare WAR's combat more to Tabula Rasa or Pirates of the Caribbean Online. It played, to me, much more like a Third-Person Shooter with RPG elements than an RPG. Combat was, for the most part, a skill spam-fest. Since most or all of your skills shared a timer, there wasn't a whole lot of strategy going on. This was especially true for the Dark Elf range DPS I tried. By the time I went to bed, I had 4 attack skills: a high-damage single-target skill with a long induction, an instant DoT, an instant medium-damage single-target skill with a longer cooldown, and an instant single-target attack that had damage that varied based on what other attacks you had used prior.

For me, PvE combat degenerated into a chain of high-damage (so I could get through the induction before I had aggro), then DoT, then instant damage, then if the mob hadn't dropped, the variable-damage. It took me about 5 minutes to figure out my chain, and once I had there wasn't much reason to stop using it. It was rather unsatisfying.

I did try out two of the T1 battlegrounds, the Empire/Chaos and High Elf/Dark Elf. The Empire/Chaos was fun, though Empire steamrolled due to numerical superiority. That BG was a standard "control the 3 hotspots until one side has 500 points". The Elf BG was also a hotspot battle, though there were only 2 and it had a nasty surprise lurking for the uninitiated. Dark Elves got beat ina close match by High Elves, mainly due to the Dark Elves stupidity. They had absolutely no teamwork going on. My battleground trials were fun, but they really would not keeping me coming back. It was nice that the game had collision detection, so that the tanks could form a defense, even if it really didn't work well.

I also tried the Public quests for good humans and evil elves. The concept was very nice. During beta, it seems to work well. Once the game goes live and most people get to higher Tiers, it seems like they could be a huge pain. Both T1 public quests were similar: kill tons of weak guys, then kill fewer slightly tougher guys, then kill 1 Hero-level enemy. They ended up being big clusterfudges that weren't aided by bugged mobs and questionable AI (mobs tended to run around seemingly at random, sometimes not attacking and sometimes just swinging once at everything they ran by until they were killed). If you don't have a dozen or so people available for them, they won't get done. A plus- they're pretty quick to complete. A minus- they reset every 2 minutes so there's really no sense of accomplishment.

Based on first-impressions, WAR is a decent game. It will have a pretty good following. Calling it an MMORPG is a bit of a misnomer, as I think it's more of an MMOTPS. PvP'ers will like that it's a bit more fast-twitch than WoW. It's definitely weak in PvE, the quests are cake and the map shows you where to go. If it didn't come with a $50-60 initial outlay as well as $15 per month (meaning you pay about $240 for the first year of access) I might find it a fun change-of-pace. For all of its faults, it is entertaining, which should be the #1 consideration. Still, I couldn't help but feel that it just won't hold my interest, as PvP is not a main concern of mine.

In its current state I'd rate it a C for me. It's ok, but not good enough to justify the expense. If I were to talk to someone off the street, I'd rate it a B. Even though I'm not a big fan, I can recognize that more people will like it than dislike it and my tastes in games are not mainstream.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Mem

Tell that to all the European CE owners that paid hard cash so they can get into Open beta,and guess what?... European side is still messed up right now,would you have your company run a business like this,thought not :p

"As we realize that the events of this weekend are unacceptable and set our relationship off on the wrong foot, we are offering all our Collector's Edition preorderers an additional week of free game time."

they paid for the retail version of the game, not the open beta.

OneEyeWillie

Sep 8, 2008
Here is some info that may have not been posted before. Yeah I'm too lazy to look :p I have only played in open beta, and have been playing characters to around 9, so I am not trying to impart sage advice here, just what I have seen.

Most levels, you get 1 new ability, rarely two. Also note that all of these abilities scale as you level. Aside from this, starting at level 11 you can train skills in your choice of 3 other trees. I am unsure if these scale as you level. Basically things start of really boring because you only have 1-3 skills worth using, and monsters die really fast. As I have leveled more options and combos seem to open up. Monsters also seem to be getting a bit tougher. It feels like Everquest, where classes really didn't start to show their true colors til almost mid level.

As you gain PvP ranks you can spend points in abilities that let you deal more damage, raise stats/resists and so on. Bears a resemblance to EQ II AA tree.

