Is your processor Running slower than you think it should be ? Or at a different multiplier than it should be ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skartys

Mar 28, 2008

MotherBoard DG33FB with Memory Slots 4
Installed RAM 2 x 1GB DDR2 667 RAM in dual channel
Processor Name Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Bus Speed 333 MHz
Processor Speed 2 GHz
Stepping 6
Form Factor Socket LGA775
Hyper-Threading Technology Status Enabled

Its my pc configuration..My BIOS shows the processor speed as 2.0 GHz only...I want it to run in its full speed...please help me

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: skartys

MotherBoard DG33FB with Memory Slots 4
Installed RAM 2 x 1GB DDR2 667 RAM in dual channel
Processor Name Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
Bus Speed 333 MHz
<Processor Speed 2 GHz
Stepping 6
Form Factor Socket LGA775
Hyper-Threading Technology Status Enabled

Its my pc configuration..My BIOS shows the processor speed as 2.0 GHz only...I want it to run in its full speed...please help me

When you boot the computer, run superpi 32m, then fire up cpu-z and tell us what speed it says your processor is running at.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Hey Mark I found something else interesting. With EIST turned off I was surprised to see system info and other programs reporting a Q6600 at 3.6GHz when indeed it was running at 8x400. Actual benchmark programs (as well as CPU-Z) confirm actual running speed of 3.2GHz. (At 1.1 volts too!) So it appears on locked chips Windows looks at FSB only and multiplies by default multiplier to get speed.

VulcanX

Apr 15, 2008
Thanks again for this thread everyone very informative
And thanks to all the moderators and everyone chipping to help US out, us being the entire population who read this
Greatly appreciated and glad i understood half of the words atleast on this thread, haha

Thorn2008

May 18, 2008
This is actually a really good idea because I was wondering about this myself when I recently upgraded to an E8500, I looked at CPUZ and it showed it running at X6 Multiplier and 1.999 Ghz when I knew it should be running at 9.5 Multiplier and 3.16 Ghz, at first like others I thaught something was wrong until reading up on the net!

iceman88

Jun 16, 2008
Hi

I'm using a relatively old AMD Septron 3000. It works fine and looking for things to increase speed. thanks

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
sucks the 9xx series of Intel Pentium D's for some reason didnt get this function.... ah well, they get all the cool stuff at least, like virtualization, and disable bit

perisie

Jul 1, 2008
hello. i was about to ask about this subject when i saw this thread!!

anyway...just checking because...

i set my energy saving in vista64 to performance and checked that processor is set at 100% min and max

after a reboot cpu-z is still showing it at a constant 2003.8mhz , but will jump directly up to 3005.6mhz every few seconds for a half a second, then back again.

thanks

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: perisie
hello. i was about to ask about this subject when i saw this thread!!

anyway...just checking because...

i set my energy saving in vista64 to performance and checked that processor is set at 100% min and max

after a reboot cpu-z is still showing it at a constant 2003.8mhz , but will jump directly up to 3005.6mhz every few seconds for a half a second, then back again.

thanks

are you saying we helped youfix your problem ? or its still happening ? If its still hapenoing, read the first post.

chamila

Jul 30, 2008
The processor seems to be a very important device.The processor looks a very speed device to handle.
-----------------------------
Chamila

No spam allowed
Markfw900 Anantech Moderator

sspl01

Aug 6, 2008
Is your processor Running slower than you.I just reinstalled the 32-bit version of Ubuntu Dapper because a lot of programs that I need aren't available for 64-bit. I tried to search for 'athcool' in Synaptic again but I still didn't find anything.I just tried to find 'athcool' with Synaptic on my new 64-bit Ubuntu Dapper to uninstall it, but I couldn't find it. Is there another program on the 64-bit version of Dapper that is doing the same thing as 'athcool' is doing on the 32-bit version?

Mack

No spam allowed

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Originally posted by: sspl01
Is your processor Running slower than you.I just reinstalled the 32-bit version of Ubuntu Dapper because a lot of programs that I need aren't available for 64-bit. I tried to search for 'athcool' in Synaptic again but I still didn't find anything.I just tried to find 'athcool' with Synaptic on my new 64-bit Ubuntu Dapper to uninstall it, but I couldn't find it. Is there another program on the 64-bit version of Dapper that is doing the same thing as 'athcool' is doing on the 32-bit version?

Mack

No spam allowed

I don't think this is a CPU question, sounds like you would get a better answer in *inux forum.

Ipreferspam

Apr 12, 2008
A friend of mine just recently purchased an E8500 and an EVGA 780i motherboard. He had to enable a setting in his BIOS to enable the 9.5 multiplier of his CPU. Before he made the setting change, it was using 9.0 and when he tried to overclock his options were only the integer multiplier values.

GundamF91

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
Too bad RightMark does not work with 45nm. I had it working with Conroe, but they've stopped updating the utility. It's a great piece of work.

