Israel Launches Ground Invasion of Gaza Strip

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
We all knew this was the next step....but I would have to agree with getting rid of the tunnels that lead into Israel......
Some will say but those tunnels are under Palestinian homes.....
My response is complain to Hamas why they put Palestinian homes at risk.......the tunnels have to go......

http://news.yahoo.com/israel-launches-ground-invasion-gaza-strip-195030185.html

Israeli forces have begun an incursion into the Gaza Strip following an exchange of rocket fire from Gaza and Israeli airstrikes over the course of the last ten days.

According to a statement by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, the purpose of the operation is to destroy the Hamas-built tunnels leading to Israel, one of which was used by Hamas to infiltrate Israel earlier today. The Hamas mission was uncovered and disrupted by Israel Defense Force troops just a mile outside of a kibbutz in southern Israel.

The IDF dropped leaflets warning citizens of Gaza's major cities to evacuate their homes before launching a series of air and artillery strikes on Thursday night.

IDF ✔ @IDFSpokesperson
Follow
BREAKING NEWS: A large IDF force has just launched a ground operation in the Gaza Strip. A new phase of Operation Protective Edge has begun.

12:41 PM - 17 Jul 2014

IDF Spokesman Peter Lerner confirmed the mobilization and made the case for the operation against the tunnels
Hamas for its part is also talking tough:

Hamas spokesperson Fawzi Barhoum says that the IDF ground invasion of the Gaza Strip “is a dangerous action and the Occupation will pay a dear price for it. Hamas is prepared for this operation."

The escalation comes just after a brief five-hour humanitarian ceasefire was observed (minus three Hamas mortars) by the two sides earlier today.

RELATED: Aviation Expert: Essential Clues to Flight MH17 Crash Being Tampered With

The ground invasion of Gaza by Israel is the first such maneuver since Israel and Hamas did battle in 2009. In that conflict, the ground invasion marked a turning point in what was already a controversial war with much higher civilian death tolls.

There are a number of things that are different this time around.

A different rationale

The rationale for the 2009 invasion, which came after an eight-day aerial offensive by Israel, was this:

To strike a direct and hard blow against the Hamas while increasing the deterrent strength of the IDF, in order to bring about an improved and more stable security situation for residents of Southern Israel over the long term.

As surreal as it sounds, Israelis may look back on the 2009 conflict with longing as it was a time in which only the southern part of Israel was within range of Hamas and other terrorist groups firing rockets from Gaza.

Part of what's forcing Israel's hand here is that this conflict has placed five million Israelis within Hamas' reach, including cities like Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, and even communities in the north.

A different prime minister

RELATED: Malaysian Passenger Plane Crashes in Ukraine Near Russian Border

During the last ground invasion, Israel's prime minister was Ehud Olmert. For all the knocks on current Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, he is thought to be considerably more cautious about the use of force than Olmert was (see: the 2009 Gaza War and the 2006 Second Lebanon War).

Just days ago, Netanyahu fired Danny Danon, his deputy defense minister, after Danon essentially called him soft on Hamas for endorsing the Egyptian-proposed ceasefire that Hamas rejected. Others in Netanyahu's cabinet have said some pretty outlandish things including Foreign Minister Avigdor Liberman, who called on a full reoccupation of Gaza, which Israel fully withdrew from in 2005.

This article was originally published at http://www.thewire.com/global/2014/07/israel-launches-ground-troops-in-gaza-strip/374638/

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
This isn't good :/

I wish something like the Iron Dome could be effective to the point where Israel could just ignore the rocket attacks instead of retaliating. Not that I'm saying this is what would happen.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Well, on top of the Airliner getting blasted in the Ukraine, all hell's about to break loose all over.

Who knows.

I'd say the ground thing was pretty much inevitable the way things going there atm.

Whack-a-Mole.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

I wish something like the Iron Dome could be effective to the point where Israel could just ignore the rocket attacks instead of retaliating. Not that I'm saying this is what would happen.

That is so incredibly stupid. "If an enemy is attacking us, but we have enough technology to thwart their attacks (for now), we should just ignore them!" What kind of stupid logic is that? If your enemy is shooting at you, but missing, it is best to just ignore them!

