iOS 6 Jailbreak released

Discussion in 'All Things Apple' started by bearxor, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Ichinisan

Ichinisan Lifer

An "SHSH blob" is some bit of data Apple's server provides each time you perform a firmware upgrade or restore. Security measures require it. Each SHSH blob is unique to your combination of device+firmware version. When Apple releases a new firmware (which usually blocks known jailbreaks), they also stop providing SHSH blobs for the previous firmware, preventing you from performing a restore to the older version. If you back up SHSH blobs for the current firmware, it's possible to downgrade to this version at any future date. Even if there's never another jailbreak for any future firmware, you can always go back to this one and jailbreak again...but only if you saved the SHSH blob.

2. Ichinisan

Ichinisan Lifer

If I can get Cydia to let me download a single £^%#ing package, I would put Veency on here. Even though it's not perfect, it's still cool to control my phone from my PC.

There are loads of useful UI tweaks. You can also remove restrictions from tethering and mobile FaceTime. You can enable Siri, native navigation, and 3D maps for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPod touch 4th gen (can't recommend 3D maps unless you have at least 512B RAM, which excludes all those except iPhone 4). I personally love SMS GV Extension for integrating Google Voice text messages with my native iMessage app.

3. Miramonti

Miramonti Lifer

Thanks for the info.

4. TheStu

TheStu Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets

I felt that way too, but I jailbroke so I could have the following tweaks:

Auxo: Improved task switcher and switcher tray

Zephyr: Adds in gestures for multitasking and getting around the interface

ShowCase: You know how the iOS keyboard always shows CAPITAL letters and you have to look at the shift key to know which case you are in, or find out the hard way when you type? This will change the case of the keyboard based on the case that you are currently typing.

SwipeSelection: This lets you move the selection cursor by swiping on the keyboard, so if you don't land exactly where you meant to, you don't have to press and hold.

5. TheStu

TheStu Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets

I saved my SHSH blob post 6.1 update, but just before jailbreaking. Should I save another now, post-jailbreak?

Also, I'm getting a new iPhone tonight, what's the best order of operations?

1: Install 6.1
    2: Backup SHSH
    3: Install Jailbreak
    4: Restore from backup of old iPhone
    ?

6. Ichinisan

Ichinisan Lifer

The SHSH backup can be before, after, or anytime in between (unless Apple releases 6.1.1 right now and immediately stops signing 6.1, which isn't likely).

I'd use this order:
    1: Install 6.1
    2: Backup SHSH
    3: Restore from backup of old iPhone (I didn't have to do this because the upgrade went smoothly and all my data was there)
    4: Install Jailbreak

7. Spineshank

Spineshank Diamond Member

I actually use TetherMe myself. I know a lot of people like MyWi though.

8. Eug

Eug Lifer

Luckily that's not an issue for me, up here in Canada. All plans that are 1 GB or larger on my carrier include tethering whether you need it or not.

If we didn't have that though, that would be one of the only things that would make me consider jailbreaking. Otherwise I'm not interested.

What I really want is my Apple TV 2 to be jailbroken, and the FireCore ATV Flash software updated.

9. Printer Bandit

what happened to Lockinfo 5? it's terrible.

10. Synomenon

Synomenon Diamond Member

^
    I agree. I can't even get it to look like this anymore:
    [​IMG]

11. kmmatney

kmmatney Diamond Member

Everything working well for me on iPhone 4S with iOS 6.1. I'm having trouble downloading from Cydia, but I'm sure it's from all the traffic.

12. Anonemous

Anonemous Diamond Member

hmmm, are there hidden tweaks that are enabled when Cydia is installed? For some reason, when I make phone calls and move the phone away slightly away from my ear, the speaker phone gets activated. In some cases, the phone dialer button gets pressed? Is there a way to deactivate this?

13. Ichinisan

Ichinisan Lifer

Glitchy face proximity sensor issue. I replaced my iPhone 4 several times and gave up because they all had that problem. It seemed to be associated with spastic UI hitching / unresponsiveness. If it was having that momentary spasm the moment I put the phone up to my face, the sensor would never trip and the screen would stay on, so features would be accidentally activated.

