is the Apple status symbol over?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
I find it hilarious that in 2012, some people think 'status symbol' means: "everyone, including kids has one, it's in no way difficult to acquire, it's as common as household dirt."

LOL!

Exactly what 'status' is that symbolizing? Mundaneness?

Too funny.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Apple's slogan used to be "Think Different"... which was fine before iOS and the devices that use it, but nowadays it's more like "Think The Same".

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I find it hilarious that in 2012, some people think 'status symbol' means: "everyone, including kids has one, it's in no way difficult to acquire, it's as common as household dirt."

LOL!

Exactly what 'status' is that symbolizing? Mundaneness?

Too funny.

couldnt have said it better

Wonderful Pork

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2005
What is there to hate? They can still get the phone for cheap, only now it is more obvious that they are paying for it through their plan, and then, when they are done paying for it, they get a 'discount'.

I think the larger thing is to see if the other carriers adjust their stuff to follow suit. AT&T and Verizon have gotten filthy rich off of subsidies, text messages and data charges, how willing are they to change their business model if T-Mobile's thing start getting a lot of press?

Call me a pessimist but I don't think the general public is very open to change. I hope they are, but I'm not banking on it. Apple tried the whole unsubsidized iPhone thing, and that lasted like 1 year. Of course, AT&T still forced a contract but the plan wasn't that unreasonable - $70 for 450 minutes, unlimited data, and 200 txts.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
damn wonder if any walmarts near me are doing this for $127. i've been lazy about upgrading to the iphone 5 but at $127 that would get me to do it.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Call me a pessimist but I don't think the general public is very open to change. I hope they are, but I'm not banking on it. Apple tried the whole unsubsidized iPhone thing, and that lasted like 1 year. Of course, AT&T still forced a contract but the plan wasn't that unreasonable - $70 for 450 minutes, unlimited data, and 200 txts.

I don't know if it is a 1:1 comparison, the iPhone was ONLY sold unsubsidized, there was no way to get it for the price that people were used to. T-Mobile is simply making it clear that the reduced cost option comes at a higher monthly cost (which is still lower than other carriers), but will come back down at the end of the contract period. It seems to me that they are just making it more obvious that this is a $600 device that you are buying, and you are paying that $600 one way or another.

openwheel

Platinum Member
Apr 30, 2012
T-Mobile's new model is widely accepted internationally which keeps carriers from arbitrarily hiking the monthly premium. I like it and we should push for it in the US.

People who can't pay $500+tax up front (yet they can pay $200 plus tax on retail on their credit card?) shouldn't be on postpaid anyway.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2007
Not in the UK. Samsung is unfortunately gaining a foothold, I'll only buy their televisions, but Apple is still going from strength to strength and I can see this continuing for years to come.

Samsung makes some pretty crappy tvs. I'm a panasonic guy but I will buy a Sony tv before samsung.

Last edited:

thecapsaicinkid

Nov 30, 2012
Who here would see iPhone ownership as some sort of positive indicator of a person's wealth??

I'll probably get a lot of flack for saying this but, I think I'd actually consider it the opposite.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Who here would see iPhone ownership as some sort of positive indicator of a person's wealth??

I'll probably get a lot of flack for saying this but, I think I'd actually consider it the opposite.

I see it more like: "damn, I got an iphone3 years ago and I am stuck in this eco system called itunes, shit, may as well get an iphone 5 because I dont want to have to learn something new"

ImDonly1

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
Samsung makes some pretty crappy tvs. I'm a panasonic guy but I will buy a Sony tv before samsung.

And Sony TVs are now rebranded Sharp panels...
Seems you have been out of the loop.

Panasonic makes good plasmas, but Samsung also makes good TVs. Of course they have low, mid, and high end models. Depends which one you pick really.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
I see it more like: "damn, I got an iphone3 years ago and I am stuck in this eco system called itunes, shit, may as well get an iphone 5 because I dont want to have to learn something new"

And this is different from being "stuck" in the Android ecosystem? Or Blackberry ecosystem? Or Windows Phone ecosystem?

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
I don't understand how phones in general could be seen as status symbols. Is high end hardware of any kind a status symbol? Even in Belgium, an iPhone 5 32gb is 799 euros (1055 USD) and there are no phone subsidies, but I don't see anyone granting a level of 'status' to someone carrying a phone. There are 10 year old kids carrying iPhone 5s. Similarly 10 year olds with Galaxy S3s. Status symbols derive from some kind of rarity, no? Or difficulty/challenge with acquisition? No phones really have that attribute, and as far as I can recall people mocked those who bought Vertu phones. Viewing phones as status symbols is just bizarre to me.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
It's actually true, as he's talking about ecosystem in terms of iTunes.

