Is paying people in pennies mean?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
now what'd be good is if you went into the bank and got the 12.42 in pennies, then after you left the seller walked into the bank to the same teller and asked for bills in place of his 12.42 in pennies.

Parasitic

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2002
You are worse than those people who whip out a tip calculator, calculate a percentage, round DOWN, and tip with either exact change or simply just change.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
It would be fairly irritating, yes. Would you like being paid in pennies? Wouldn't it be more convenient for both parties to use cash for the $12?

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: brxndxn
I think it's already to the point where pennies fetch more than a penny each at the recycling center..
Only certain ones.
After 1982, they were mostly zinc.

Originally posted by: Parasitic
You are worse than those people who whip out a tip calculator, calculate a percentage, round DOWN, and tip with either exact change or simply just change.
Screw that, I'll just invoke Godwin's law.

Paying people with pennies makes you worse than Hitler.

There. Done. </thread>

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
I kind of have this tradition going in my family that the relatives under 21 get paid X amount of dollars, matching their age in years, in pennies. Unrolled, wrapped in various fashions.
That's family so it's ok.

If you paid me $12 in rolled pennies I really wouldn't mind. My first reaction would be to pity your poor, penny pushing ass, then I would crack 2 or 3 random rolls to make sure you weren't ripping me off.

LongCoolMother

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2001
if you're in a big retail store such as Target or safeway, then I'd so theres not a problem. Its legal tender, and money is money. But if you're paying an individual person, then yeah, thats mean.