Invasion repelled.

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I wonder when we will see Trump awarding battle ribbons and medals to our troops who faced down the invading hoards on the southern border.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Right, because the police are always asking for civilians to lead raids. Wow. just wow.

Cartel lieutenants walk up to the police, and ask them. "What do you want? Silver, or lead?"

Translation: take the bribe, or take the bullet.

What choice do you think the cops still breathing take? So what do you think that plain regular citizens can do?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
I saw the caravaners that were only wanting 'peaceful asylum' are now breaking the law to get in, big surprise there, They were just using the 'asylum' card as a ploy, they don't want to get asylum, they want to break laws. They are in a place now in Mexico where they have already left behind what they were supposedly escaping, unless the cartels moved with the caravan. lol
When I go the Social security department for business, it takes sometimes weeks to be processed, I wait patiently and legally, I don't jump over the counter to force them to process me faster. Government agencies don't work at the pace set by the people asking for help for citizens, why would these migrants think it would work differently for them?
Well, they are welcome to break laws to get into our jails and be processed for deportation instead of asylum i suppose.

Reactions: SlowSpyder

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I saw the caravaners that were only wanting 'peaceful asylum' are now breaking the law to get in, big surprise there, They were just using the 'asylum' card as a ploy, they don't want to get asylum, they want to break laws. They are in a place now in Mexico where they have already left behind what they were supposedly escaping, unless the cartels moved with the caravan. lol
When I go the Social security department for business, it takes sometimes weeks to be processed, I wait patiently and legally, I don't jump over the counter to force them to process me faster. Government agencies don't work at the pace set by the people asking for help for citizens, why would these migrants think it would work differently for them?
Well, they are welcome to break laws to get into our jails and be processed for deportation instead of asylum i suppose.

You forgot the word "some". Or maybe "many".

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Right...thousands. :)

My quibble is your post suggests "all". Some have taken refuge in Mexico, some have applied for asylum, some just straight dont give a fuck and use any means necessary to get across. The issue is theres no good data on numbers. So, of course, in pure partisan manner, those on the far right think its the majority jumping across, those on the far left think only a straggling few. I think the truth lies in the middle.

Reactions: pcgeek11

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
My quibble is your post suggests "all". Some have taken refuge in Mexico, some have applied for asylum, some just straight dont give a fuck and use any means necessary to get across. The issue is theres no good data on numbers. So, of course, in pure partisan manner, those on the far right think its the majority jumping across, those on the far left think only a straggling few. I think the truth lies in the middle.
One is too many.

Reactions: SlowSpyder

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Oh, please. The right ravers will play up any border jumpers as a fucking invasion. Check the thread title.

What we really have is a humanitarian crisis with Trump making it worse while stirring up the ugliest sentiments in this Country. Witness the poster you quoted.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Oh, please. The right ravers will play up any border jumpers as a fucking invasion. Check the thread title.

What we really have is a humanitarian crisis with Trump making it worse while stirring up the ugliest sentiments in this Country. Witness the poster you quoted.
Oh please? Gimme a fucking break.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Oh please? Gimme a fucking break.

Are you taking issue with what I said, or just the way I said it?

When a few thousand desperate & determined people walk a couple of thousand miles carrying their kids with them to throw themselves at the mercy of the greatest nation on Earth there has to be a better answer than the giant fuck you! they're getting from Trump.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

This is an attempted invasion. Hundreds of people rushing the border, throwing rocks. This is not a humanitarian crisis. This is a self-created situation, they can walk their asses back home (hint: south, not north). They're in such need of asylum they were able to move hundreds of miles in broad daylight without an issue...

Reactions: Johnny Ringo

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

You also said these individuals could go home and fix their countries because your wife is in local government in your hometown. If you think things like that it’s hard to think you have a grasp on the situation.

Regardless, if you are worried about people breaking the law let’s not forget that this situation was in large part created by the Trump administration attempting to break the law by forcing asylum seekers to enter only at ports of entry like this. That’s undeniably illegal. If you just care about the law why aren’t you going all out attacking Trump?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Oh the irony. North America is filled with European immigrants who came here uninvited, as refugees by the ship loads. They proudly flew Irish, Italian, French, German and other flags.

They showed up at Ellis Island "illegally" with no visa by the tens of millions. And we housed and fed them as we processed their refugee status. Most never learned English fluently. It was only the second generation that was fluent in English.

And here you are. Complaining about others doing EXACT SAME FUCKING thing most of our, YOUR, ancestors did. Even calling it an "invasion." Yeah, that's right. Tens of millions of uninvited Europeans showing up by the shiploads of five thousand or more at a time wasn't an "invasion" yet a few thousand central Americans is.

And the right-wing white nationalist media has shown them flying the flags of their home countries as if that is somehow "evil" or bad.

To this day, the descendants of the European migrations fly Italian, French, German and other flags. They still eat their native foods and celebrate their native culture.

