Israeli tanks pour into Gaza

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3029929.stm

About 50 tanks and helicopters entered the northern town of Beit Hanoun, leaving three Palestinians dead - including a 12-year-old boy, according to Palestinian witnesses.

The Israelis say the raid was launched after dozens of mortar bombs and rockets were fired at Jewish settlements in the Gaza Strip and the southern Israeli town of Sderot in recent days.

The incursion comes on Nakba, which Palestinians describe as "Catastrophe day" - when they mark the anniversary of the displacement that accompanied the creation of the state of Israel in 1948.

It also comes two days before the first meeting between Prime Minister Ariel Sharon and his counterpart Mahmoud Abbas - widely known as Abu Mazen.

Witnesses say Israeli bulldozers destroyed four homes belonging to suspected militants.

They say the Palestinians killed in the raid included two men and a 12-year-old boy.

According to doctors, the boy was left to bleed to death, as Israeli troops prevented paramedics from reaching the scene.

The Israeli army said it knew nothing about the circumstances of the boy's death.

On Nakba day, Palestinians traditionally attend rallies holding banners with the names of villages they or their family fled in 1948.

"It seems they [Israeli soldiers] are also commemorating the Nakba with us, but in their own bloody way," a Beit Hanoun resident told Reuters news agency.

Israeli tanks were also reported in the nearby town of Beit Lahiya and the Jabaliya refugee camp.

not good news for the peace process:disgust:

LilBlinbBlahIce

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2001
I've said it before, I'll say it again, settlements are illegal and any attack against them is fair game IMO. They should not be there, and incursions in retaliation for attacks on them would be uneccesary if they were removed. Fundamentalist Jews who feel that they need to take back all of historic Israel by building settlements are to blame for that boy's death, IMO they are no better than the Palestinian terrorists.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Sderot is not in the Gaza strip. The Palestinians don't care what targets they attack as long as they kill Jews.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: etech
Sderot is not in the Gaza strip. The Palestinians don't care what targets they attack as long as they kill Jews.
talk about overgeneralization
rolleye.gif
:disgust:

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Czar
rolleye.gif

How so? Lobbing missiles indiscriminately into Israeli cities is designed for one thing only, to kill and terrorize.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
rolleye.gif

How so? Lobbing missiles indiscriminately into Israeli cities is designed for one thing only, to kill and terrorize.
and sure all palestinians are doing it, just like "all" israelis are terrorising palestinians by various methods
rolleye.gif

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
rolleye.gif

and sure all palestinians are doing it, just like "all" israelis are terrorising palestinians by various methods
rolleye.gif

It seems to be your turn for overgeneralization. I did not say that all Palestinians are killing indiscriminately, just those that are using terrorism as a means to their political goals.

Nice try to derail the discussion on your part though. You knew the intent of what I ment yet chose to miscontrue it.

no0b

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
Repost of a repost of a repost of a repost of a repost of a repost of a repost

And people will contine to repost this.

Not that I'm thread crapping just that this story has happened many a time before and will contine to happen many a time in the future.

Doesn't it get kinda boring after awhile?

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
I think he means "peace process" as in Bush's "Road map".

The Palestinians aren't terrorists because if they were we wouldn't be negotiating with them. Terrorists must be brought to swift justice, not hugged.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Thera

The Palestinians aren't terrorists because if they were we wouldn't be negotiating with them. Terrorists must be brought to swift justice, not hugged.

Isn't that why the US does not want to deal with Arafat, his terrorist past?

I don't see him being brought to justice though.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001

Mahmoud Abbas also has a terrorist past.

Cheers,

Andy

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Fencer128

Mahmoud Abbas also has a terrorist past.

Cheers,

Andy

Just who amoung the Palestinian leadership does not have a terrorist past?

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Exactly. You have to deal with terrorists.

Andy

Are you saying that all of the Palestinian leadership are terrorists?

Watch out or Czar will blast you for overgeneralization!

