Is America ready for gay/bi Superman?

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I’m not so sure. Hear me out—I think it’s great that comics (and all forms of media) have so many diverse and LGBTQ characters now—representation is a good thing. But I fear the backlash will be greater. We often accuse conservatives of doing dumb things just to “own the libs”—I could see why conservatives might see gay Superman as just something libs are doing to force a “homosexual agenda” and own them…just another shot fired in the culture war. Not that I really care what they think—but I’m wary of how these talking points get spun up and people get caught up in it. On the surface, gay Superman should be no different than black Superman, cyborg Superman or Supergirl—just another take on an iconic character. But I don’t want this to “cause” any further division in our society either.

7ee88413e619aaa95e48391b596a4813.jpg

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Sure it will piss off the homophobes because Superman is supposed to be a symbol of uber-masculinity. Let them stew over it at Fox News for weeks on end like they did with Dr. Seuss. It isn't going to help Trump win an election, and we're already about as culturally divided as we can possibly be.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Depends on what part of America you are talking about. In the North East, and West? I don;t think most people will care.

But, the deep south (bible belt) I think you'd have better luck winning the $500m lotto.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Is he gay when he's an alien? I mean the thought of Superman having sex with women always kinda grossed me out because he's an alien you know.

Anyway like many things I don't think it needed to be done but don't have a problem with it. Yet I'm sure lots of conservatives in the closet will have issues with it (even when they're lying, cheating, stealing, and fucking everything that moves in real life). You however can't live your life worried about what these people will think because the only reason the world has moved forward is due to the actions of innovative people despite the objections of conservatives.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Is he gay when he's an alien? I mean the thought of Superman having sex with women always kinda grossed me out because he's an alien you know.

Yes but he's apparently human enough to cross-breed with a human. This bi-sexual Superman is the son of Clark Kent and Lois Lane. None of that seems all that likely, but then again, this is a comic book.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Yes but he's apparently human enough to cross-breed with a human. This bi-sexual Superman is the son of Clark Kent and Lois Lane. None of that seems all that likely, but then again, this is a comic book.
Cross breed? Yuck!
Did you ever see that alien movie species where the sexy alien goes around killing men and successfully breeding with them? That's what I think of when you bring up cross breed with an alien. Yuck!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I’m not so sure. Hear me out—I think it’s great that comics (and all forms of media) have so many diverse and LGBTQ characters now—representation is a good thing. But I fear the backlash will be greater. We often accuse conservatives of doing dumb things just to “own the libs”—I could see why conservatives might see gay Superman as just something libs are doing to force a “homosexual agenda” and own them…just another shot fired in the culture war. Not that I really care what they think—but I’m wary of how these talking points get spun up and people get caught up in it. On the surface, gay Superman should be no different than black Superman, cyborg Superman or Supergirl—just another take on an iconic character. But I don’t want this to “cause” any further division in our society either.

7ee88413e619aaa95e48391b596a4813.jpg
As you mention, I would like to hear any coherent argument as to why making Superman into a cyborg, a lion, an ant (lol, seriously), having him grow two extra arms, etc. was all fine but being gay is a bridge too far.

It's a comic book, a formerly straight character re-imagined as gay is probably one of the least weird things that happens.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
It's a comic book, a formerly straight character re-imagined as gay is probably one of the least weird things that happens.
Just to be clear (for anyone too lazy to read the link) Clark Kent is still a red-blooded cisgender heterosexual American (Kryptonian) male with the hots for Lois Lane. Nobody turned him gay. This is all about Jon Kent (his son).

Reactions: Pohemi

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Cross breed? Yuck!
Did you ever see that alien movie species where the sexy alien goes around killing men and successfully breeding with them? That's what I think of when you bring up cross breed with an alien. Yuck!
I imagine it more like the fetus kicking its way out of Lois like in Alien.

• Haha
Reactions: pmv and Pohemi

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I'm not sure how you can change Superman's sexuality when his history is already established.

How do you explain his relationship with Lois Lane?

• Haha
Reactions: hal2kilo

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I'm not sure how you can change Superman's sexuality when his history is already established.

You cannot be fucking serious. If you want to go down that rabbit hole, he famously died in the mid 90s.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

In comics no history is 'already established'. Whenever they feel like it they just say 'a wizard made a new universe' or whatever and then reset every character to whatever they feel like.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Then you force them ready… with stuff like this.
I am sure they can crowd fund a one way ticket to taliban land if they’re that much into the old days..

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
This is making a lot less waves aside from the expected culture war grifters because public perception has moved on over the past 20 years.

For example:

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 1.04.53 PM.png

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Three thoughts.
It's not as important as what brand of plastic wrap I use.
As a stunt to generate some publicity, it appears to have been effective.
I've never purchased or read a comic book, and won't be compelled to do so by the announcement that superman is gay.

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
One of the (newer) Robin characters "came-out" recently as well.

Superman is slightly more surprising, but only before digging deeper than the headline and realizing that it isn't actually the original character.

Much ado about nothing in my opinion, just more ammo for divisive culture wars. I understand what @UNCjigga feels as far as not giving conservatives more fuel, but really...does it matter? They'll find boogeymen anyway, and we know this.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
OP, could you add a statement to the top of your post, in big red letters, that Clark Kent is not the character that is catching the gayness? It might keep the thread from being a complete train wreck.

Nov 29, 2006
Who cares what conservatives think. If they don't like it they can exercise some of that "personal responsibility" they love to talk about and stop reading Superman. Or they can accept the world is always changing/evolving and get with the times.