Is Windows 10 most pointless upgrade for gaming?

Peepee

Mar 6, 2017
For a gamer it seems to be the best thing to stick with Windows 7.

Only pro: Has DirectX 12

Cons:
  • No games use DirectX 12, and no games ever will except a couple of ones microsoft paid for.
  • In Windows 7 you can choose which updates you want and if you want them. In windows 10 updates are forced down your throat, even unstable driver updates that mess up your PC. And you can't stop them. "You're in the middle of an online game? F**k you I'm gonna start update and take all your bandwidth." And Gigabytes among gigabytes of constant downloads for things you neither want nor use.
  • Windows 7 gives you almost complete control over it to tweak for best gaming performance. Windows 10 be like "Awww big scawy Opewating System too complex for you."

And there's no performance benefit except a frame per second or two. Games still hitch and stutter, the same way they did on Windows 7. Like those slight pauses and freezes that ruin immersion.

I had to write this after my experience with windows 10. Am downgrading to windows 7 now.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I agree, for now. Give it 2-3 more years and it might be worth it, but doubt it.

that being said, you made an account to post that here? Certainly not a paid schill :D

Spjut

Apr 9, 2011
The Battlefield games and other games using the Frostbite 3 engine run better on Windows 8 and later due to DX11.1.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Windows 7 is deprecated. I can't wait for the wailing and gnashing of teeth when Microsoft finally cuts off support for it completely.

Reactions: maevinj and Linflas

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Cons:
  • No games use DirectX 12, and no games ever will except a couple of ones microsoft paid for.

I wouldn't call myself a Windows 10 fan, but I think you're reaching somewhat here. You're basically saying that there's going to be nothing new on the DX front for Windows 10's era, which according to the official line is basically "forever".

AFAIK DX12 is basically is DX11 but more efficient for GPUs, which can only be a good thing. MS aren't going to backport DX12 partly because it relies on a new display driver model that is currently Win10 only, so they'd have to backport that as well.

Let's say DX12 isn't anything amazing to write home about. Maybe DX13, 14 and/or 15 will be? How much do you want to bet that those will be backported?

maevinj

Nov 20, 2004
I would say insta-ban this guy, but it's more than likely he's never coming back here since he was obviously paid to post here.

Peepee

Mar 6, 2017
I wouldn't call myself a Windows 10 fan, but I think you're reaching somewhat here. You're basically saying that there's going to be nothing new on the DX front for Windows 10's era, which according to the official line is basically "forever".

AFAIK DX12 is basically is DX11 but more efficient for GPUs, which can only be a good thing. MS aren't going to backport DX12 partly because it relies on a new display driver model that is currently Win10 only, so they'd have to backport that as well.

Let's say DX12 isn't anything amazing to write home about. Maybe DX13, 14 and/or 15 will be? How much do you want to bet that those will be backported?
All the games that use DirectX 12 have major issues, either huge frametime spikes or lower framerate than other DX versions. Even the games designed from the ground up as demos for DX 12.
Vulkan is the future.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
All the games that use DirectX 12 have major issues

And you think this will always be the case for years to come? If so, do you have any basis for this?

Vulkan is the future.

Do you have any basis for this assertion? Bear in mind that 3D gaming on Windows took a massive step forward once GPU manufacturers started supporting open standards instead of making up their own. Does the Khronos group have any experience in building an open software standard, let alone one that is nicely scalable as well as allowing for viable backwards compatibility? OpenGL isn't exactly making waves in Windows-ville, and hasn't done in a long time AFAIK.

IMO DirectX development has slowed considerably, but dumping it isn't the answer IMO.

Last edited:

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Windows 7 is deprecated. I can't wait for the wailing and gnashing of teeth when Microsoft finally cuts off support for it completely.

This is about as fluff as the OP post. Win7 is just fine, if you actually think Win10 is 'secure' well..I don't know what to tell you. It's just another OS waiting to have more holes found. I'm not saying Win10 couldn't be a fine OS, but it is hindered by its sheer..well..nonsense because..MS.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If building a new system, get Windows 10. There's no good reason to hold on to older Windows versions.

