Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 642 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 11, 2008
Oh, would you look at that :D

Ain't google a great thing, exposes so many bold faced lies & then some :rolleyes:

I'm not blaming frozen here but some, actually many of the excuses, from the other side, are entertaining to say the least !
Wow, can't believe you have nothing better to do than dig up old quotes from forum posters. In any case not sure what that quote has to do with coffee lake or why you are taking pot shots at me. Seems like I was correct on both counts anyway.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
@VirtualLarry , I don't know about trouble, but the 1300X will have to be overclocked to beat the identically(?) priced i3-8100, so at stock it might not look too good for Ryzen. That's my take anyway, what's yours?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
@VirtualLarry , I don't know about trouble, but the 1300X will have to be overclocked to beat the identically(?) priced i3-8100, so at stock it might not look too good for Ryzen. That's my take anyway, what's yours?
I was more thinking in terms of a price/performance comparison with the Ryzen 3 1200, as I mentioned a comparison in my thread. It's currently $109.99, almost certain to get a price cut soon to $99.99, which generally means a street price under $90. (Currently, there have been deals on ebay for $102-103.)

It overclocks with stock cooler on a B350 or X370 motherboard, to 3.80Ghz easily, and sometimes, to 3.90Ghz or higher. But 3.8 should be close to a lock.

At that speed, I'm just guessing, but I think that it would compete favorably with a Kaby Lake i5-7400 or i5-7500, but possibly not for 1080P gaming. Productivity, yes. (Whether one should overclock an office machine is an entire other argument entirely, and I'm not suggesting that someone do that. But just for performance benchmarks' sake, let's OC the 1200 to 3.80Ghz.)

And $197 for the i3-8350K? Are they kidding? The Ryzen 5 1600 is only $215, and it adds two more real cores, and SMT. As far as I understand thus far, the i3-8350K doesn't have HT enabled. That said, I have no doubts that the i3-8350K will be able to OCed to at least 4.70Ghz, and probably a good number of them, higher (4.9Ghz or 5.0Ghz). So, in that sense, it would probably be stronger than the R5 1600 in 1080P gaming due to higher ST speeds, at least for games other than BF1 MP and WD2... those games will choke on only a 4C/4T CPU regardless.

Reactions: Drazick

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Wow, can't believe you have nothing better to do than dig up old quotes from forum posters. In any case not sure what that quote has to do with coffee lake or why you are taking pot shots at me. Seems like I was correct on both counts anyway.

But it can be fun! :tonguewink:
Check this one out...

Indeed the Polaris 11 has to be close to Fury non X, if not better, along with Polaris 10 being closer to the 380x. The GCN4 uarch improvements, 14nm FinFet & HBM2 or 20nm GDDR5(x?) respectively will give them some neat boost, notwithstanding the DX12 gains.

Last edited:

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
See the context, that's why I said I'm not taking aim at you.
But it can be fun! :tonguewink:
Check this one out...
You really can't help yourself can you? That was before it was clear whether Polaris 11 was the big Polaris, or not. But keep on hoisting that blue checkered flag, it suits you o_O

Intel Wins Appeal on EU Antitrust Fine
No, because I was waiting for Cannon Lake with 8 cores - till Intel's 10nm process exploded. I believe that some ppl speculated that there might be a hexacore on 14nm. Companies with large R&D resources often implement backup plans, we just don't normally know what they are - this time we do (in Intel's case).
That's because every competent business & businessman makes sure that they have a backup plan, or two. If you don't then really you ought not to be in the business of managing things, any number of them at the top.
Regardless of what happened,

Intel always screws up royally during the time when AMD does a comeback of a decade. Same seems to be somewhat true with AMD. This time I'm not sure if they'll fully recover. Process issues are way, way bigger than Netburst.
You could argue that the only/main thing keeping Intel at the pole position is their process lead. It's still a thing at 14nm & should be for the next year or two, till the time we hit a wall wrt node shrink Intel should continue to be in the dominant position with their IPC lead, unless they redo a netburst.

Last edited:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
That's just a load of bitter hogwash, imo. It doesn't help the discussion and makes you seem biased.