Blackberry has no music ecosystem, WP has Zune (what's the status of Zune again? I forget), and with Android you can use many different apps to sync music/playlist between your computer and your phone (something like Double Twist), or even Google Music or Amazon MP3 to sync to the cloud.

The only thing even resembling to an established ecosystem is iTunes. And no, I'm not saying that this is bad. Not at all. In fact, it's great for the users that they have something as established as this.

All I'm saying is that Oyeve's short answer is correct. Anyone who thinks that being comfortable in Apple/iTunes ecosystem is the same thing as using any of the other non-Apple system is being silly.

cheezy321

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2003

Blackberry has no music ecosystem, WP has Zune (what's the status of Zune again? I forget), and with Android you can use many different apps to sync music/playlist between your computer and your phone (something like Double Twist), or even Google Music or Amazon MP3 to sync to the cloud.

The only thing even resembling to an established ecosystem is iTunes. And no, I'm not saying that this is bad. Not at all. In fact, it's great for the users that they have something as established as this.

All I'm saying is that Oyeve's short answer is correct. Anyone who thinks that being comfortable in Apple/iTunes ecosystem is the same thing as using any of the other non-Apple system is being silly.

Until you can move your purchased apps from android to WP8 or to iOS then you are still stuck in an ecosystem.

Almost all music on iTunes is DRM free. You are able to move it to any android phone you like. You are allowed to add purchased music on amazon to the iPhone. I am sure you can get music from google play and put it on your iPhone as well. You do have to use iTunes to do this.

I am not sure how movies are on Google play but I assume there is some DRM associated with them and after you purchase you cannot move it to a WP8 or iOS device.

I always exclude illegal means of getting music or movies. I dont think those should be included in any conversation about an ecosystem. This is where I think most people see android excel. It helps them enjoy their illegally downloaded music/movies much easier than other mobile operating systems.

There is an ecosystem involved with every device. If you want to discuss the most closed off ecosystem then I would agree that its apple. Just dont act like google's ecosystem is come and go as you please and you can take everything you purchased on there and move it to any device you want. Not true.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005

Care to elaborate on how being "stuck" in an iTunes ecosystem is different from being stuck in an BB, Android, or WP7/8 ecosystem? Aside from the fact that iTunes hasthe most mature and complete ecosystem?

The only thing you're telling me is that Apple's iOS (iTunes) has the most mature and complete ecosystem. That's it. You're not telling me how being locked into Android is any different from being locked into iOS.

If anything, your comments are telling me that buying an iOS device is BETTER than one of the other devices due to how well established and complete the iOS ecosystem is.

No. Oyeve's short answer does not do crap. There's no basis for his answer. He doesn't answer the question that I posed.

It's like someone telling you that every other galaxy evolves around the Milky Way and the only proof they can come up with is that they said so. There's no argument in support of that statement. None. Zero. Not even an opinion to support that statement. Essentially what Oyeve has done.

openwheel

Platinum Member
Apr 30, 2012
No one has a better eco system than Google.

Not my words, just quoting Engadget editors. I just happen to agree with them. You can be productive by surrounding yourself with Google products and never look at Microsoft, or even Apple.

Last edited:

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
If anything, your comments are telling me that buying an iOS device is BETTER than one of the other devices due to how well established and complete the iOS ecosystem is.

I seriously don't mind if that's what you get from what I said.

The point I was making is that if you 'bought in' the iOS ecosystem, it's much harder to get out compared to the others.

Of course, Oyeve's post made it look like it's horrible ("damn, I'm stuck in this iTunes ecosystem with my iPhone 3GS, might as well upgrade to iPhone 5"), but I don't see this necessarily as a bad thing.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
No one has a better eco system than Google.

Not my words, just quoting Engadget editors. I just happen to agree with them. You can be productive by surrounding yourself with Google products and never look at Microsoft, or even Apple.

lol, that editor needs to do his homework. Apple has the most seamless and polished ecosystem by far. Google's ecosystem, if you can even call it that, is clunky at best.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Cause all the other companies tried to emulate Apple. Their retail store, apps store, OS look and feel, marketing..etc. Now every other mobile device looks and feels just as prestigious from the case down to the accessories. Took them long enough though.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Cause all the other companies tried to emulate Apple. Their retail store, apps store, OS look and feel, marketing..etc. Now every other mobile device looks and feels just as prestigious from the case down to the accessories. Took them long enough though.

I'll always look at them as Apple knockoffs until they can come out with something original on their own.