Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 647 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dufus

Sep 20, 2010
If the 8700k can "easily" cross 5GHz then I'll eat my hat. Perhaps on a 280mm radiator and a good binning.

From what I've seen so far, which isn't a huge amount, the 8700k seems to be very much the same as a 7700k but with two extra cores so probably going to overclock similar to that. Even though it has two extra cores the power density isn't going to increase so much as the package area becomes larger. Meaning CPU thermals shouldn't be much more of a problem than that of the 7700k.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
But I would like opinions on which Skylake-X CPU (or more than one) I should try and personally review. Now, not to go nuts, one or two guys, I am not a millionaire.
If they fit the bill, you should go for 8 core and 16 core. This way you can directly compare with the Ryzen and TR builds you already own, and also have 2 distanced points on the SKL-X product spectrum.

If you don't feel like buying both, just pick one of them. See if you like the build, then decide if you want the second.

The Stilt

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2015
Has there been any official release / availability date stated for the HCC 7960X and 7980X models?
Looking to upgrade my 18C Haswell-EP to either one.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Has there been any official release / availability date stated for the HCC 7960X and 7980X models?
In theory, as you probably already know, they're launching on Monday. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
Wow, just a thought. I always have bought a new CPU just to test it for myself. I did Ryzen and was sold. Maybe I need to try Skylake-X and give an honest opinion. So far I have been upset with the reviews I have read on its heat and power usage.

But not sure I want to spend $2000 on a 7980XE (If I got that right). But I will think about it.
And so it begins.... I'm sure you'll find a reason to spend that $2,000. It's the first acknowledgement from you, albeit subtly, that the 7980XE is worth consideration. ;)

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010

There are supposed to be released on Monday, but funnily, except the Korean leaks there is very little talk about them - i mean, before the 7900x came out, DerBauer has been delidding it like there is no tommorow 2 weeks in advance, talking about its supposed OC capability etc... there was quite a lot of hype days before Threadripper release day too. Now, 7920x flew completely under the radar and so far it looks there is not much interest in the other 3 chips as well.

However, 7980xe, being the monster, will surely get into limelight.

BTW, do you have these CPU listed in your prefered stores? 2 days before release and over here in Europe, nothing. No info on availability, or possibility to preorder, simply no mention of them. They were at some point, about 3 weeks ago, even with prices (1350 EUROs for 7940x, about 1700 for 7960x...), but they were removed from the store and did not come back since then.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
And so it begins.... I'm sure you'll find a reason to spend that $2,000. It's the first acknowledgement from you, albeit subtly, that the 7980XE is worth consideration. ;)
What a strange interpretation. Did you really read the same exchange between VirtualLarry & Markfw as I did?

Reactions: IEC

The Stilt

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2015
There are supposed to be released on Monday, but funnily, except the Korean leaks there is very little talk about them - i mean, before the 7900x came out, DerBauer has been delidding it like there is no tommorow 2 weeks in advance, talking about its supposed OC capability etc... there was quite a lot of hype days before Threadripper release day too. Now, 7920x flew completely under the radar and so far it looks there is not much interest in the other 3 chips as well.

However, 7980xe, being the monster, will surely get into limelight.

BTW, do you have these CPU listed in your prefered stores? 2 days before release and over here in Europe, nothing. No info on availability, or possibility to preorder, simply no mention of them. They were at some point, about 3 weeks ago, even with prices (1350 EUROs for 7940x, about 1700 for 7960x...), but they were removed from the store and did not come back since then.

None of the resellers or distributors even have a place-holder for these parts.
Part of the reason I was asking.

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
What a strange interpretation. Did you really read the same exchange between VirtualLarry & Markfw as I did?
Yes; and countless other remarks from Markfw in the recent past to deem that post as an almost about-face on the "value" stance.

Edit: "Value" = performace/price.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikk

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Yes; and countless other remarks from Markfw in the recent past to deem that post as an almost about-face on the "value" stance.

Edit: "Value" = performace/price.
Well, no. the 1950X already beats the equally priced 7900X in most everything, and it harder to cool. I just want to be able to OWN a Skylake-X, so I don't just take it from reviews, but from personal knowledge.

Reactions: Drazick

coffeeblues

Jun 23, 2017
Last edited:

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012

Intel refuses to share die size. thats funny. charlie said the same thing more than a month ago.

https://semiaccurate.com/2017/08/10/cannon-lake-going-impact-intels-margins/

What are they trying to hide - Is it the increase in die size due to the increase in Contacted poly pitch to 84nm at 14++ from 70nm at 14 / 14+. Anyway hopefully we will see a delid and die shot on Monday from somebody. Apple being a vertically integrated company shares more info about Apple Ax chips including transistor count and die sizes than Intel. This is ridiculous.

Mar 10, 2006
Intel refuses to share die size. thats funny. charlie said the same thing more than a month ago.

https://semiaccurate.com/2017/08/10/cannon-lake-going-impact-intels-margins/

What are they trying to hide - Is it the increase in die size due to the increase in Contacted poly pitch to 84nm at 14++ from 70nm at 14 / 14+. Anyway hopefully we will see a delid and die shot on Monday from somebody. Apple being a vertically integrated company shares more info about Apple Ax chips including transistor count and die sizes than Intel. This is ridiculous.

Apple didn’t share the die size of the A11 Bionic, that was determined by TechInsghts.

Also, the move to 84nm CPP had only a minimal impact on die size; quad core die measures in at 126mm^2.

That’s about a 3% impact, and that’s only if you assume there are no die changes from KBL 4+2 to CFL 4+2.

Dayman1225

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2017
Die size is 149mm^2, BenchLife leaked this ages ago.
cfl-h.jpg

Indeed

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012

Nothing new. Intel doesn't share die size numbers since Skylake in 2015 and no exact Turbo numbers since Kabylake. Under confidential they are available for partners and sometimes we get these infos leaked from non-official sources. There is nothing new in this news actually.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
Die size is 149mm^2, BenchLife leaked this ages ago.

So why then this secrecy from Intel. Anyway if not die size what about transistor count.

Apple didn’t share the die size of the A11 Bionic, that was determined by TechInsghts.

Also, the move to 84nm CPP had only a minimal impact on die size; quad core die measures in at 126mm^2.

That’s about a 3% impact, and that’s only if you assume there are no die changes frovm KBL 4+2 to CFL 4+2.

Apple atleast shares transistor counts on Apple Ax series. So with die size information from Techinsights we can calculate transistors / sq mm . Intel keeps boasting in powerpoint presentations about their so called superior transistor density and then refuses to reveal actual transistor count on their latest chips, both the high end Core and low end Atom based. What a joke. This clearly shows Intel is not confident about actual real world density comparisons of Intel 14nm Core products against 14nm AMD Zen or 14nm Atom based products against 10nm Apple A11. As for so called die sizes you quote for Coffeelake they have to be verified with actual delidded CPU die shots since Intel officially does not disclose them.

Last edited: