It is possible that Democrats will gain, not lose in November. Here's why/how.

Page 31 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Can’t blame the Dems. I blame the voting public being this ignorant to ever want to vote R. If the Dems put up a potato, no sane voter should select the R candidate.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Perhaps it is not as bad as I thought, since most recent polls show about a 5% lead for Waltz. That is pretty close to the margin of error though, and still pretty pathetic considering in the spring Waltz was leading by 15 points. It is also horrible considering the quality of the Jensen/Burk ticket. It is amazing that anything more than the 35% MAGA crowd will even consider voting for them.

Walz won by 11 points in 2018 which was a big year for the dems. Expecting a double digit win this year is probably unrealistic even though he is still quite heavily favored.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Perhaps it is not as bad as I thought, since most recent polls show about a 5% lead for Waltz. That is pretty close to the margin of error though, and still pretty pathetic considering in the spring Waltz was leading by 15 points. It is also horrible considering the quality of the Jensen/Burk ticket. It is amazing that anything more than the 35% MAGA crowd will even consider voting for them.
Polling averages have much smaller margins of error than individual polls and a 7.6% advantage in 538 is well outside that margin of error. We would need a major polling miss for Walz not to win.

As far as it being bad, Walz won by ~11% in a blowout year for Democrats so winning by 7.6% in a strong Republican year is to me about the same thing. It would also be a larger win than Democrats had in 2014, 2010, 2006, and 2002 (Dems lost in 2006 and 2002)

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
We really do need a 5th "reaction" emoji to differentiate between laughing "WITH" vs laughing "AT" something.

;)

Though that would just be the return of the "down vote", which never worked very well.

Wish they'd bring back the "informative" emoji though. Some posts tell me something new but aren't necessarily something to 'like'.

Reactions: Captante

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Why not blame the people who vote for Republicans. The self flagellation going on now is amusing.

Reactions: feralkid

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Reactions: iRONic

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Why not blame the people who vote for Republicans. The self flagellation going on now is amusing.
Blaming the people who vote republican is not going to change their vote. In fact in just buys into their sense of being oppressed and leads them to dig in even further. OTOH, a stronger, more diversified message from the Dems might sway a few independent/undecided voters. Ultimately, though, not many people are going to change their minds at this point. The midterms are going to come down to which side can get the better turnout.

Franz316

Sep 12, 2000
Polls aren't looking so good in PA, GA, AZ and OH. It's incredible that such shitty candidates can actually win in this country. I'm not one to say much hyperbole, but we could be looking at the end of a functioning America. We have an upcoming 2 years of nothing get done, and then the floodgates open in 2024 with the compromised state legislators and judicial system taking over the election. I was afraid people were going to blame inflation and cost of living increases on Dems, and it seems to be coming to fruition. I hope I'm wrong though. I'll stand by my belief that Neoliberalism will always end in Fascism.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
We really do need a 5th "reaction" emoji to differentiate between laughing "WITH" vs laughing "AT" something.

;)
Yeah, they took that away and it sucks. Myself, I don't bother with the laugh emoji unless I'm actually laughing. I don't use it to register disagreement. I realize that others' usage of it usually denotes that, however. Yeah, ostensibly it says the poster is laughing but I figure figuratively, not actually for the most part. I often don't post that laugh emoji just because I don't want people to think I'm disparaging the post. It's become a problem, therefore. It's generally hard to tell if people don't like a post or if they find it amusing... big difference!

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Polls aren't looking so good in PA, GA, AZ and OH. It's incredible that such shitty candidates can actually win in this country. I'm not one to say much hyperbole, but we could be looking at the end of a functioning America. We have an upcoming 2 years of nothing get done, and then the floodgates open in 2024 with the compromised state legislators and judicial system taking over the election. I was afraid people were going to blame inflation and cost of living increases on Dems, and it seems to be coming to fruition. I hope I'm wrong though. I'll stand by my belief that Neoliberalism will always end in Fascism.
Yeah, those races according to the polls quoted on ABC network news last night have drifted to the right compared to the day before, but the final word on it was "it all depends on turnout." I am anything but canny interpreting polling. I hope turnout for Democrats >> Republicans. Obama and Biden and Beau have got it right.

Beau:

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010

But when I say it ... it's "being hysterical."

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
But when I say it ... it's "being hysterical."
Right, because you predict doom no matter the circumstances. It's not a rational way of looking at the world.

I think Fetterman will win PA but as I said months ago if you DO turn out to be right you will say 'see, I told you all and you wouldn't listen!' while ignoring the fact that you always make the same prediction and then ignore it when you're wrong.

Feb 4, 2009
All signs point to D’s getting slaughtered this cycle. We need to be realistic and prepared.
Makes sense too because they’ve held both chambers & the presidency and have accomplished nothing that normal people are happy or proud about.
We can blame Simina or Manchin and that is not the point. They had ample opportunity to move the ball forward and failed.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
All signs point to D’s getting slaughtered this cycle. We need to be realistic and prepared.
Makes sense too because they’ve held both chambers & the presidency and have accomplished nothing that normal people are happy or proud about.
We can blame Simina or Manchin and that is not the point. They had ample opportunity to move the ball forward and failed.

They only held both chambers by a narrow margin, Simmy and Manchin screwed Americans for their own gain.

“normal” people won’t be happy until Dem’s get to really get some shit done. If Americans think electing another GOP regime is gonna do anything but funnel money to the top on the backs or “normal” people, then so be it.

p.s. - what’s up meat 😝

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004

For those who believe all signs are bad for Democrats, I suggest watching this video which analyses early voting data...

I'm not going to bet on Dems keeping a majority in the House, but there are sound statistics to support Dem strength in red states which favors keeping the Senate.

Feb 4, 2009
They only held both chambers by a narrow margin, Simmy and Manchin screwed Americans for their own gain.

“normal” people won’t be happy until Dem’s get to really get some shit done. If Americans think electing another GOP regime is gonna do anything but funnel money to the top on the backs or “normal” people, then so be it.

p.s. - what’s up meat 😝
Doing well. Got my 5G millimeter band upgrade about two hours ago. I should be well protect against COVID thru the holidays. Hopefully tomorrow isn’t spent napping on the couch.
Need to do some resume work which I hate doing. Potential for a nice work upgrade from a dude I have some common connections with. Current job is okay but that is all it’s not bad and it’s not good it is just there.
Going to paint the bathroom today I am 90% prepped. Nice to have today off to get stuff done.
We need to do a meetup sometime maybe the Worcester area.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Doing well. Got my 5G millimeter band upgrade about two hours ago. I should be well protect against COVID thru the holidays. Hopefully tomorrow isn’t spent napping on the couch.
Need to do some resume work which I hate doing. Potential for a nice work upgrade from a dude I have some common connections with. Current job is okay but that is all it’s not bad and it’s not good it is just there.
Going to paint the bathroom today I am 90% prepped. Nice to have today off to get stuff done.
We need to do a meetup sometime maybe the Worcester area.

cool man, woostah probably works!

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Well, at least Dems have veto power for another 2 years. After that...
Idiot voters would hold it against Biden if the last half of his term is a lame duck session. Not see that the Repugnicans were just obstructing and were putting up bogus bills.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
  • Haha
Reactions: gothuevos