That's irony right there.

Tell me, what's the difference now? Is it because they're brown?

I think we all know what the problem really is here. We wouldn't be having this discussion if this were a shipload of Norwegians.

The hilarious part is this style of racist fear mongering is nothing new:

And this is from a time when the Irish were considered "non-white."

photo_slideshow_max.jpg
The one tiny difference being that back then the entire planet was third world. People left filthy, rat infested shit holes, came to the US, and built brand new filthy rat infested shit holes. The whole world sucked, but some places didn't suck quite as much as others.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
The one tiny difference being that back then the entire planet was third world. People left filthy, rat infested shit holes, came to the US, and built brand new filthy rat infested shit holes. The whole world sucked, but some places didn't suck quite as much as others.

So... nothing's changed. People are still leaving bad situations for better ones.

What HAS changed is the color of the migrant's skin. What else has changed is how we treat them.

That's the ONLY changes.

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
So... nothing's changed. People are still leaving bad situations for better ones.

What HAS changed is the color of the migrant's skin. What else has changed is how we treat them.

That's the ONLY changes.
The Irish and European immigrants didn't swim across a river to illegally enter the US, that's the MAJOR difference. Legal immigration does not depend on skin color, you are being very racist.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
The Irish and European immigrants didn't swim across a river to illegally enter the US, that's the MAJOR difference. Legal immigration does not depend on skin color, you are being very racist.
Many came over on boats without much papers. We let them in.
One of the biggest regrets of the US government was turning away 900 Jews on a boat who were fleeing Nazi Germany (including Ann Frank's family). When the war ended, we swore as a country to never let that happen again and directly passed legislation in response to this failure. Its amazing how people forget history even when that history exists in the form of legislation still active today.

Theres no difference between crossing an ocean on a boat vs walking hundreds of miles and crossing rivers on foot.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Yeh, why can't we have Norwegians?

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
This is an attempted invasion. Hundreds of people rushing the border, throwing rocks. This is not a humanitarian crisis. This is a self-created situation, they can walk their asses back home (hint: south, not north). They're in such need of asylum they were able to move hundreds of miles in broad daylight without an issue...

How many tanks did you see? Did they have air support?

Did it look like this?

1544043115414.jpeg

Perhaps... In your mind but nowhere in the real world.

Last edited:
Reactions: Victorian Gray

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Oh how ignorant you are.

Fact: The vast majority of Irish, Italian and other European Immigrants showed up "illegally" (No visa, no prior permission, no invitation) on various ship types at New York and were sent to Ellis Island to have their refugee status processed.

There literally is no difference. None whatsoever. To do back then what we are doing today would be to send ships out and try to stop the various freight and passenger ships by force from coming into the ports.

They were taking advantage of a US law that still exists today:

8 U.S. Code § 1158 - Asylum

Any alien who is physically present in the United States or who arrives in the United States (whether or not at a designated port of arrival and including an alien who is brought to the United States after having been interdicted in international or United States waters), irrespective of such alien’s status, may apply for asylum.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1158

Next time you want to be contrarian, actually have facts on your side.

47185478_10216822497090338_1161101372901294080_n.jpg

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
Taking a ship to Ellis Island to become a legal citizen is vastly different from crossing illegally, hiding out in the US and using false SS numbers to steal from citizens here legally. But ok, you go ahead, why don't you ask the government to let you house a couple dozen as they wait to be processed? I bet you won't.

Mar 11, 2004
Oh how ignorant you are.

Fact: The vast majority of Irish, Italian and other European Immigrants showed up "illegally" (No visa, no prior permission, no invitation) on various ship types at New York and were sent to Ellis Island to have their refugee status processed.

There literally is no difference. None whatsoever. To do back then what we are doing today would be to send ships out and try to stop the various freight and passenger ships by force from coming into the ports.

They were taking advantage of a US law that still exists today:

8 U.S. Code § 1158 - Asylum

Any alien who is physically present in the United States or who arrives in the United States (whether or not at a designated port of arrival and including an alien who is brought to the United States after having been interdicted in international or United States waters), irrespective of such alien’s status, may apply for asylum.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1158

Next time you want to be contrarian, actually have facts on your side.

47185478_10216822497090338_1161101372901294080_n.jpg

Oh he's just playing the glenn role of trying to couch his bigotry in other ways so as to make it seem less like bigotry that it is. He knows full well that his arguments are completely full of shit and he doesn't care. He just tries to claim they are to dupe fucking idiots like slowspyder into thinking he knows what the's talking about.

FYI, I guarantee that all of the assholes shrieking about the legality of immigration (which is just them trying to couch their bigotry, they try to claim its about rule of law when they don't give a shit at all about that) would not have the privilege of living in this country if it weren't for illegal immigration by their forebears. I'm not even talking about the early settlers when this wasn't an established country. I'm talking about from the moment we established government, this country was built on illegal immigration. Its what made us great.