No proximity sensor issues my iPhone 5, but I've heard that some screen protectors cause problems with it.

My iPhone 5 has had strange UI responsiveness issues when waking up the phone (not related to jailbreak). I sometimes press the home button or lock button to make the screen come on. If it doesn't come on after several seconds have passed, I press the other button. A second or so after that, the phone might wake up and behave as if I pressed both buttons simultaneously (screen shot function activates).

#38 Ichinisan, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  14. Spineshank

Spineshank Diamond Member

Thats pretty sweet.

15. bearxor

bearxor Diamond Member

If anyone is waiting to update to iOS 6 so you can JB, you might want to get a move on. Apple's already seeding beta of 6.1.1 and it will most likely be the "fix the hole" update.

16. bearxor

bearxor Diamond Member

I had that happen on my 3G, 4 and 5. It's like it's doing some kind of background task or something and it takes too long to wake up and then process everything at once.

17. Synomenon

Synomenon Diamond Member

How do I save my SHSH blobs? If Apple is already working on 6.1.1, I'd like to be able to restore to 6.1 still if I need to.

18. ControlD

ControlD Diamond Member

Go get Tiny Umbrella if you want to save your shsh locally.

19. Synomenon

Synomenon Diamond Member

Is it too late to save them if we've already jailbroken our phones?

20. ControlD

ControlD Diamond Member

Nope. It used to be that once you jailbroke Cydia would backup your SHSH automatically. I'm not sure if that is still the case though. Either way, Tiny Umbrella will get them if you are jailbroken just fine.

21. Anonemous

Anonemous Diamond Member

Huh, so I should take off the screen cover? This problem didn't appear until after the jailbreak. :( It's kinda annoying that it turns on speaker phone if i don't have the phone pressing on my ear.

22. Ichinisan

Ichinisan Lifer

TinyUmbrella can do it on any touch iDevice, jailbroken or not.

23. ControlD

ControlD Diamond Member

Indeed. I think it is good practice to always save the SHSH blobs for all of my devices when each update comes out whether I plan on making the update or not. You never know when you might wish to go back a version. I think that is good practice whether you jailbreak or run stock.

24. leeland

leeland Diamond Member

SO...dumb question...I was gifted an Apple TV v3...what is the expectation that that version of Apple TV will be jailbroken?

When they are jailbroken...can you easily stream .mvk's?

25. Sleepingforest

Sleepingforest Platinum Member

I have over 50 tweaks and Cydia utilities on at any time, plus I've edited the daemons to increase my available RAM and decrease boot/reboot times. The most useful tweaks:

• Activator: Lets you assign actions to various button pushes and screen swipes. I have it set to control play/pause via simultaneously pressing the volume buttons.
    • Dashboard X: Put widgets, like Android, on the Springboard (the screen where you launch apps).
    • F.lux: Make the screen more orange at night. Helps keep your phone from awkwardly illuminating your face.
    • Folder Enhancer: Customize your folders, give them pages, nesting folders, etc.
    • Forecast: Alters the lockscreen clock to include weather.
    • Gridlock and Iconoclasm: Customize app placement on Springboard.
    • iCleaner: Do you notice the "Other" section of data on your phone creeping up on you? iCleaner deletes junk files to reclaim space (upward of 1GB when I first did it).
    • Infinidock: Scrolling. Dock.
    • NCSettings: Puts settings like Wifi and brightness into the Notification Center.
    • Spotdict: Lets you use the search page as a dictionary.
    • SwipeAway and Zephyr: Swipe from the bottom of the screen to return to the Springboard and get to the multitasking bar. Swipe up on an app to close it. (Good for obsessive folks, even if it doesn't help the memory).
    • Tempus: Gives a much better music control experience on the lockscreen.
    • 3GUnrestrictor: Download any sized app over 3/4G/LTE.
    Seriously, it's hard to go back to vanilla iOS after having these.