Is atheism a religion?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Seekermeister

Golden Member
Oct 3, 2006
ADDAvenger,

but there is no one unifying belief of atheists, they simply don't believe in god(s).

I would say that is a very big unifying belief. As far as your comment comparing this to science, I would only disagree with your conclusion. Yes, there are Christian scientists, but they do not compose the mainstream of science, and that mainstream has a very strong influence over what is deemed scientific. But, as you said, that is another subject in itself. Regardless of what a person might choose, there are limited choices about the basic beliefs regarding God. Either you believe,you believe in some other god, you believe in none, or you don't know what to believe. Believers in God are in the minority within the scientific community, and what they find is too often ignored.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Yeah didn't quite put my thought into the right words, fixed it though.

I probably wouldn't've made that mistake, but I was thinking about it as I typed.

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: spidey07

heh, my point was that the athiest religion tries to force it's religion on others much more feverntly than any other. They hypocrisy is mant/most athetists wax poetic about how religion tries to forces itself upon others, and in turn they try to force their religion on society....hypocrisy.

;)
It is both naive and irresponsible to paint all atheists with your broad brush -- especially when it is obvious you have such a misconception about the reality of atheism.

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Seekermeister
Originally posted by: blackllotus
So trying to ensure that this country remains secular is the same as forcing atheism on everybody?
That implies that this country has always been secular, and that is not true. The Constitution only gives a person the right to not be controlled by any particular religion. That includes atheism.

Secular <> atheistic

Seekermeister

Golden Member
Oct 3, 2006
Garth,

While all atheists are not equal, this is no worse than painting all Christians with the same brush. Yes, I have spoken to more moderate atheists, but then I really believe that they were not atheists at all, but agnostics. It is characteristic of atheists to directly oppose God, not merely not to worship Him.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: her209
I am the human reincarnation of God.
I won't say what you really are, because it isn't worth the trouble.
No need. I know what you were going to say. I'm God!

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Satchel
Originally posted by: Garth
FOR THE LAST MOTHERFSKING TIME IF YOU ARE AN ATHEIST IT DOEST NOT MEAN YOU CAN'T ALSO BE AGNOSTIC AT THE SAME TIME.
a·the·ist (a'the-ist)
n.
One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.

ag·nos·tic (ag-nos'tik)
n.
One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.
One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.
If I had a dollar for every sycophant that argued straight out of the dictionary I'd be a rich, rich man.

Here's a clue, Poindexter, dictionaries don't define words, they record their usage -- even sloppy usage like this one you've foolishly take authoritatively.

What I've said is true. The dichotomies between gnosticism/agnosticism and theism/atheism are orthogonal, and they are each complete. There is no "third option" between either of them. You are one or the other, in each case, and belonging to one side of one dichotomy does not preclude you from belonging to either side of the second dichotomy.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
The only thing that I'm confused about is your response. While I agree that a person should know what their beliefs are, if an agnostic knew, they would not be agnostic. A person doesn't simply choose what they believe...unless they are atheistic. Being outspoken if fine, but only when what they say is the truth as they see it.

I still don't know what you're trying to say.

"if an agnostic knew, they would not be agnostic."

what? If the agnostic believes/knows that he/she doesn't have proof either way then they are agnostic.

I am saying that they should know they are agnostic and not atheist, but it seems like many are confused about it and thing that they can be both an agnostic and an atheist, or that they are an atheist when they are really agnostic.

And that is quite frustrating to see.

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Garth,

While all atheists are not equal, this is no worse than painting all Christians with the same brush. Yes, I have spoken to more moderate atheists, but then I really believe that they were not atheists at all, but agnostics. It is characteristic of atheists to directly oppose God, not merely not to worship Him.
I can only surmise that you do not understand what the words "atheist" and "agnostic" actually mean.

Furthermore it is utterly ridiculous to propose that a person can "oppose" a person or thing that he does not believe to exist.

But then, I never accused a Christian like yourself of being a model of rational thinking.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
her209,

No need. I know what you were going to say. I'm God!
If you are God, then tell me exactly what I'm thinking right now.
"I'm going to say her209 is wrong no matter what he says."

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic
Who isn't?
Everyone else are posers. Mere mortals acting god-like.
Thanks for trolling.
Can you prove otherwise?
Easily. But you won't understand it.

Here goes though: you alone can't be God because it takes the collective of everything to be God.

Seekermeister

Golden Member
Oct 3, 2006
Garth,

Your comments have broken down into nothing more than flames, which is typical of when a person runs out of anything more worthwhile. So I won't bother responding further, unless I see a change in your tact.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Who isn't?
Everyone else are posers. Mere mortals acting god-like.
Thanks for trolling.
Can you prove otherwise?
Easily. But you won't understand it.

Here goes though: you alone can't be God because it takes the collective of everything to be God.
I put that misconception out there to separate the true believers from the herd. I mean, think about it. If I were the collection of everything, I would be evil as well.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
her209,

"I'm going to say her209 is wrong no matter what he says."
God is infallible, so how could you be wrong?
No, I didn't say I was wrong. I said you were going to say I am wrong regardless of what I said. There is a difference.

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Garth,

Your comments have broken down into nothing more than flames,
Ridiculous claims will be met with the ridicule they deserve.

which is typical of when a person runs out of anything more worthwhile.
My arguments that refute your silly claims are already presented in this thread, on this page, only several posts ago. I see no need to repeat them.

So I won't bother responding further, unless I see a change in your tact.
Which always seems like Chrisitan-debater secret code for "I cannot argue against the facts, but I will refuse to admit it."

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: yllus

This is not the same as claiming that your dog Spot heads the U.S. military-industrial complex.

Who the hell gave you that information? That is NOT for the public domain! Erase your post now before more people find out!