Is the USA the best country to live in?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SnapIT

Banned
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by: tweakmm
I really want to live in that Scandinavian country where they spend half their time in saunas. Who is that?

You are thinking of Finland, of course, it is just a sterotype...

I like living in Sweden more than i liked living in the US...

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
so is it a given that european countries are more laid back than america? i have never been to europe, so any insight is appreciated...

is it bad for well off people, since the social services are supposed to be so great? i imagine that funding must come from *somewhere*....

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: PoPPeR
Its true we have a large population, but do other countries like German, England, France, Canada, or any other country have a better overall system then we do? Education, medical, state of society, economy, opportunity? Are we still the land of opportunity?

no country has a perfect system. the problem you see in other countries aren't necessary a big deal in the US, while problems in the US are non-existant elsewhere. I also think summarizing the US as a whole is a little too general.

Nemesis77

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: SnapIT
I really want to live in that Scandinavian country where they spend half their time in saunas. Who is that?

no, we really do spend half our time ia a sauna :p

As to the subject at hand... Of course americans will say USA is the best country to live in. Germans will say Germany is the best and so forth. That's true for about 95% of people.

I like Finland, and I prefer living here (even with high taxes and all). I like the no-nonsense attitude of the people. I like the exotic and unique language that is almost impossible to learn. I'm proud of our history, heritage and accomplishments. I like the peace and serenity we have here. I love the scenery. I absolutely love the finnish summer.

Only Finland-superb, nay, sublime-in the jaws of peril-Finland shows what free men can do. The service rendered by Finland to mankind is magnificent. We cannot tell what the fate of Finland may be, but no more mournful spectacle could be presented to what is left to civilized mankind than that this splendid Northern race should be at last worn down and reduced to servitude worse than death by the dull brutish force of overwhelming numbers. If the light of freedom which still burns so brightly in the frozen North should be finally quenched, it might well herald a return to the Dark Ages, when every vestige of human progress during two thousand years would be engulfed.

-Winston Churchill-

I have always loved that speech :).

Aceshigh

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2002
Is the USA the best country to live in?

Yes, I feel it is. I have lived in the U.K and travelled extensively through Asia and Europe. I found lots of wonderful places, but the USA is still the best place to live in my opinion.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Nemesis77
Originally posted by: SnapIT

no, we really do spend half our time ia a sauna :p

As to the subject at hand... Of course americans will say USA is the best country to live in. Germans will say Germany is the best and so forth. That's true for about 95% of people.

I like Finland, and I prefer living here (even with high taxes and all). I like the no-nonsense attitude of the people. I like the exotic and unique language that is almost impossible to learn. I'm proud of our history, heritage and accomplishments. I like the peace and serenity we have here. I love the scenery. I absolutely love the finnish summer.

Only Finland-superb, nay, sublime-in the jaws of peril-Finland shows what free men can do. The service rendered by Finland to mankind is magnificent. We cannot tell what the fate of Finland may be, but no more mournful spectacle could be presented to what is left to civilized mankind than that this splendid Northern race should be at last worn down and reduced to servitude worse than death by the dull brutish force of overwhelming numbers. If the light of freedom which still burns so brightly in the frozen North should be finally quenched, it might well herald a return to the Dark Ages, when every vestige of human progress during two thousand years would be engulfed.

-Winston Churchill-

I have always loved that speech :).

Isn't Finland the country that is so great to live in, that they have the highest suicide rate of Western Europe?
The singer of Sentenced once described his reason for singing as: There are three things you can do when living in Finland. You can step outside and freeze to death, you can drink yourself to death, or you can sing.

Nemesis77

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Skyclad1uhm1
Isn't Finland the country that is so great to live in, that they have the highest suicide rate of Western Europe?

Yep. In fact, among the highest in the world. The reason is threefold:

a) Long and dark (read: depressing winter)
b) Alcohol-drinking habits
c) The mentality of finnish men. Many consider it a sign of weakness to talk about ones problems, so they just bottle them inside untill something snaps.

EDIT: I'm sure you and others can find alot of bad things about Finland (even I do!). But the fact is that I still consider this to be the best place to live.

JMaster

Golden Member
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by: LongCoolMother
id say some of the european countries, and canada, are better places to live. id say USA is best overall for working, getting an education. i dont think its the best place to live (high cost of living etc.) but its definately not bad.

Canada? Pffffttt....
haha I'm jk.

Phuz

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2000
Canada is one of the very best countries to live in.

The only problem I have living here is expenses, and the general suckage of our dollar.
Social Health Care rocks, regardless of what anyone says.

I talk to lots of people from the USA who come up from Washington, to B.C. and ski worldclass for DIRT.. (again, $conversion)

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I would say thailand since it was the most free when I was there and no one is nosey and puratanical. And damn good fresh spicy seafood . I spent three months traveling/working in the country and think they are the nicest poeple in the world and I have been almost everyhwere.

B00ne

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
We do have our faults, but I am proud to be an American and live in the USA.

How can u be proud to be an American? Was that your personal achievement or in which way does it make u proud?

To the topic: America might be the best place to live in in terms of consuming, moneymaking and because of its size and thus relative emptiness - but qulitywise on average I'd say most European countries are nicer - but it all depends on your priorities. USA=work your ass of for shitloads of money, Most of western Europe=work for decent money and have enough sparetime and other nonquantifiable living qualities.

