Its official! WAR is coming Sept. 18!

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Very exciting, maybe it will be as polished / finished as LotRO was at launch (they really raised the bar, even if I did not care for the game). Hopefully my 16 hours of junior / senior level computer science / mathematics classes (and 2 hour thesis writing class) will not be as bad as they sound so I can send the bulk of my free time in it once it launches. I still will have to wait a week for reviews to avoid another Vanguard (although I must say Vanguard is MUCH better now than in late beta, if they had launched it in its current state, it would have probably been successful, but the damage to the name is now irreversible).

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
The day is finally coming... Looking forward to it. No plans to pre-order though at this time. Pricing looks to be on par with most other MMOs.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
If I remember right, I think lotro had an open beta for a week or so shortly before game release and if you preordered you could put in your key and the char you started in beta would not be erased when it went live. Would be nice for them all to give such an open experience, but they are probably afriad of early bad word from some killing sales.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Open beta char are deleted before it goes live. They are also capped to lvl 20. But a big deal, but if you get a nerdgazm for the game you can test it out at least early.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Looking at how badly Mythic screwed up DAoC, I'm not optimistic about this game.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: lupi
If I remember right, I think lotro had an open beta for a week or so shortly before game release and if you preordered you could put in your key and the char you started in beta would not be erased when it went live. Would be nice for them all to give such an open experience, but they are probably afriad of early bad word from some killing sales.

Yeah, that worked out really well. I think you were capped at level 15, but still, you could do crafting and other things with your character to prep it for going live.

What a great launch that was.

KT

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Blizz has been really good about on-going development & refinement. Can the same be predicted for these guys?

SZLiao214

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
It's nice to know the date is pretty soon! I was thinking of leveling another character in wow to mess around with but looks i won't be doing that.

jackace

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2004
Open beta for most games seems to only be a couple weeks. If I remember right WoW was only 2 weeks. It's more of a stress test on the servers and let people see what the game looks like.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: drebo
Looking at how badly Mythic screwed up DAoC, I'm not optimistic about this game.

They've taken over UO too and are laying waste to the last remnants of that game.

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor

They've taken over UO too and are laying waste to the last remnants of that game.

UO needs to be removed - that game has became crap long before it was touched by Mythic.

I think it's funny that people rag on Mythic so much - they did have balance problems (see Zerkers nerf screwing SBs, Archery fuckups) along with a screwed up expansion.

But they set precedence. They ADMITTED they screwed those up (never seen that done in the industry) along with probably the most stable release up until LotR:eek:. They also continually pushed out weekly updates for over a year, either adding new spells to help achieve balance or add new items. They also have one of the most functional PvP systems to date, and gear balancing on the Classic servers.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I believe open beta starts on the 15th August,so CE owners like myself can get a feel of the character classes etc before it goes live :).

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Mark Jacobs posted on VN Boards that those of us who ordered the Collector's Edition will be able to participate in the closed beta next week. Also, we get dibs on the Preview Weekend, and we start the Head Start a day earlier.

But since I'm in the beta, doesn't really mean much to me :p I just want the graphic book.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Damnit!

Got an email on the way home from warhammer and thought maybe it was a beat invite with the other news coming out. Was just the new newsletter :(

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: dreadpiratedoug
But they set precedence. They ADMITTED they screwed those up (never seen that done in the industry)
Because nobody has ever screwed up so big so many times. A lot of those screw ups were attempts to fix previous screw ups. There is no nobility in admitting you were wrong if you don't prove that you've LEARNED from your mistakes. There were HUGE logical flaws in DAOC's DESIGN. We're not talking about AO having bandwidth issues or Shadowbane having server stability issues or any other unforseen development problems that would only arise after launch......DAOC was designed poorly.....and then it was fixed poorly.

And now, how many years later, they're STILL trying to right the game with a classic server. But that's alright because they admitted their mistakes. :roll:
along with probably the most stable release up until LotR:eek:.
They deserve credit for that, but they also made it #1 priority on the heels of the AO debacle. And it shows.
They also continually pushed out weekly updates for over a year, either adding new spells to help achieve balance or add new items. They also have one of the most functional PvP systems to date, and gear balancing on the Classic servers.

They'll do the same with WAR. The expansion packs will come hot and heavy. The updates will be so frequent you'll feel like they care. But the bigger issues will be fundamental and any attmpts to fix them, just like in DAOC, will be futile.

As for UO, it's still fixable. It still offers a unique experience amongst all MMOs. But Mythic is the wrong team for it to be in the hands of because they're going to, as we've seen so far, implement their typical half-baked solutions and updates.

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Trials of Atlantis was the Death Knell for DAoC, no question about it. But I did enjoy the prior x-pac, Catacombs, and even New Frontiers for a while.

Class Balancing was a weak point, to point it mildly, in DAoC. So many glaring issues with classes that went unchanged for years. Anyone who played a Theurgist or Armsman can attest to that.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005

Yeah and considering the last time they delayed WAR there were rumors that that Mythic was making it more WoW like because thats what the beta testers were demanding supposedly. Since I have been playing AoC I havent been following WAR so not sure whats being said or shown publicly. I'll try it though because it has RvR in it. I sure hope Mythic learned from their past DAoC mistakes.

ArmchairAthlete

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2002

Lessons were learned, and they (we) have a lot more tools to make design decisions with now.

I've spent the last three months doing what I could to make WAR better, so I can't wait to see the launch even though I'll be back in school for my last semester.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Skott

Yeah and considering the last time they delayed WAR there were rumors that that Mythic was making it more WoW like because thats what the beta testers were demanding supposedly. Since I have been playing AoC I havent been following WAR so not sure whats being said or shown publicly. I'll try it though because it has RvR in it. I sure hope Mythic learned from their past DAoC mistakes.

RvR is a flawed system. It's artificial motivation for PvP and it doesn't hold up.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
Wow, did mythic shoot your dog or something? Christ, relax.

Am I putting a cock block on your boner for this game or something? At worst I'm tempering expectations and at best clarifying misconceptions.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
Wow, did mythic shoot your dog or something? Christ, relax.

Am I putting a cock block on your boner for this game or something? At worst I'm tempering expectations and at best clarifying misconceptions.

Thank you for bringing your brilliantly informed insight to this thread that was clearly crying out for your attention. To which world problem are you going to direct your gift to next? May I suggest Darfur.