Is the USA the best country to live in?

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
6,993
0
0
The recent thread about emnem has got me thinking about America, its values, our society, and government. True, we are a superpower country, we dominate the industries, we have a gigantic army, etc. However, is this the place parents want to raise their kids? Its true we have a large population, but do other countries like German, England, France, Canada, or any other country have a better overall system then we do? Education, medical, state of society, economy, opportunity? Are we still the land of opportunity?
 

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
27,709
11
81
America isn't a country... The USA is a country. :)


And I think the UN consistently rates Canada, Sweden, and a few other countries ahead of the US in their list of the best places to live. To be honest though, all the top countries are so very similar in quality that it doesn't REALLY make that big of a difference.
 

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
17,033
1
81
Originally posted by: PoPPeR
The recent thread about emnem has got me thinking about America, its values, our society, and government. True, we are a superpower country, we dominate the industries, we have a gigantic army, etc. However, is this the place parents want to raise their kids? Its true we have a large population, but do other countries like German, England, France, Canada, or any other country have a better overall system then we do? Education, medical, state of society, economy, opportunity? Are we still the land of opportunity?

It is the best place to live in my opinion. There is oppurtunity for all and the least goverment intervention of any modern country.
 

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
44,303
15
81
The USA is a great country in which to live, provided you can avoid being deemed an Enemy Combatant, or prosecuted under the DMCA.
 

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
5,675
0
0
id say some of the european countries, and canada, are better places to live. id say USA is best overall for working, getting an education. i dont think its the best place to live (high cost of living etc.) but its definately not bad.
 

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
18,436
4
0
I really want to live in that Scandinavian country where they spend half their time in saunas. Who is that?
 

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
17,033
1
81
Originally posted by: silverpig
America isn't a country... The USA is a country. :)


And I think the UN consistently rates Canada, Sweden, and a few other countries ahead of the US in their list of the best places to live. To be honest though, all the top countries are so very similar in quality that it doesn't REALLY make that big of a difference.

Canada is what a socialist america would be, I would have to pass on that. The UN is pretty liberal in its views, so the US automatically loses points on that list.
 

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
6,993
0
0
so society as a whole is basically similar around the world? From listening to my German teacher talk about Germany, things are greatly different there. Besides the noticeable difference in country size, the way they treat alcohol, drugs, education, etc. is really different from the US. I personally would rather live in their society if they spoke english :) Well, aside from the barely any teens with cars and no space to park part.
 

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
17,033
1
81
Originally posted by: LongCoolMother
id say some of the european countries, and canada, are better places to live. id say USA is best overall for working, getting an education. i dont think its the best place to live (high cost of living etc.) but its definately not bad.


MOst of the US is not as expensive as california.
 

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
8,659
1
81
Due to the US's high GDP and stable economy, even in times of trouble, it allows the US to have a nice, high standard of living. Not to mention taxes are fairly low.
 

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
27,709
11
81
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: silverpig
America isn't a country... The USA is a country. :)


And I think the UN consistently rates Canada, Sweden, and a few other countries ahead of the US in their list of the best places to live. To be honest though, all the top countries are so very similar in quality that it doesn't REALLY make that big of a difference.

Canada is what a socialist america would be, I would have to pass on that. The UN is pretty liberal in its views, so the US automatically loses points on that list.

The UN is pretty liberal compared to the views of the US, but seeing as how the UN is made up of pretty much EVERY country in the world, it might be best to define the UN's position as neutral, and use that as a global reference point. The USA would thus be conservative.
 

cnwk64

Banned
Jul 18, 2001
402
0
0
it depands,
some of my friends from oil-rich countries rather stay home.
they don't have to work, if they don't want to.
they can stay at school as long as you want to, gov pays everything plus some spending cash.....

some of my friends from less-rich countries rather stay in US.
they can work their ass off at their home countries and still can't afford a car.

some of my friends from some highly develop countires, don't really care where they stay.
they can work their ass off at their home countries and still drive the car like next door's Mr unemployeed
or they don't have to work, if they don't want to.
they can stay at school as long as you want to, gov pays everything plus some spending cash.....
;)
 

ScottyB

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2002
6,677
1
0
Originally posted by: JC
I think so. I think Australia would be cool too :)

JC

I don't know, I haven't tried any other :D I want to try Japan, Australia and Canada though.
 

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
5,675
0
0
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: LongCoolMother
id say some of the european countries, and canada, are better places to live. id say USA is best overall for working, getting an education. i dont think its the best place to live (high cost of living etc.) but its definately not bad.


MOst of the US is not as expensive as california.

i agree. it costs so much to live in san jose. but then again, its got good jobs.

heres how i see it,

the USA is the best place to live for above average, to upper class people. it breaks about even with other countries for the average class (norway ring a bell?) . as for the lower class, i guess its about same for most major countries.
 

Dudd

Platinum Member
Aug 3, 2001
2,865
0
0
If you have a marketable skill, then I'd say yes. Why else would we have all sorts of immigrants trying to come here as computer programmers, engineers, doctors, etc. However, if you are a blue collar, high school educated at best type guy, then I'd guess that there would be better countries out there that offer more in the way of socail programs for the less fortunate to take part in. Personally, I plan on getting on a marketable skill, so go USA.
 

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
12,444
2
81
I could speculate to my heart's content, but honestly the United States is the only country in which I've lived so I'm not particularly qualified to answer. :)
 

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
16,464
4,532
136
Originally posted by: BatmanNate
I could speculate to my heart's content, but honestly the United States is the only country in which I've lived so I'm not particularly qualified to answer. :)


I agree...without having lived anywhere else. As far as visiting, I'd say U.S. is great if one has to "go".
:D
 

athithi

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2002
1,717
0
0
Personally, I think the US is the best place to live in if you are between the ages of 16 and 60. There're plenty of reasons why I feel so, but the most significant ones would be independence and self-reliance.