So far other than quests, there seems to be three ways to get good/decent gear. The PvP vendor, public quests, and the faction vendor. For the first, as you gain PvP ranks, you unlock new items. For the last, it seems you have to run the public quest in that NPC's area over and over to unlock the items he has.

When you finish the final stage of a public quest, everyone who participated automatically rolls on the chest. Everyone gets a modifier on their roll based on their effort. The more you contributed, be it dpsing or healing, the bigger the modifier. This gives you a better chance of a loot bag. It is still possible to be outrolled by someone with a low modifier though, although it's been rare. The bag you get has around 10 items in it. These range from gear, to money, to what I assume is trade skill fodder. You only get to pick one item out of the bag, so I stick with the gear.

The only real bug I have encountered so far is monsters sometimes "evading" similar to what's been happening in WoW off and on. There is a bit of lag off and on, but I attribute that to the debugger that is running.

In the scenarios that I have done, which have been similar to Arathi Basin matches, Everyone gets thier level set to the average level of all the players in the match. You don't get new abilities or lose any, you just get the extra hp and so on from the levels gained.

Zones feel fairly small so far. Most quest monsters or targets are usually within 2 minutes of the quest giver. So far all quests have been soloable other than the public quests. I think anyone can solo the first stage of the public quests, but after that you really need a group or two of people to be able to finish the rest of the stages. These quests have two types of "elite" mobs Champion, followed by Hero. Hero seems to be reserved for the boss at the last stage.

There is zero strategy in pulling so far. In many areas, I have had 2-3 mobs standing right next to each other and can range pull them solo. This also seems to include named quest monsters as well. Agro range is amazingly small. You can literally stand within a couple yards of anything and it will not agro. Once I slid off a hill into a higher level area and the monsters that were a couple levels higher than me would agro from a bit farther away than monsters my level or below. Still, to this point, there is no real strategy so far, (to level 10), in solo PvE... Range pull if you have to, dps it down, wait 1-6 seconds for health etc to regen full, and repeat.

One thing I do like so far, is that alot of the classes with healing ability gain a boost to healing by dpsing. At least one of the healerish types actually has to be doing melee damage to compliment thier healing skills.

Running at 1600 x 1200 with everything available, (which is not a lot at the moment), turned to maximum, the open beta looks slightly better than WoW. There is much higher detail on characters, especially if you zoom in close. Some of the bigger buildings look amazing. On the down side, most of the areas in the game are very plain and look kind of vacant. Many of the areas between objectives look like they had a couple trees and 4-8 monsters that are not associated with any quests put there just to have something in the area.

So far all characters of the same class look exactly the same, which may change down the road a tiny bit when people start dying gear.

Keeping in mind this is just open beta, I would call this a casual player's mmorpg and give it overall a 5 out of 10.

Apologies for the bad formatting, and keep in mind a lot of the above is one old gamer's opinion.

PS. I think fileplanet has open beta keys for people with accounts

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I think a big thing that a lot of people aren't realizing is the first tier of areas is pretty simple and everything is made a bit easier for you to get a feel of the game. So the first 10 levels aren't all that deep.
Too many people are judging the game and think they are experts when they are like level 4.

A lot of things start to change when you get higher in level. Mob's become much more social, aggro ranges are more appropriate, have a variety of skills then.
You also need to take into account people are not going to do things they will normally do when they are playing on live servers, same as they will do stuff that they won't do on live. Since it is open beta people are trying out extremes to know what works and doesn't for when they get to seriously play.

The game really is based around you getting to learn your characters ablities from the very beginning, thats why you can join scenarios instantly that why when you become high level in RvR you actually know what you are doing. Unfortunately this doesn't translate well in Open Betas/Preview weekends cause there is no use in people trying cause the characters are going to be wiped anyways. So people aren't going to work together much, they aren't going to much, they just want to get a feel for the class they are playing.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
is there a world or region chat? no one ever talks to anyone else as far as i've seen. feels kind of dead and non-mmo-ish to not see any chat going on.

OneEyeWillie

Sep 8, 2008
KaOTiK, are you speaking from experience in this particular game, or is that just speculation based on previous mmorpgs?

