Invisible Attacks Causing Brain Injury Being Reported?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 17, 2019
So either the Russians have a borderline SciFi weapon that they have been deployed around the world to undetectably target Americans, or this is stress and hysteria.
Sound based weapons aren't really SciFi and are in use in a few places.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Hell, at least I'm not completely humorless, made me chuckle.

The irony is, I was being serious. I think the threat is real. If the purpose of these attacks was to impact our standing in other nations by disabling staff then unfortunately proper EM shielded headgear (like a helmet?) might be required. Might even need a pilots visor.

That might hopefully put this whole thing to bed. Unfortunately our diplomats will appear to be absurd in public.

(unless they could wear something like this:)

Capture.PNG

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Directed microwaves are far from sci-fi, probably what these attacks are.

No one has a clue what is causing this. It's all just guessing that this point.

I can get a radar detector for my car that will detect relatively low power microwave radar from a mile away.

Yet somehow these attacks are being carried out with pinpoint accuracy (implies close range) all over the world for 5 years and NOTHING has ever been detected. That's why it's SciFi level at this point.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

I can get a radar detector for my car that will detect relatively low power microwave radar from a mile away.

Yet somehow these attacks are being carried out with pinpoint accuracy (implies close range) all over the world for 5 years and NOTHING has ever been detected. That's why it's SciFi level at this point.
Its almost like you didnt read the thread ;)

Reactions: Pohemi

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010

The microwave band is tens of gigahertz wide. Your car’s radar is operating over a narrow band within that spectrum and will not detect energy outside that band, kind of a moot comparison. There really isn’t anything sci-fi about directed RF and it wouldn’t even take that much power … and we know it causes these symptoms. I worked on military radar for almost a decade, directed RF is not that hard. And why exactly do you think it would be detected? Do you think random diplomats are carrying around tens of thousands of dollars worth of RF equipment let alone know how to operate it? And do you think it wouldn’t be classified top secret if they did?

Reactions: Pohemi and pcgeek11

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
The microwave band is tens of gigahertz wide. Your car’s radar is operating over a narrow band within that spectrum and will not detect energy outside that band, kind of a moot comparison. There really isn’t anything sci-fi about directed RF and it wouldn’t even take that much power … and we know it causes these symptoms. I worked on military radar for almost a decade, directed RF is not that hard. And why exactly do you think it would be detected? Do you think random diplomats are carrying around tens of thousands of dollars worth of RF equipment let alone know how to operate it? And do you think it wouldn’t be classified top secret if they did?
Need to start wearing these on their heads.
faraday_cage1.jpg

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
The irony is, I was being serious. I think the threat is real. If the purpose of these attacks was to impact our standing in other nations by disabling staff then unfortunately proper EM shielded headgear (like a helmet?) might be required. Might even need a pilots visor.

That might hopefully put this whole thing to bed. Unfortunately our diplomats will appear to be absurd in public.

(unless they could wear something like this:)

View attachment 50523

Could incorporate excellent Covid protection at the same time. And a lot more badass than a tinfoil hat or a cloth mask.

Reactions: FelixDeCat

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006

I think it strains credulity that there is a secret weapon used to attack US diplomats/agents around the world, and after 5 years there is no real evidence, of anything at all yet, counter intelligence has found anything, there is still not even consensus what is happening at all.

So a unique unknown weapon, unknown mechanism, that has been perfectly concealed yet widely deployed.

Something should have leaked or been found by now, so I lean to stress and hysteria.

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi and repoman0

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Need to start wearing these on their heads.
faraday_cage1.jpg
I worked in one of those (on a larger scale) when I worked for Motorola on their (tens pounds in a one pound box) HandiTalkie radios as a final test technician (First job out of tech school).

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Whoever is behind this is one step away from nuking one of our top political figures. In this last attack they could have just hit the new CIA director

Seems strategic

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
President / Congress need to get off their !@# and start the military development of both microwave weapons and the means to detect and counter them.

To even be aware of their use is of critical importance in securing our people from this threat. Certainly we can develop and deploy a piece of equipment that can be sensitive to the attack and set off an alarm for us to respond.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
If these types of attacks become commonplace and start targeting political figures, will any non-insane people even run for office?

Feb 4, 2009
If these types of attacks become commonplace and start targeting political figures, will any non-insane people even run for office?

This is my fear. I can safely say if any Republican Gov or Congress person were attacked with the possible exception of the utterly deplorable (Ms Green, Tuber type) Democrats would act
If the same attacks were targeting Democrats I don’t see the same support on the Republican side of the isle.
I know there would be enough Rs aboard to do something but it certainly wouldn’t be an overwhelming majority.

Reactions: Pohemi

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This is my fear. I can safely say if any Republican Gov or Congress person were attacked with the possible exception of the utterly deplorable (Ms Green, Tuber type) Democrats would act
If the same attacks were targeting Democrats I don’t see the same support on the Republican side of the isle.
I know there would be enough Rs aboard to do something but it certainly wouldn’t be an overwhelming majority.
For sure if Trump were still in office and the attacks were against Dems he would look the other way.

Remember what they did with Covid testing

Reactions: Lezunto

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
The United States is beginning to lose the war in covert ops.

Havana Syndrome Attacks Widen With CIA Officer’s Evacuation From Serbia
American operations overseas are slowly being neutralized with this weapon.

Apparently Vienna has the second largest number of attacks outside Havana, but they are spreading worldwide. I highly suspect China as they are trying to become the worlds biggest superpower and removing American influence, besides Russia.

I still say head gear and maybe even non verbal (text only) communication will be the solution. That, or go 100% virtual while remaining in America.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
This is one of those cases where I feel like our intelligence knows more about what is going on than they care to admit. It leads me to believe that China is involved. Especially because we don't much push back against them anymore about anything.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Well it stands to reason its a geopolitical adversary.
Russia or China I guess.