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001

Exactly. You have to deal with terrorists.

Andy

Are you saying that all of the Palestinian leadership are terrorists?

Watch out or Czar will blast you for overgeneralization!

:) IMHO If you play the Kevin Bacon game with the Palestinian leadership - you're bound to throw up some interesting results. I'm just going with my experiences of the IRA leadership.

Cheers,

Andy

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Clearly the other side is to blame. It's OK to kill now.

???

You know you can play the Kevin Bacon game with Mossad and the Israeli leadership too you know...

Andy

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
According to doctors, the boy was left to bleed to death, as Israeli troops prevented paramedics from reaching the scene.

yea, just maybe the palestinians are regreting using ambulances to attack soldiers now eh? :p fools dug their own graves.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Clearly the other side is to blame. It's OK to kill now.

???

You know you can play the Kevin Bacon game with Mossad and the Israeli leadership too you know...

Andy

You think it is all a game?

That's sad.

Now can you explain how the Mossad and Israeli leadership is directly linked to indiscrimanate killing of civilians.

If you are going to bring up Shabra again please be advised that Sharon was found indirectly responsible for that action for failing to foresee what the Phalangists would do. I just didn't want you to waste your time.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
You think it is all a game?

That's sad.

Of course I don't think it's a game! I first tried to say that there is no doubt that there are those within the Palestinian leadership with some sort of blood on their hands - and furthermore that you wouldn't have to look very far to see many with links, however tenuous, to darker elements. IMHO you'd have to take a very narrow view to think my comments otherwise.

Now can you explain how the Mossad and Israeli leadership is directly linked to indiscrimanate killing of civilians.

If you are going to bring up Shabra again please be advised that Sharon was found indirectly responsible for that action for failing to foresee what the Phalangists would do. I just didn't want you to waste your time.

I almost didn't bother to grace that comment with a reply. You must have much more information on what exactly went on than me if you see only one side in the Shabra dealings and have no problem with the way Israel conducts it's business with the Palestinians. I didn't directly accuse the Israeli's of indiscriminantly killing civilians - your words not mine - if anything I'd say they were particularly good at inadvertantly killing civilians. I almost forgot, Mossad couldn't possibly have any shady dealings in the way I implied for other parties... part of their remit is assasination (and that goes wrong) and I guess given the impeccable record of the participants in this conflict nothing untoward could ever have been perpertrated by them. No evidence but I'll go with my gut instinct on that one.

Andy

EDIT: Nearly forgot, from the BBC archives:

From 16 to 18 September, the Phalangists - who were allied to Israel - killed hundreds of Palestinians in the Sabra and Shatila refugee camps as they were encircled by Israeli troops in one of the worst atrocities of nearly a century of conflict in the Middle East. Mr Sharon resigned from his post as defence minister after a 1983 Israeli inquiry concluded that he had failed to act to prevent the massacre.

Ask yourself why he failed to act and why he had to resign? Did he or his men kill them themselves - No, is he partially responsible for their deaths - Yes (read "encircled by Israeli troops"). I guess they just didn't know the massacre was occuring, it only lasted for 3 days.

DZip

Apr 11, 2000
Why do the parents of these children take them along for the attacks? Don't they know by now that the Israelis will shoot back when attacked? Children are encouraged to defy the law. The Palestinians will continue to suffer casualties in war as long as they provoke the Israelis.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: DZip
Why do the parents of these children take them along for the attacks? Don't they know by now that the Israelis will shoot back when attacked? Children are encouraged to defy the law. The Palestinians will continue to suffer casualties in war as long as they provoke the Israelis.

Some of them are killed when the buildings they are in are hit by tank/helicopter/gun fire. Some are caught in the crossfire.

I NEVER claimed that one side held the moral highground here (as evidenced by my repeated "Kevin Bacon game" posts) but I do assert that neither side can claim to be entriely innocent in all of this.

Andy

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The Palestinians want to destroy Israel and Israel does not want to be destroyed.

It isn't complicated.