Aceshigh

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2002
Originally posted by: B00ne

How can u be proud to be an American? Was that your personal achievement or in which way does it make u proud?

To the topic: America might be the best place to live in in terms of consuming, moneymaking and because of its size and thus relative emptiness - but qulitywise on average I'd say most European countries are nicer - but it all depends on your priorities. USA=work your ass of for shitloads of money, Most of western Europe=work for decent money and have enough sparetime and other nonquantifiable living qualities.

He can be proud because no one has to remain an American. He could very easily go to another country and take on other citizenship. America is a special country. A country to be extremely proud of.

I would say that most Americans still have plenty of sparetime and other nonquantifiable living qualities, as you put it. We have a great quality of life. And not only that, but we don't have the high taxes that most of western Europe has to deal with.

I have lived in the U.K, and travelled extensively through the continent. (France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy) While there are things I love about the European way of life. (Public transport, the scenery, the history). I still feel the USA is a truly special country, and it is generally adknowledged to be the best in the world. Most Europeans are pretty honest and will even grudgingly admit this. There is some jealousy when it comes to the States. Europe was the pinnacle and focus point of the world's civilization for hundreds of years, and the world's culture is no longer dictated on European standards, it is dictated on American standards. Why do you think Europeans so often criticise the US? It is because of this jealousy. I am not saying this as a bad thing, If I couldn't live in the USA my very next choice would be somewhere in western Europe.

SnapIT

Banned
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Aceshigh
Originally posted by: B00ne

He can be proud because no one has to remain an American. He could very easily go to another country and take on other citizenship. America is a special country. A country to be extremely proud of.

I would say that most Americans still have plenty of sparetime and other nonquantifiable living qualities, as you put it. We have a great quality of life. And not only that, but we don't have the high taxes that most of western Europe has to deal with.

I have lived in the U.K, and travelled extensively through the continent. (France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy) While there are things I love about the European way of life. (Public transport, the scenery, the history). I still feel the USA is a truly special country, and it is generally adknowledged to be the best in the world. Most Europeans are pretty honest and will even grudgingly admit this. There is some jealousy when it comes to the States. Europe was the pinnacle and focus point of the world's civilization for hundreds of years, and the world's culture is no longer dictated on European standards, it is dictated on American standards. Why do you think Europeans so often criticise the US? It is because of this jealousy. I am not saying this as a bad thing, If I couldn't live in the USA my very next choice would be somewhere in western Europe.

Saying that many Europeans criticise the US because of jealousy is a great way to dismiss the arguments, that way you don't have to admit that the US actually can be criticised for doing something wrong....

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001

Very simply. I've worked hard all my life to help ensure the safety and security of this country (and yours too by the way). I've worked hard in the community and the schools to help make the places I live better. I participate in the "goverment process" to the extent that my profession allows. I'm not proud of everything this country has done however I am proud of this country overall and I am proud to be an American.

SnapIT

Banned
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by: DaveSohmer

Very simply. I've worked hard all my life to help ensure the safety and security of this country (and yours too by the way). I've worked hard in the community and the schools to help make the places I live better. I participate in the "goverment process" to the extent that my profession allows. I'm not proud of everything this country has done however I am proud of this country overall and I am proud to be an American.

Exactly, it's the people who make the country, not the other way around...

thedan

Aug 5, 2001
From what I have heard from News Reports, I believe that I would rather live where I am now.

Australia is a better place to live.

Thats IMHO, and keep in mind I have never been to the USA, but just from what I've heard.
Australia is great. Little Crime, fresh air, open spaces, green hills, no bustling smoggy cities. Lame reasons, I know.

SlowSS

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2002
Originally posted by: DaveSohmer

Well said, Chief.:)

Americans should be proud of their country even if you don't agree
with certain issues or actions of the government, realizing that
our country is more than just a governmental body.

damiano

Platinum Member
May 29, 2002
the oportunity and freedom is definitly the best in the USA.
I believe education and culture are a big problem in the USA.
As the expression says: "the grass is always greener on the other side"
Just be happy where you are and take advantage of all the good things of the system in which you live, wether it is education, oportunity, culture, social services etc...

Nemesis77

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: damiano

I have always wondered why people say that "freedom is the best in USA". I live in a free country, I have all the freedoms I could want. Well, we don't have the right to carry guns in public, but that right is pretty low on my list of priorities. We have no PATRIOT acts, no DMCA (at least yet)... So I'm forced to ask: how exactly is USA "more free" than Finland for example?

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001

I have always wondered why people say that "freedom is the best in USA". I live in a free country, I have all the freedoms I could want. Well, we don't have the right to carry guns in public, but that right is pretty low on my list of priorities. We have no PATRIOT acts, no DMCA (at least yet)... So I'm forced to ask: how exactly is USA "more free" than Finland for example?

-Bill of rights (even though pretty watered down over the past 150 years) is still something that sets us apart from europe.

B00ne

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Carbonyl

-Bill of rights (even though pretty watered down over the past 150 years) is still something that sets us apart from europe.

How is that?

When I was living in the states one of the first things I noticed was the divergence of the popular belief of the US beeing such a free country and reality. I felt more free back home....