Reactions: Rebel_L
Aug 11, 2008
XP used to be the favorite, now it's 7. In five or six years it'll be people whining about how they'll never give up windows 10 because windows 12 sucks.
If there ever is a windows 12 and it "sucks", it will only be a continuation of the "sucking" that started again with Win 10. I honestly wish I had not upgraded from 7, but it is too late to roll back, and my wife is used to Win 10. Win 7 had a nicer interface and much less bugs than Win 10 on my older system, plus it did not try to send you to the Window's store every time you wanted to do something. And as the OP stated, DX12 is still basically useless, although I think it will be eventually adopted well. But the only new game I might be interested in is another Elder Scrolls single player game. Otherwise, I just play older games anyway.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
If there ever is a windows 12 and it "sucks", it will only be a continuation of the "sucking" that started again with Win 10. I honestly wish I had not upgraded from 7, but it is too late to roll back, and my wife is used to Win 10. Win 7 had a nicer interface and much less bugs than Win 10 on my older system, plus it did not try to send you to the Window's store every time you wanted to do something. And as the OP stated, DX12 is still basically useless, although I think it will be eventually adopted well. But the only new game I might be interested in is another Elder Scrolls single player game. Otherwise, I just play older games anyway.
1. You can fix the interface very easy and that's been around since win 8.

2. No clue what you are talking about being sent to windows store as I have never had that happened.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I agree, for now. Give it 2-3 more years and it might be worth it, but doubt it.

that being said, you made an account to post that here? Certainly not a paid schill :D
That makes no sense. You think the MS Win7 devs paid him to come and post crap about Win10?

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
XP used to be the favorite, now it's 7. In five or six years it'll be people whining about how they'll never give up windows 10 because windows 12 sucks.
I think 10 is supposed to be the Windows to end all Windows.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
For a gamer it seems to be the best thing to stick with Windows 7.

Only pro: Has DirectX 12

Cons:
  • In Windows 7 you can choose which updates you want and if you want them. In windows 10 updates are forced down your throat, even unstable driver updates that mess up your PC. And you can't stop them. "You're in the middle of an online game? F**k you I'm gonna start update and take all your bandwidth." And Gigabytes among gigabytes of constant downloads for things you neither want nor use.
  • Windows 7 gives you almost complete control over it to tweak for best gaming performance. Windows 10 be like "Awww big scawy Opewating System too complex for you."
Fixed it for you.
1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support
2) That is changed in the Creator's update
3) Complete control? o_O Hardly.

New CPU / chipset support are only updated on Win 10, that alone is a huge reason to use it.
And there's no performance benefit except a frame per second or two. Games still hitch and stutter, the same way they did on Windows 7. Like those slight pauses and freezes that ruin immersion.

I had to write this after my experience with windows 10. Am downgrading to windows 7 now.
Wait, you said you had complete control over win 7, why it hitch and stutter?

While there are other better reasons to keep using win 7, you didn't list them.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010

Do a couple find/replaces, and your post basically could have been pulled from the AT archives circa 2007-08:

If there ever is a new windows and it "sucks", it will only be a continuation of the "sucking" that started again with Win vista. I honestly wish I had not upgraded from xp, but it is too late to roll back, and my wife is used to Win vista. Win xp had a nicer interface and much less bugs than Win vista on my older system, plus it did not try to send you to the Window's store every time you wanted to do something. And as the OP stated, DX10 is still basically useless, although I think it will be eventually adopted well. But the only new game I might be interested in is another Elder Scrolls single player game. Otherwise, I just play older games anyway.

You're gonna like whatever windows you want to like and use whatever one you want to use, but it's just silly to act like windows is doomed. Win 10 has its flaws but it's absolutely better than Vista was, and Vista really wasn't as bad as most people seem to think. It may take two or three versions, but eventually MS will "get it right" again, everyone will upgrade (even the old Win 7 holdouts), and we'll go through this whole cycle again. Seriously, even up until 2010-11 there was a vocal minority of holdouts who loudly proclaimed that they would never give up XP... but they've all gone quiet.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Why are you using a 2009 era OS with 2016 hardware? Windows 10 is built for modern hardware. And gamers game on modern hardware. Ergo, you will be using Win 10 inevitably anyway. As for updates, I haven't seen Win 10 shove any drivers at me at all. And either way, the drivers 10 gets are one that are stable and work well anyway. Been using Win 10 since Day 1, same with 8/8.1 and this build is box fresh with a fresh Office 365 licence and a fresh Win 10 Home retail licence.

Peepee

Mar 6, 2017
Why are you using a 2009 era OS with 2016 hardware? Windows 10 is built for modern hardware. And gamers game on modern hardware. Ergo, you will be using Win 10 inevitably anyway. As for updates, I haven't seen Win 10 shove any drivers at me at all. And either way, the drivers 10 gets are one that are stable and work well anyway. Been using Win 10 since Day 1, same with 8/8.1 and this build is box fresh with a fresh Office 365 licence and a fresh Win 10 Home retail licence.
Windows 7 was built for desktop performance. Windows 10 was built so microsoft can monitor every keystroke you make, and cause they want to penetrate the mobile market.

Reactions: shortylickens