is the Apple status symbol over?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Shens.
Apple's launch of the iPhone 5 in China only had two people waiting in line.
The worst launch of any Apple product in history.

Well... why wait in line when you can just pick one up at work?

:awe:

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
iPhone 5 First Weekend Sales in China Top Two Million

BEIJING—December 17, 2012—Apple® today announced it has sold over two million of its new iPhone® 5 in China, just three days after its launch on December 14. iPhone 5 will be available in more than 100 countries by the end of December, making it the fastest iPhone rollout ever.

“Customer response to iPhone 5 in China has been incredible, setting a new record with the best first weekend sales ever in China,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “China is a very important market for us and customers there cannot wait to get their hands on Apple products.”

iPhone 5 is the thinnest and lightest iPhone ever, completely redesigned to feature a stunning new 4-inch Retina® display; an Apple-designed A6 chip for blazing fast performance; and ultrafast wireless technology*—all while delivering even better battery life.** iPhone 5 comes with iOS 6, the world’s most advanced mobile operating system with over 200 new features including: Shared Photo Streams, all-new Maps app, Passbook® organization and even more Siri® features and languages including Mandarin.

*Network speeds are dependent on carrier networks, check with your carrier for details.
**Battery life depends on device settings, usage and other factors. Actual results vary.

Apple designs Macs, the best personal computers in the world, along with OS X, iLife, iWork and professional software. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store. Apple has reinvented the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App Store, and is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices with iPad.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Apple is the poor man's status symbol. Always was and should continue for at least few more years.

Too true. You never see someone who's loaded walking around wearing clothes that have brands on them. Apple is the status symbol brand to have for the poor and uninformed.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002

BEIJING—December 17, 2012—Apple® today announced it has sold over two million of its new iPhone® 5 in China, just three days after its launch on December 14. iPhone 5 will be available in more than 100 countries by the end of December, making it the fastest iPhone rollout ever.

“Customer response to iPhone 5 in China has been incredible, setting a new record with the best first weekend sales ever in China,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “China is a very important market for us and customers there cannot wait to get their hands on Apple products.”

iPhone 5 is the thinnest and lightest iPhone ever, completely redesigned to feature a stunning new 4-inch Retina® display; an Apple-designed A6 chip for blazing fast performance; and ultrafast wireless technology*—all while delivering even better battery life.** iPhone 5 comes with iOS 6, the world’s most advanced mobile operating system with over 200 new features including: Shared Photo Streams, all-new Maps app, Passbook® organization and even more Siri® features and languages including Mandarin.

*Network speeds are dependent on carrier networks, check with your carrier for details.
**Battery life depends on device settings, usage and other factors. Actual results vary.

Apple designs Macs, the best personal computers in the world, along with OS X, iLife, iWork and professional software. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store. Apple has reinvented the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App Store, and is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices with iPad.

Aww, I saw that article and remembered some of the posts in this thread. I guess you beat me to it.

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010
The iPhone 5 is the most elegant designed phone out on the market.
I just cant stand the oblong shape of the phone.
Give me the 3:2 ratio back.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Every cult comes to an end either at the gunpoint of the FBI or by the more mundane disillusioned followers dispersing.

There is only so long you can sell a similar product for twice the price because it comes in white and have everyone think that is a status symbol.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Aww, I saw that article and remembered some of the posts in this thread. I guess you beat me to it.

And yet at the same time it helps to also read information that hasn't been generated by Apple's PR department. Apple has potentially cut their iPhone 5 orders by 10 million units for Q1 2013 (reported but not confirmed I believe). It seems that China alone isn't enough.

I wonder how long these crazy sales numbers are sustainable for not only Apple but all of the major players. At some point I have to believe the general public (not us geeks necessarily) is going to start holding onto these expensive phones for more than the minimum two year plan. I paid $300 for my iPhone, and while that won't break the bank it is still a decent amount of cash. I have an upgrade available to me, I could go out today and get a new iPhone 5, but I see no reason to. Maybe others are starting to feel the same way.

Last edited:

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
I'm pretty sure that my post was backed by WSJ and Reuters. Anyone that has any questions can contact their editorial boards.

openwheel

Platinum Member
Apr 30, 2012

Ah the initial craze. Funny the Asian market is also saying orders of iPhone 5 from manufacturer is shrinking below expectations. Wasn't Apple #6 in the Chinese market just couple weeks ago? I wonder how 2 million iPhone 5 puts Apple. Btw Xiao Mi (I hope I spelled it right) is flying off the shelves in Asia.

podspi

Golden Member
Jan 11, 2011
Apple doesn't want to become #1, just like Mercedes doesn't want to become #1.

Their brand value depends upon being 'exclusive' and 'different'. That is why I am surprised they actually came out with an iPad mini, and frankly if Jobs was still alive and in charge I doubt it would have happened.

At least in the States, the people I know don't consider the i-products to be status symbols anymore (because they are so common), but people still consider them cool or "the best". The luster has definitely worn off though. My non-techie mother shocked me at Thanksgiving because she said she was considering switching from a dumbphone to a WP8 (no specific model in mind). I really don't like Microsoft's current advertising campaign but I guess it must be working...

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Apple had quality products but they stopped innovating and the iphone5 is really meh compared to its competitors. If they would stop trying to litigate its competitors out of the market place instead of beating them with better products then they might regain the lost luster they had a few years ago with the very first iphone.

AustinInDallas

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2012
www.amitelerad.com
stores make a LOT of money on activations, and every store in the world now sells cell phones. They can either let you go to BB and buy it, or make a few less dollars and have you buy it there. Not sure about the other brands, but ATT and Verizon really take care of their activation partners

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
I'm pretty sure that my post was backed by WSJ and Reuters. Anyone that has any questions can contact their editorial boards.

The low lines was related to a new reservation system. The incorrect conclusion drawn from that was that it was the worst iPhone launch in China. So no need to contact any editors. They and you drew the wrong conclusions.

openwheel

Platinum Member
Apr 30, 2012
They had the obvious and correct conclusion. You need to read beyond personal bias and dive into the numbers to actually understand what's happening out there.

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
They had the obvious and correct conclusion. You need to read beyond personal bias and dive into the numbers to actually understand what's happening out there.

Obvious? I can buy that. Correct? What argument do you have to say that this was the worst launch? I am assuming that a public company would have scathing lashback on falsifying numbers. So what launch numbers do you think it's closer to?

Launch != outlook (which I have no feeling on)

Feb 19, 2001
2 million sold at launch which is around what the iPhone 4 sold. That's still well over the launch that the Android phones have been able to accomplish. I know you guys always tout that 5 million Galaxy note sales # but that's over a month or two or more. The iPhone can easily hit 5 million within a month if not well more.

Obvious and correct conclusion? How much more biased can you get? When you guys link to stupid articles designed to make fun of Apple going "LOL 1 person in line only" do you even sound remotely credible? The articles go on to explain what happened, but you guys say things like "Worst Apple launch in history," etc. Bias?

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
2 million sold at launch which is around what the iPhone 4 sold. That's still well over the launch that the Android phones have been able to accomplish. I know you guys always tout that 5 million Galaxy note sales # but that's over a month or two or more. The iPhone can easily hit 5 million within a month if not well more.

Obvious and correct conclusion? How much more biased can you get? When you guys link to stupid articles designed to make fun of Apple going "LOL 1 person in line only" do you even sound remotely credible? The articles go on to explain what happened, but you guys say things like "Worst Apple launch in history," etc. Bias?

Given the large number of kinds of Android phones available and the incredibly small number of kinds of iPhones available, 5 million in a month or two is as impressive as whatever the iPhone's sales figures are.