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Just like every military excursion before, after a few hundreds civilian deaths, a peace treaty will be announced. The U.S will force the Israeli to back down. This is a no win situation for both sides, both sides can announce their victories. Hamas will claim they have won because they have survived, the IDF will say that they have destroyed certain amount of weapon caches, and kill a few Hamas. In a couple of years, rinse and repeat.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
That is so incredibly stupid. "If an enemy is attacking us, but we have enough technology to thwart their attacks (for now), we should just ignore them!" What kind of stupid logic is that? If your enemy is shooting at you, but missing, it is best to just ignore them!
Philosophically I agree with attacking anyone attacking you. Practically speaking, I can see the attraction of being able to ignore the attacks. For one thing, Israel will undoubtedly lose good people in the attack. For a second, Israel will undoubtedly kill innocents in the attack. For a third, Israel will undoubtedly help push some Palestinians into (or farther into) radicalization by attacking. For a fourth, those who see the Palestinians as innocent victims of Israeli aggression are going to ignore the rockets and mortars going into Israel but redouble their efforts if Israel retaliates. Assuming that Israel had good enough technology (and enough money) to safely ignore the attacks, the Palestinians might lose faith in Hamas too. At the very least, surely some Palestinians are bright enough and honest enough to admit that Israel is not the problem if Hamas is trying to kill Jews and the Jews aren't trying to kill Palestinians. If Israel is dropping bombs on you, it's difficult to rationally evaluate blame.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012

Yes, it's better to ignore them than retaliate when retaliation continually constitutes loss of civilian life, which contributes to a cycle of both sides becoming further embroiled in hatred and desire for revenge. I'm sorry you think that trying to avoid this is stupid logic.

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
Philosophically I agree with attacking anyone attacking you. Practically speaking, I can see the attraction of being able to ignore the attacks. For one thing, Israel will undoubtedly lose good people in the attack. For a second, Israel will undoubtedly kill innocents in the attack. For a third, Israel will undoubtedly help push some Palestinians into (or farther into) radicalization by attacking. For a fourth, those who see the Palestinians as innocent victims of Israeli aggression are going to ignore the rockets and mortars going into Israel but redouble their efforts if Israel retaliates. Assuming that Israel had good enough technology (and enough money) to safely ignore the attacks, the Palestinians might lose faith in Hamas too. At the very least, surely some Palestinians are bright enough and honest enough to admit that Israel is not the problem if Hamas is trying to kill Jews and the Jews aren't trying to kill Palestinians. If Israel is dropping bombs on you, it's difficult to rationally evaluate blame.

Pretty good post. It would be wonderful if Israel could exist in a bubble and ignore Hamas rocket attacks. But when you are faced with a provocation like abducting and murdering teenagers, what are you supposed to do other than retaliate?

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
Pretty good post. It would be wonderful if Israel could exist in a bubble and ignore Hamas rocket attacks. But when you are faced with a provocation like abducting and murdering teenagers, what are you supposed to do other than retaliate?

Is that the best option if it results in more abductions and murders? This kind of retaliation against a group of people doesn't work the same way as bringing justice to an isolated criminal would...

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009

Iron Dome isn't free, jackass. Israel shouldn't have to spend billions to defend themselves from the fallout of Palestinian temper tantrums. Palestinians need to learn how to act as adults, and unfortunately that isn't going to happen as long as Israel keeps letting them act as spoiled children.

Israel needs to stop pulling their punches and hit the Palestinians, and keep hitting them until they finally realize the futility of their actions.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Just like every military excursion before, after a few hundreds civilian deaths, a peace treaty will be announced. The U.S will force the Israeli to back down. This is a no win situation for both sides, both sides can announce their victories. Hamas will claim they have won because they have survived, the IDF will say that they have destroyed certain amount of weapon caches, and kill a few Hamas. In a couple of years, rinse and repeat.