Malladine

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2003
is there a world or region chat? no one ever talks to anyone else as far as i've seen. feels kind of dead and non-mmo-ish to not see any chat going on.

You'll get used to it, if there isn't. Meeting people in "person" means more when there's no general chat. Might not be a good idea for the devs to do that though, if they did, given certain expectations MMO players have these days!

Glavinsolo

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2004
I was in the preview weekend+ and played it til level 16. Nothing really was calling me back to play it and I have reverted back to playing TF2. The game really feels like a 3rd person TF2 at times. If I were to offer a suggestion to the WAR dev. it would be that they should balance your progression between pve/pvp. A pvp person can level much much faster than a pve person.

Also a pve person may never read much into their quests. The quest is automatically set to instant text. An area on your map is highlighted red and your quest is tracked on the side. You may never realize what exactly it is you are doing or why you are doing it but you know you are going to get closer to your next level. A little mind numbing when you think about it.

Public quests are good but a little bit more voice acting and reasons as to why I am partaking in the public quest would go a long way. I applaud the influence points towards different zones.

At level 16 I didn't see much in the ways of going into a dungeon with some friends.

Anyhow I'll have to go with a 5/10. Nothing really calls me back to play the game. I wanted to really get into talisman making but its almost impossible without playing the auction house which was down when I was in the inevitable city. Talisman making requires materials for salvaging/scavenging and cultivation/apothecary on top of your talisman making skills. So either you have some other characters or you barter with some friends to skill up.

I want to thank Mythic EA though, they gave me a chance to make up my mind about the game and in doing so I have canceled my pre-order and haven't spent a penny on the game.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: OneEyeWillie
KaOTiK, are you speaking from experience in this particular game, or is that just speculation based on previous mmorpgs?

Experience, I've been in the beta for quite awhile.

noto12ious

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2001

try /1

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Mem

they paid for the retail version of the game, not the open beta.

Actually CE owners paid for both since Open beta is part of CE version,

WAR Collector's Edition Pre-Order Program

Only 60,000 units of the Collector's Edition will be available in North America so don't miss out. Pre-order your copy today! You'll have the chance to gear up with special items and experience the glory of Realm vs. Realm? combat before the rest of the recruits even set foot in the game world.

Special WAR Collector's Edition Pre-Order Bonuses Include:

OPEN BETA ACCESS
Be one of the first players to experience the glory of battle and the thrill of WAR when the open beta phase begins!

LIVE GAME HEAD START
Begin your adventures in the Age of Reckoning before the raw recruits arrive!

BONUS IN-GAME ITEMS
Equip your characters for the journey to the frontlines with these helpful bonus items!

I'm not trying to bash the game just very disappointed that many European Warhammer players like myself still can't get into Open Beta Access,the game goes live soon and if things remain as they are even the live date is doubtful,there's a lot of threads on GOA and their Beta Access handling here (335 pages at the moment) and here ,ask yourself this why is it Mythic on the US side had a pretty smooth launch with Open Beta Access when GOA on European side had major problems right from the start?..You have to point the finger somewhere and I'm afraid its GOA's fault.

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Anyone else having trouble queuing for pvp scenarios post the first 10 levels? I can queue fine but it never actually pops up so I haven't gotten to do any of the other scenarios

I'm wondering if the server I am on lacks players compared to the others

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Judgement
Anyone else having trouble queuing for pvp scenarios post the first 10 levels? I can queue fine but it never actually pops up so I haven't gotten to do any of the other scenarios

I'm wondering if the server I am on lacks players compared to the others

odds are you are destruction

destruction queues can be up to 4hours during the day due to the severe population imbalances.

I'd play destruction myself, but now I'm leaning towards order, as I get pretty much instant PVP all day long.

Also there's been a lot of server crashing today from what I've seen. and they introduced a lot of bugs with the last 4.1.1 patch.

If they don't get it ironed out soon, I'm thinking I may wait a few months to purchase the game.

Jules

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Just started playing the beta last night. Its pretty good. Not many people talk at all and that kind of kills it for me. Im gonna play it for a few days more but so far i think i will pass on getting the retail copy on the 18th.