That's exactly right and I should be biased considering how Intel has skimped, segregated, over charged, delayed and stagnated over the years. Its very frustrating as an enthusiast. We had a feeling Intel could have offered so much more but figured maybe they had a good reason not to. As soon as Ryzen dropped, we learned there was no reason because suddenly here come the 6/12, 8/16, and yes I almost forgot, 18/36 core cpus!!!!! This is very much a slap in the face to have Intel suddenly drop these chips on us only now when they have absolutely no choice. Intel must now, finally, give us more for our money or perish. That's what they let it come down to.
So yes, I don't like Intel just like I don't like Nvidia, but I buy both of their products anyway. Realize I am the guy who returned an 1800X for a 6800K and am very happy with my Intel chip. So I still buy what suits me best, but that doesn't change the way I feel. So, if I seem biased, realize that I didn't invent my own opinions. My feelings are not self generated. They are reactions and are completely involuntary as they are responses to what Intel has done over the years as well as recently.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That's exactly right and I should be biased considering how Intel has skimped, segregated, over charged, delayed and stagnated over the years. Its very frustrating as an enthusiast. We had a feeling Intel could have offered so much more but figured maybe they had a good reason not to. As soon as Ryzen dropped, we learned there was no reason because suddenly here come the 6/12, 8/16, and yes I almost forgot, 18/36 core cpus!!!!! This is very much a slap in the face to have Intel suddenly drop these chips on us only now when they have absolutely no choice. Intel must now, finally, give us more for our money or perish. That's what they let it come down to.
So yes, I don't like Intel just like I don't like Nvidia, but I buy both of their products anyway. Realize I am the guy who returned an 1800X for a 6800K and am very happy with my Intel chip. So I still buy what suits me best, but that doesn't change the way I feel. So, if I seem biased, realize that I didn't invent my own opinions. My feelings are not self generated. They are reactions and are completely involuntary as they are responses to what Intel has done over the years as well as recently.
A million likes, my friend, a million likes...

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hmm, pretty nice, sounds like 14nm++ is shaping up really great. Were those de-lidded or not? That might be an obstacle for some people.

Reactions: Drazick

TheLycan

Mar 8, 2017
Regardless of what happened,

Intel always screws up royally during the time when AMD does a comeback of a decade. Same seems to be somewhat true with AMD. This time I'm not sure if they'll fully recover. Process issues are way, way bigger than Netburst.
Oh they will recover. You know why? Because they will lend the r&d tranzistor cost to Samsung. At the moment with their in house 14 nm they are behind intel, but Samsung has far more income per tranzistor developement due to mobile, so AMD Samsung will be more than an even match for intel.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Well, I think you only hurt yourself by attaching such importance in your life to a corporation. That goes for thinking a corporation is "good" as well. I have never understood this line of thinking about corporations, or the attachment of such importance to them.

There's not much sign of Intel giving us more for our money, though. With a price of ~$400 and a need to buy a new board, and probably new 2666 DDR4 ram, we will be spending a lot more to go to 6C/12T with Intel.

IMO, overall there's really not much sign of Intel reacting to AMD's new cpus. If Intel were actually reacting to AMD, we would see lower prices, and we don't.

At least not yet.

When Intel lowers prices, then we will know that AMD is having an effect that Intel has noticed. Namely, the corporate bottom line: money coming in.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Well, I think you only hurt yourself by attaching such importance in your life to a corporation. That goes for thinking a corporation is "good" as well. I have never understood this line of thinking about corporations, or the attachment of such importance to them.

There's not much sign of Intel giving us more for our money, though. With a price of ~$400 and a need to buy a new board, and probably new 2666 DDR4 ram, we will be spending a lot more to go to 6C/12T with Intel.

IMO, overall there's really not much sign of Intel reacting to AMD's new cpus. If Intel were actually reacting to AMD, we would see lower prices, and we don't.

At least not yet.

When Intel lowers prices, then we will know that AMD is having an effect that Intel has noticed. Namely, the corporate bottom line: money coming in.
Intel has reacted a little. Bumped schedules. Dipped into their chest of pricey HCC dies for the 14,16 and 18 core X299 chips. But, other than that Intel is just being Intel. They are mostly waiting to see if there's enough impact on their bottom line to bother with trying harder on price. I wouldn't expect that to happen for at least another year. And if they do respond to price at some point, it won't be on the enthusiast side first.

Dayman1225

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2017
That PCB looks a lot like LGA 3647 possibly Xeon Gold, not X299(LGA 2066), I could be wrong though.

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
ayy lmao :sweatsmile:

Search for an image of LGA 3647, and the contacts are separated into two regions, not the case of this Core i3 X.

Reactions: Dayman1225