"It was feeling like some kind of Klan rally"

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
WOW! Another race baiting thread from one of the biggest race baiters here. They have done this to bush, clinton, bush sr, reagan and many other presidents. This wasn't racism at all since they have done this numerous times to whites. Apparently the OP and the idiot in the article have never been to a rodeo.

Shame on you for trying to make this about race.

Umm I am from the country and have been to many rodeos. My cousin was a very good bullrider and I hee hawed with the country boys. And almost all of them were damn good people too. Depicting the president being rundown by a bull is rather extreme.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Umm I am from the country and have been to many rodeos. My cousin was a very good bullrider and I hee hawed with the country boys. And almost all of them were damn good people too. Depicting the president being rundown by a bull is rather extreme.

I agree. they shouldn't have done that to bush or Obama. but it is not racist.

if you been to rodeos then you know a good portion are African-American. i don't see this as a race issue but as a bunch rather independent people that don't like the government much.

BlueWolf47

Apr 22, 2005
That broom stick up his ass was pretty classy. The rodeo clown was probably venting his sexual confusion. They don't call em goat ropers for nothing.

Apr 27, 2012

There were similar things done to bush as well though. It's not just obama.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
There were similar things done to bush as well though. It's not just obama.

Did I say it was racist? I said it was rather extreme and I can certainly see how it could have been interpreted as being racist. But black people are apart of rodeo, its a country thing, not just a white thing. This was just poor taste, given the climate, they should not have done this.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
There were two clowns, if I get it right. The mask-wearer and the lip-tickler.

The lip tickling worries me. It takes us back to the days of Uncle Remus.
Twain/Clemens could deconstruct all this...

Let's entertain the possibility that there was racist intent. There's no statement of events which demonstrates that's true but for our purposes say it's not impossible. Wouldn't reason suggest that something substantial be the proof? If idiots were automatically racist we'd be knee deep in blood.

Also let's pick a fictional blue race and call them bleems so we have less emotional baggage for an analysis.

Now Bleems have been persecuted in the past and there is discrimination ongoing on occasion. Further, let's remove famous politicians from this because hackery is will select most any situation for advantage. So the Bleem in question is a famous Shakespearian actor who only does plays in Klingon. In fact he's regarded by some fans as the finest of his day.

Sadly, there is a group which in the past who has persecuted Bleems to the point of murder. They are of green majority race, the Skyrons.This organization has had those fangs pulled but clearly they possess all the hatred from those days.

Someone intentionally mocks the bleem actor and being blue is some part of the reason for it. Maybe. In any case a common thing is done which is to lampoon actors by exaggerating physical features. That meant the mask was exaggerated. Tasteless perhaps but that hardly means the wearer intends to abuse bleems, but news sensation sells in this world to. The emotional statement was pushed and that would be that but Shakespeare is serious stuff. The two main divisions are those who want it in Klingon and those who do Romulan only. Some members of each group are openly hostile to criticism and despise the other side.

Well...
On their Wide World Sponge there is a computer forum which has a part for Shakespeare and News.

One fellow loves this stuff and it's Klingon or wrong. Little Bongo we'll call him. He has a few dominating concerns he posts about. One is how racist Skyons who favor Romulen are and defending his favorite actor. So he sees the opportunity to use an emotional statement devoid of any factual basis to make the actor a victim. The possibility that perhaps the real motivation is that the "racist" doesn't like the acting is dismissed. He had supporters like The Savage Testicle who also indulges in excessive hyperbole.

Other members like Ridiculously Fast Motorcyclist finds the shameless opportunistic mentality to be the most offensive thing, being all to common.

When someone must be a racist for not liking Shakespearian Klingon or bad actors then somethings amiss.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally Posted by irishScott
And actually Missouri was never formally a member of the confederacy, so they can't really claim 150 year old baggage either.
You have no idea what you're talking about-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_secession

Sure he does. From your link:

At the beginning of the war, the governor of Missouri was Claiborne Fox Jackson, a Southern sympathizer who favored secession. At his inauguration (months before the war started at Fort Sumter) Jackson requested the authorization of a state constitutional convention in order to consider the relationship between Missouri and the Federal government. A special referendum approved the Missouri constitutional convention and delegates were elected. Contrary to Jackson's expectations, no avowed secessionist delegates were elected. In February, Governor Jackson unsuccessfully argued for Missouri's secession before the State Constitutional Convention convened to debate the issue under the leadership of former governor Sterling Price. Most of Missouri, like Price, held "conditional Unionist" beliefs at this point, meaning they did not favor secession but did not support the North imposing war on or coercing the Southern states either.

Missouri didn't secede from the Union.

Fern

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Well there was that time the Dixie Chicks said they didn't like Bush and everyone was totally OK with it.

funny you remember everyone being "totally OK with it."

I recall redneck record stores all over the country banning their albums, mass album burnings in Hickville, USA, public apologies that they made, etc etc.

Lol. Very many people were not OK with that.

:hmm:

Oh, you're being sarcastic, eh?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
State fairs are for rednecks, where farmers can drool over tractors and show off their prize pigs. It makes sense that you'll find more Republicans at state fairs. I'm sure there were plenty of art galleries that had pictures of Bush with a Hitler mustache, possibly done in Warhol style.

This.

I honestly have no problem with it. My first thought is that this rodeo is just rednecks getting their jollies. Let em have it.

------
and for the record--Bush made that goddamn monkey face. What do you expect?

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
There is no evidence this is racist. Did you have the same problem when it was done to bush?

Ok show me when did they ever do this to Bush?? Not once did I ever see them do this to Bush, putting a face of him on and in front of bulls saying hes a clown and indicating hes a clown, and letting bulls mow him down. Aside from any implied racism, its just downright disrespectful period to our sitting president. In addition the state fair is funded in part by taxpayer money. So yea, they were stupid to do this and many folks in the crowd were not all pleased with this. Many were in fact offended.

Apr 27, 2012
Did I say it was racist? I said it was rather extreme and I can certainly see how it could have been interpreted as being racist. But black people are apart of rodeo, its a country thing, not just a white thing. This was just poor taste, given the climate, they should not have done this.

Whether they should have done this or not is debatable but they have the right to do this. When bush was president lots of bad things were done to him and I didn't see the left complaining. This wasn't in poor taste considering what obama and his ilk have done to Conservatives.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Ok show me when did they ever do this to Bush?? Not once did I ever see them do this to Bush, putting a face of him on and in front of bulls saying hes a clown and indicating hes a clown, and letting bulls mow him down. Aside from any implied racism, its just downright disrespectful period to our sitting president. In addition the state fair is funded in part by taxpayer money. So yea, they were stupid to do this and many folks in the crowd were not all pleased with this. Many were in fact offended.

When did you become the good little flag waving tool? So free speech should be squelched because it's "disrespectful"?

You must have been raging mad for 8 years as Bush was disrespected constantly with comparisons to Hitler and all the monkey caricatures. I somehow doubt it though. You were probably laughing and forwarding it to everyone in your address book. :awe:

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
This was just poor taste, given the climate, they should not have done this.
Given what f'n "climate"? Is it not ok to mock the damn President now?!

I don't want to live in a country where we can't mock the President. That would fly in the face of every principle we have ever held dear.

The clown who was fired and banned should sue his old employer and the NAACP for every damn penny they own. Fuck ALL of them!

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Sure he does. From your link:

Missouri didn't secede from the Union.

Fern

Heh. Deliberately obtuse often?

Yeh, yeh you are, which is the whole point of all this coy denial of racism.

I took issue with the claim that Missouri didn't have baggage from the Civil War, when that's obviously false.

Taking a small excerpt from a rather lengthy article explaining all that means you went to a fair amount of trouble to create wiggle room for denial. I mean, what does the very first paragraph say, anyway?

There's this, as well-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantrill's_Raiders

Not to mention that members of that organization became the James Gang, widely regarded as folk heroes in western Missouri.

BlueWolf47

Apr 22, 2005
Lol at all the conservatives playing the bush card. Though its a very useful card if i might say myself.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Heh. Deliberately obtuse often?

Yeh, yeh you are, which is the whole point of all this coy denial of racism.

I took issue with the claim that Missouri didn't have baggage from the Civil War, when that's obviously false.

Taking a small excerpt from a rather lengthy article explaining all that means you went to a fair amount of trouble to create wiggle room for denial. I mean, what does the very first paragraph say, anyway?

There's this, as well-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantrill's_Raiders

Not to mention that members of that organization became the James Gang, widely regarded as folk heroes in western Missouri.

150 years ago, a hick put together a small band of raiders to provide support that the Confederacy itself didn't want. Therefore, most people at this rodeo committed implicit racism. I approve of this logic.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Aside from any implied racism, its just downright disrespectful period to our sitting president.
1. It had nothing to do with racism except to those who look and somehow find racism under every rock.
2. We live in a free country where we are free to disrespect the President any damn time we want, and I'm grateful for that.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
150 years ago, a hick put together a small band of raiders to provide support that the Confederacy itself didn't want. Therefore, most people at this rodeo committed implicit racism. I approve of this logic.

It's your logic, and your strawman.

It's also expected behavior.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
It's your logic, and your strawman.

It's also expected behavior.

Your argument began that rural Missouri is so obviously Southern in its people and culture and compared it to one of the most infamously racist and segregated towns of Alabama. To respond to IrishScott's post that criers of racism cannot "claim 150 year old baggage", you brought up the fact there was a failed secession attempt and a small violent pro-Confederacy movement present in Missouri, and then mention "the whole point of all this coy denial of racism". You don't explicitly ever state the logic as concisely as above, but unless you're bringing up anecdotes about Missouri from 150 years ago with no intended purpose of linking them to the argument that this rodeo was fueled by racist fervor, it's pretty obvious what your intent is.

And from what I can tell, the James-Younger Gang was a band of assorted outlaws with no explicit racial message even if they were comprised mostly of ex-Confederate soldiers and vagabonds. More guilt-by-association fallacies from you.