As for EIST, when the multiplier drops, has anyone noticed that the vCore drops? So far it seems only the multiplier drops, but vCore stays the same.

fakester01

Aug 17, 2008
Originally posted by: Ipreferspam
A friend of mine just recently purchased an E8500 and an EVGA 780i motherboard. He had to enable a setting in his BIOS to enable the 9.5 multiplier of his CPU. Before he made the setting change, it was using 9.0 and when he tried to overclock his options were only the integer multiplier values.
Yep same thing happened to me. It's a fine ratio thingy mabob you can either set it to +0.0 or +0.5. If you set it to +0.0 then when you set the multiplier to 9 it will be calculated as a 9 multiplier. But if you set it to +0.5 then when you set the mutliplier to 9 it will be calculated as a 9.5 multiplier.

I'm currently having problems with my PC. I have my E8500 running at 4085MHz and RAM running at 1032MHz (For same reason I can't get it stable above those pseeds no matter the settings:|) and I can run Prime95, Orthos for hours on end and get stable on OCCT for 2 hours yet when I take my PC out of hybernation my PC would normally get BSOD, or it would freeze, or it will work for a short time then get BSOD or freeze.

I looked up the BBCode and they all seem to be memory related BSODs. I did some research and it seems my motherboard (Gigabyte GA EP45-DS3P) is really picky with the RAM you use. I have C1E, EIST, Virtualisation, and all those power saving features etc disabled.

But I don't think it's my RAM thats the cause as I can run memtest for hours on end, Prime95, Orthos and OCCT blend test with no errors. Would anyone have an explanation? I really like putting my PC into hybernation/sleep when I go to bed and just pressing the mouse button or keyboard button so I'm instantly back in windows without the boring waiting times of booting up the PC.

oslama

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2001
I have qx6850 (3ghz stock with 9x multiplier) running at 2ghz (333fsb x 6) on a Gigabyte EP45DSR3. CPUz reports multiplier at 6 while the Gigabyte EZtune utility reports it at 6-9x. I have CIE2 disbaled in the bios and everything else is at default or auto.

roid450

Sep 4, 2008
this thread even helped me out evne tho i used to havea AMD Opteron 185. i had turned off CPU Thermal throttling and it helped out quite a bit in all my games and overall system performance

foolio65

Oct 14, 2008
I have a related question but for an older machine.

I have an Inspiron 9300 with a Dothan Pentium M 750 running at 1.86ghz with regular volages/multipliers of 1.356v/14x.
I've obviously had this notebook for years, and it until recently I haven't had any trouble with it like this.

I hadn't used this machine in a week or so, and when I turned it on yesterday it was incredible slow. Curious as to why, I checked CPU-Z 1.47 and it turns out the core clock was 798mhz, the core voltage was at .988v, and the multiplier was 6x.
Now these are all the settings the Pentium M 750 uses when speedstep is enabled and it's clocking down due to inactivity, but this shouldn't be happening for a couple of reasons. I have my power options set to "Always-On" which in the past has always kept the CPU locked at it's full 1.86ghz at all times. Also, it's not clocking back up to full speed when the CPU is stressed hard; it stays underclocked. I haven't done any changes software or hardware related in the last few weeks since it was working properly, so I don't know why it's doing this all of a sudden with no explanation.
My BIOS is the most current version available, so I don't think that's the issue. When I looked at the power-saving options in the BIOS, it gives only two options for the SpeedStep, either enabled or disabled. I have it set to enabled, because the description next to disabled says that disabling speedstep locks the computer in it's lowest performance state. When I tried disabling it to check if this was the case, it seemed to be true.
Even in the BIOS the CPU is listed as having a max clock of 1.86ghz, min clock of 800mhz, and a current clock of 800mhz.

Anyone got any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance.

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
Glad that I read this thread. I put together for the first time an Intel system last night (switched from an old FX55 system) and was wondering why it was running at 6x multiplier. Thanks for the help!

Spamdini

May 24, 2004
ok a quick question i didnt read all the posts in the thread cause its a lot. i have vista64 and in control panel>power options, there are 3 options, "balance", "power saver" and "performance". i changed it from "balance" to "performance". does this mean that the cpu wont be throttled or toggled when the computer is no longer under load? and from what i understand from OP, changing this means my settings in the bios have changed. if im wrong do i still have to go into my bios and make some adjustments?

thanks in advance.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
I just got a Q9550 last night and assembled my new build last night. Today I was testing for OC - lowered multiplier from 8.5 to 6 and upped the FSB to isolate and test RAM. When I finished, I put the multiplier back to 8.5 and went back into windows- CPU-Z showed my multiplier to be still at 6!!! Long story short, I worked for about an hour trying to fix the issue.. and then I remembered this thread. Turns out that CPU-Z was not reporting my multiplier right- I downloaded crystalcpuid and this showed what I had set the BIOS at. Very strange that the multiplier got stuck in CPU-Z- it was showing correctly when I first installed it. Anyway, thanks very much for this thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.