I wouldn't bet on it at this point, things are a bit different over there atm.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
That's the problem. It's difficult to imagine technology being so good that the Palestinians could not tunnel in and kidnap or murder Jews, smuggle in explosive vests and bombs, or otherwise kill Jews. Add to that Eskimospy's opinion (not at all rare among the far left) that the proper thing to do about kidnapped Jews is to immediately write them off as dead and forget them, and it's difficult to see Israel coming out ahead in such an attempt, even though the sentiment is certainly attractive. I doubt many Israelis like the idea of dropping bombs on the heads of women and children whose only crime may be lacking the courage and strength to stop Hamas from launching rockets next door or storing mortar shells in their basement.

squarecut1

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2013
More suffering in store for the innocent Palestinians, who already live a daily life of suffering and humiliation.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
Iron Dome isn't free, jackass. Israel shouldn't have to spend billions to defend themselves from the fallout of Palestinian temper tantrums. Palestinians need to learn how to act as adults, and unfortunately that isn't going to happen as long as Israel keeps letting them act as spoiled children.

Israel needs to stop pulling their punches and hit the Palestinians, and keep hitting them until they finally realize the futility of their actions.

So you think that retaliation is what's going to get them to stop firing, and that the problem is that they haven't been disciplined enough to learn their lesson. Yeah, I'm the jackass I guess.

Fortunately, these acts of retaliation are free, in every sense of the word.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000

Not necessarily. This action by Hamas has the ultimate goal of driving a wedge between the U.S. and Israel. Hamas knows those missiles will not do enough damage to destroy Israel. What the rocket attacks do however is turn public opinion against Israel when they retaliate by hitting launch sites.... which happen to be near civilians.

Israel was handling the rockets... but then there was the mortar fire during the cease-fire. Not to mention militants trying to come through tunnels.

Hard to show restraint after a certain point. I wonder if public opinion would support Israel more if they did not retaliate.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Not necessarily. This action by Hamas has the ultimate goal of driving a wedge between the U.S. and Israel. Hamas knows those missiles will not do enough damage to destroy Israel. What the rocket attacks do however is turn public opinion against Israel when they retaliate by hitting launch sites.... which happen to be near civilians.

Israel was handling the rockets... but then there was the mortar fire during the cease-fire. Not to mention militants trying to come through tunnels.

Hard to show restraint after a certain point. I wonder if public opinion would support Israel more if they did not retaliate.
Public opinion doesn't much matter if one is dead.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Israel does not care about public opinion! Public opinion will not stop the rocket attacks. Public opinion does not matter to Hamas or Israel!! Now move on.....

Nov 30, 2006
It's doubtful that our current relationship with Israel can be leveraged very far...Obama!

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
I wonder if public opinion would support Israel more if they did not retaliate.

I think the Israelis are smart enough to know fighting a war by public opinion is the way evil regimes win.

Heck, a more intelligent and savvy Hitler could have won if the idiocy that is public opinion had been at the helm of the allied war effort.

Its the way a future saavy evil regime ultimately will take over and enslave a large chunk of the world- it's actually inevitable at some point in the future.

In a nutshell... no. Any side that is more just and fights to win will not win in the court of public opinion because fighting to win is not pretty or PC, and doesn't look at all good on camera.

Any side that uses public opionon to win conflicts will be the side using the most trickery that plays for the cameras... like using children as cannon fodder for impact. IE: corrupt and evil regimes. IE: the side sane people wouldn't actually want to win.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
It's doubtful that our current relationship with Israel can be leveraged very far...Obama!
It not a requirement, and just screaming Obama! like an idiot lowers your validity in any conversation IMHO.

Unless you like being viewed a brainless dolt.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
You might be surprised. While Obama obviously dislikes Israel, he's also the one who formally requested (to Congress) that we help fund Iron Dome. From Israel's standpoint, that's not to be taken lightly.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
So you think that retaliation is what's going to get them to stop firing, and that the problem is that they haven't been disciplined enough to learn their lesson. Yeah, I'm the jackass I guess.

The Palestinians do not respect Israel's force. Israel plays the civilized adult and the Palestinians expect their restraint. They bank on it. If the Israelis did not restrain themselves the Palestinians would have to face that they can't stop Israel.

By unilaterally pulling out when intermediate goals are reached, Israel prevents the Palestinians from ever having to acknowledge that they have truly lost. The Palestinians continue to act the child, observing that their temper tantrums keep getting them attention from "Daddy" and so thinking that their outbursts are accomplishing something. Israel needs to stop playing the Palestinian side for them and simply win. They should shell them until the Palestinian people are hanging their remaining warmongers in the street to show just how badly they want Israel to stop and just how devoutly they are committed to peace.

Last edited: