is the Apple status symbol over?

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by rakez, Dec 14, 2012.

1. rakez

rakez Junior Member

2. luv2liv

luv2liv Platinum Member

it might be losing its lust factor in usa. but iphone5 is still the hottest thing in asia. in vietnam, you'll see poor people carrying it. its a huge status symbol there.

3. Eug

Eug Lifer

In Canada, the iPhone 5 still sells sheetloads. On a lot of carriers the only way to get it subsidized is on a 3-year contract (yes, 3 year :() and even then, the contract is often higher cost. In contrast, I'm ordering a Razr HD at much lower cost. On my carrier, Fido:

Razr HD 16 GB
    $50 on 2-year contract
    Contract is $56 per month for 2 GB data and unlimited everything else, incl. nationwide long distance.
    $56 plan is a front page promotion.

iPhone 5 16 GB
    $179 on 3-year contract. There is no 2-year contract option at all.
    $56 plan is not eligible.
    Equivalent plan is $80, but you can get it to $67 if you know enough to negotiate.

Over the course of three years, that means the iPhone costs (($179-50) + ($11*36)) = $525 more. Ouch. And that's not even counting the fact that for the 3rd year, the Razr HD deal would be off contract.

Ironically, Google just made the iPhone 5 more attractive than it was last week, with the release of Google Maps for iOS.

#3 Eug, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  4. lopri

lopri Elite Member

God bless the free market and competition. I hope MS makes some dent in the phone market, too, so that I can enjoy the latest and the greatest for less and less.

5. ponyo

ponyo Lifer

What's Apple retail store price match policy? I wonder if they will price match Walmart. I assume Bestbuy, Target, and others will price match Walmart.

6. lothar

lothar Diamond Member

Shens.
    Apple's launch of the iPhone 5 in China only had two people waiting in line.
    The worst launch of any Apple product in history.

7. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

Lolz. Link?

8. zerogear

zerogear Diamond Member

I don't think we want more people selling their kidney on black market to buy Apple products.... or do we? :colbert:

9. khha4113

khha4113 Member

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1065161-the-lines-meme-seems-bogus

#9 khha4113, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  10. shabby

shabby Diamond Member

11. OBLAMA2009

OBLAMA2009 Diamond Member

apple is still deficient relative to android when it cums to screen size. theres no reason why apple should be selling for twice what the top android phones sell for

12. ImDonly1

ImDonly1 Platinum Member

13. Kenmitch

Kenmitch Diamond Member

Apple looks to have peaked and is currently on the decline. The magic pixie dust is getting weaker by the month.

Litigation doesn't look to be working out for the best....Seems like Apple should spend more effort/time/$'s on innovation.

Guess the " Made in America " might be the next step to maintain/slow down the rate of decline.

14. MagnusTheBrewer

Every product rises and falls. The question is, will the new hotness come from Apple or someone else.

15. dagamer34

dagamer34 Platinum Member

The RDF cannot last forever and there are some truly competitive products out there.

16. Zaap

Zaap Diamond Member

I'm with you on this. Competition is king.

17. openwheel

openwheel Golden Member

Apple is the poor man's status symbol. Always was and should continue for at least few more years.

18. pakotlar

pakotlar Senior member

? lol

19. Zaap

Zaap Diamond Member

I think he's right. (By the way, I don't think so as a slam against Apple or the products per-se, just the idea that consumer electronics are or ever have been in any way a 'status symbol'.)

Not that I usually am, but I'd be much more impressed by (for example) a $100,000 exclusive sort of car as a status symbol that announces someone is rich (or just borrows/spends a lot of money.)

Buying a laptop or desktop computer (I don't care how much it cost) just isn't a status symbol. It merely says: you borrowed/spent money and bought a laptop or a desktop. Whoopidy.

A phone or tablet? Forget it, even less of a 'status symbol' and looks even sillier if a person is ever acting as if they think it is. An MP3/media player? Beyond silly.

20. Zink

Zink Senior member

A phone isn't a high end status symbol but having the latest technology is obviously part of what many people want. If the idea of a status symbol is to convey that you are doing well financially then I can see why people would want to have an iPhone and a Macbook instead of a $500 laptop and a flip phone. Kool kids at school have Retina Macbooks, whether they have money or not I'm envious of their laptops and that may well factor into why they bought one.

21. cronos

cronos Diamond Member

Apple owners will always carry with them the 'douchebag' stigma so no need to worry about that going away any time soon :)

For the record, I own a Macbook Pro and a couple of iPod Touches (I have claimed on this forum before that I'm the #1 iPod Touch fan in the whole world) and if Apple ever got to their senses and ditched the US carriers and sell the iPhones direct to customers factory unlocked on release day, I'll get one as well. So I'm definitely one of these DBs and I don't care :D

22. ew915

ew915 Senior member

I don't know about status symbol but people sure are dumb enough to pay a premium even if its used, so i buy an ipad/iphone/macbook in the USA, whenever i go to asia or europe i can sell it for the same price i paid after using it for 9-12 months, then with that money i'll just buy the latest generation and i rinse and repeat.
    It just makes me so happy that i get to use the latest and the greatest fashion and status symbol in electronics for free because there are plenty of people ready to pay my asking price whenever i want to upgrade
    I however get the opposite reaction with my android devices, don't get me wrong they are cool and everything but once you are ready to wave them good bye, it becomes a buyer's market.

23. joshhedge

joshhedge Senior member

Not in the UK. Samsung is unfortunately gaining a foothold, I'll only buy their televisions, but Apple is still going from strength to strength and I can see this continuing for years to come.

24. Red Storm

Red Storm Lifer

Curious, but why is this unfortunate? Wouldn't you want to have more competition?

I'm an Android fan and I greatly prefer it over the other mobile OSes, but I sure would not want Android to have complete control of the market. Competition brings out the best in us, and really pushes for more innovation.

25. joshhedge

joshhedge Senior member

I just dislike them, don't like how they feel, I also agree that they have copied Apple in numerous areas. Just my personal opinion, I'm an HTC owner though, although they've dropped hugely in popularity since the desire series.