It is possible that Democrats will gain, not lose in November. Here's why/how.

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I watched the Fetterman segment on NBC tonight. It was not a good look for him.

There's some conversation to be had here but there's a narrow needle to thread.

They can steer the conversation around the quality of a response or position and not the speed it's delivered.

It's hard to not open the Pandora's box of age based and dementia topics though.

Drach

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2022

They can steer the conversation around the quality of a response or position and not the speed it's delivered.

It's hard to not open the Pandora's box of age based and dementia topics though.
I missed it. Could you elaborate further? Do you have a link?
It certainly is not my business because I live on the left coast but I am curious on what is happening on the right coat.
I assume a dead skunk would be better than the quack.

Last edited:

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
I missed it. Could you elaborate further? Do you have a link?
It certainly is not my business because I live on the left coast but I am curious on what is happening on the right coat.
I assume a dead skunk would be better than the quack.
I didn’t watch the NBC segment, but it’s believed he has some form of audible dyslexia. So the interview was handled by close captioning. So after he read the questions, his responses were very clear and concise. But if he asks for this for the debate, Oz will say no.

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
I’ll make my prediction now, Republicans take House by five...Senate 52-48, who controls/wins the Senate is up in the air but I’m leaning/ hoping it’s the Dems.
Let’s see how I do.

GOP takes house by 10+
Vance beats Tim Ryan easily
Oz and Walker squeak it out
Ron Johnson holds on
Kelly holds off Masters
Laxalt wins in NV

As far as governor...I think Shapiro beats Mastriano, DeSantis wins easily, coin flip in AZ.

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic and hal2kilo

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

Not the way I saw it. Once he could read the question his answers were on point and to the subject.

He was also on MSNBC at 10pm as well. Same story. He's cognitively fine. He's got one mildly impaired sense right now, and it's improving.

For the record, there are 2 current senators that have suffered more severe strokes while in their offices.

This whole discussion is an exercise in "journalistic balance" for the obvious mental issues that someone like Walker has in GA and it's downright fucking pathetic. One is obviously all there, the other has (at best) scrambled eggs for brains.

Reactions: hal2kilo

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

That should be the clip I saw last night. I think it was more the framing and how NBC sold it that hurt. The message should be about what he represents and how he represents his constituents and how well he communicates doesn't change that. I also don't like how they spun the medical questions and response.

We as a country try to both sides personal health issues. We don't want to disclose anything of our own, but demand it from others.

Jul 9, 2009

That should be the clip I saw last night. I think it was more the framing and how NBC sold it that hurt. The message should be about what he represents and how he represents his constituents and how well he communicates doesn't change that. I also don't like how they spun the medical questions and response.

We as a country try to both sides personal health issues. We don't want to disclose anything of our own, but demand it from others.
He can't even understand a spoken word, but it's par for the course from a party that features a brain damaged old senile bastard like Biden..........not to mention that joke of a Vice-President.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
He can't even understand a spoken word, but it's par for the course from a party that features a brain damaged old senile bastard like Biden..........not to mention that joke of a Vice-President.
Have you ever read a transcript of a trump speech? Of course not it'd destroy your faux image of him. And let's not forget the brain-trust of Boebert, Traitor Green, Walker, etc. There's just tooo many to list them all.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

NBC did a significant disservice to its audience with how they framed what happened and Republicans are trying to capitalize on that.

We've got congress people in wheel chairs, people missing limbs, 3-4 sitting senators could not tell you the year without an aide telling them first, multiple serving senators have had worse strokes/cancer, etc.

My suspicion is that he has an auditory processing issue stemming from the stroke. I've never had a stroke but have a condition that is in the neighborhood where in a noisy environment my brain can't pick and choose what it wants to listen too so I just get a big din even if somebody is talking to me right in front of me. I used to think my hearing was bad but I finally got it looked at and my hearing I actually great...my brain just can't process what I want in certain environments.

Reactions: dank69 and hal2kilo

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

if anyone here still believes taj has an ounce of humanity left in them I feel sad. The guy is a shitstain on humanity and the world will be better off when he is gone, whenever that is.

Reactions: zinfamous

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
NBC did a significant disservice to its audience with how they framed what happened and Republicans are trying to capitalize on that.

We've got congress people in wheel chairs, people missing limbs, 3-4 sitting senators could not tell you the year without an aide telling them first, multiple serving senators have had worse strokes/cancer, etc.

My suspicion is that he has an auditory processing issue stemming from the stroke. I've never had a stroke but have a condition that is in the neighborhood where in a noisy environment my brain can't pick and choose what it wants to listen too so I just get a big din even if somebody is talking to me right in front of me. I used to think my hearing was bad but I finally got it looked at and my hearing I actually great...my brain just can't process what I want in certain environments.

I've got auditory processing issues as well. You talk to me one on one and I'm laser focused on you.

Talk to me and there's another person talking at the same time and I'm significantly distracted.

Put a third noise in the mix and and it's all just static. I can't isolate and focus on one sound at a time.

I *hated* noisy bars when I was younger. Loud music and people trying to talk to me almost made me panic it was so overwhelming.

Now I understand what is happening and can take steps to control my environment.

I definitely understand his issues.

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
Oof....dark money just in time for the GOP to close the gap and win these races. I guess it was fun to pretend like we had a chance, at least for a little while.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

I think that's exactly the case. I've seen it described as auditory dyslexia, and neurologists are like "yeah, common and not necessarily permanent or limiting".

The NBC coverage (and the pile on) is just fucking despicable.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I've got auditory processing issues as well. You talk to me one on one and I'm laser focused on you.

Talk to me and there's another person talking at the same time and I'm significantly distracted.

Put a third noise in the mix and and it's all just static. I can't isolate and focus on one sound at a time.

I *hated* noisy bars when I was younger. Loud music and people trying to talk to me almost made me panic it was so overwhelming.

Now I understand what is happening and can take steps to control my environment.

Same thing for me, although I'm pretty sure mine is a side effect from the chemo drug cisplatin as I first noticed this problem afterwards. I have extreme trouble understanding people in any situation where there's significant background noise. I'm 42 now and already like half deaf. I can only imagine how annoying I'm going to be at 70.

Reactions: hal2kilo

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

Look, having nuclear—my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart —you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I’m one of the smartest people anywhere in the world—it’s true!—but when you’re a conservative Republican they try—oh, do they do a number—that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune—you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged—but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me—it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are (nuclear is powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what’s going to happen and he was right—who would have thought?), but when you look at what’s going on with the four prisoners—now it used to be three, now it’s four—but when it was three and even now, I would have said it’s all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don’t, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years—but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Interesting. I've been thinking about OTC hearing aids for this specific reason. I have a significant high frequency loss in my left ear, but that's about it (had to have hearing checks due to working in an industrial environment for many years). Have been wondering if it was a processing problem (brain) rather than a sensor (ear, ear drum, inner ear) problem. Noisy bars is like the worst case.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Same thing for me, although I'm pretty sure mine is a side effect from the chemo drug cisplatin as I first noticed this problem afterwards. I have extreme trouble understanding people in any situation where there's significant background noise. I'm 42 now and already like half deaf. I can only imagine how annoying I'm going to be at 70.
WHAT THAT YOU AAY?!? :p
<- 35