Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 641 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

elhefegaming

Aug 23, 2017
Better work that memory muscle...
Core_i7-6700K_preorder_price.jpg

source
interesting, didn't remember that one

hopefully it will not even start like that (those prices went crazy for production issues I think) and if it did maybe it'll drop soon after release then

Last edited:

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
I don't remember a pre-order of 400$ for any I7k really so it would still be an increase.

The 339 price is not Intel's price list, is what I paid for I7k in the past and what the 7700k costs right now actually.

No idea why you have to come up and call something stupid just because you didn't understand what I meant.

Nonsense. I've paid 399€ for my i7-7700k just two weeks before launch and this CPU was in stock already in some shops. That was the cheapest price in Germany at that time. You are clueless.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I don't know if or how Intel anticipates demand in the client computing segment, but I'd say that is what dictates any roadmap, including OEM feedback et al.

You cannot possibly discount the competition when you're planning for future products or laying roadmaps, having dealt with businesses personally (on a much smaller scale) I'd say inventory is something that you always have to keep in mind.

No, Intel can't discount the competition. But given development times (for the millionth time), hexacore coffee lake was planned around the time Zen was being planned (ie, b/4 Intel had any insider info). Whether there is an 8 core variant is just a guess right now (given the source). Ice Lake, and more importantly, Tiger Lake, were being developed with some knowledge of what AMD was developing - so those will be a more interesting markers (though Intel also had it's own design targets in mind). Given the 3-5 year development window (ticks vs tocks and whatnot), Intel was planning on increasing core counts prior to Zen.

Reactions: pcp7 and osgorth

elhefegaming

Aug 23, 2017
Nonsense. I've paid 399€ for my i7-7700k just two weeks before launch and this CPU was in stock already in some shops. That was the cheapest price in Germany at that time. You are clueless.

My bad, I was talking about US prices at online stores.

I've not been that involved with 6xxx and 7xxx so looks like I was wrong.

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
No, Intel can't discount the competition. But given development times (for the millionth time), hexacore coffee lake was planned around the time Zen was being planned (ie, b/4 Intel had any insider info). Whether there is an 8 core variant is just a guess right now (given the source). Ice Lake, and more importantly, Tiger Lake, were being developed with some knowledge of what AMD was developing - so those will be a more interesting markers (though Intel also had it's own design targets in mind). Given the 3-5 year development window (ticks vs tocks and whatnot), Intel was planning on increasing core counts prior to Zen.
No one's denying that but whether the backporting to 14nm++ or whatever is a direct result of the competition, partly due to 10nm delays, is the bone of contention.

Intel releasing 8 cores was as inevitable as AMD going Zen, well almost, but can you honestly say that you expected a 6 core CFL inside a year of KBL launch, let alone the 8c?

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
No one's denying that but whether the backporting to 14nm++ or whatever is a direct result of the competition, partly due to 10nm delays, is the bone of contention.

Intel releasing 8 cores was as inevitable as AMD going Zen, well almost, but can you honestly say that you expected a 6 core CFL inside a year of KBL launch, let alone the 8c?

No, because I was waiting for Cannon Lake with 8 cores - till Intel's 10nm process exploded. I believe that some ppl speculated that there might be a hexacore on 14nm. Companies with large R&D resources often implement backup plans, we just don't normally know what they are - this time we do (in Intel's case).

Reactions: pcp7

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Are you contributing to this Intel thread with new information, new insight, or asking genuine questions? Or are you trolling?

Intel has had 8 cores on 14 nm for quite a while (6900K, 7820X, and the workstation/server versions such as the 2667v4 and several similar chips). So, whomever said it was impossible was flat out wrong (please provide links, or we will assume that person was you). And if Intel does release 8 cores for mainstream later, that isn't "all of a sudden".

I speak the truth about how I feel regarding Intel's intentional stagnation of the entire PC and gaming industry. I participate in the thread and discuss my reactions to what Intel is doing. I'm not responsible for making sure you like what I say. I'm not green and I don't live under a bridge either.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I speak the truth about how I feel regarding Intel's intentional stagnation of the entire PC and gaming industry. I participate in the thread and discuss my reactions to what Intel is doing. I'm not responsible for making sure you like what I say. I'm not green and I don't live under a bridge either.
That's just a load of bitter hogwash, imo. It doesn't help the discussion and makes you seem biased.

Reactions: frozentundra123456

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
Oh I totally agree. It was never my analysis. It was an excuse people gave for why Intel didn't get off its quad core ass way earlier. But then, all of a sudden, out of the clear blue 14nm sky, AMD drops a bunch of 8/16 chips on our heads. Now Intel gives us 6/12 and 8/16 on mainstream. That's cute.
You forgot 18/36 ;-)

Reactions: moonbogg

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003

Regardless of what happened,

Intel always screws up royally during the time when AMD does a comeback of a decade. Same seems to be somewhat true with AMD. This time I'm not sure if they'll fully recover. Process issues are way, way bigger than Netburst.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Use whatever definitions you want; it doesn't matter Two ticks or a tick and a refresh. My point is the same: the tick-tock concept almost never actually occurred. Is was just a short blip in processor history.

Considering Tick-Tock is an Intel definition, your case is a strange one indeed.

Conroe/Merom
Penryn
Nehalem
Westmere
Sandy Bridge
Ivy Bridge
Haswell
Broadwell

8 years isn't "never occuring".

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
6700k and 5775c cost that much due to shortages for a loooooong time.

I looked up what I paid for my 6700K shortly after launch. I paid $374.99 and that was a good deal at the time.

coffeeblues

Jun 23, 2017

I'll just note that extremetech via videocardz are a month old snapshot images, the source is live:
http://www.pc-canada.com/p/go/go.as...&SS_Manufacturer=INTEL&ATTID=111116919,138128

And then forbes and anandtech take euro prices and estimate that the us prices will be higher than canadian.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
And then forbes and anandtech take euro prices and estimate that the us prices will be higher than canadian.

Websites are too conservative. I know they choose to be, because they don't want to put up an article that might end up being wrong and have a hit to their reputation.

Individuals, and really small organizations don't care about being wrong once in a while.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Considering Tick-Tock is an Intel definition, your case is a strange one indeed.

Conroe/Merom
Penryn
Nehalem
Westmere
Sandy Bridge
Ivy Bridge
Haswell
Broadwell

8 years isn't "never occuring".
Remember, I'm responding to this:
What a mess...unpredictable confusing mess with different overlapping architectures/chipsets/nodes/etc.

That is only 3 fabrication process shrinks (65 nm to 45 nm, 45 nm to 32 nm, and 32 nm to 22 nm) unless you ignore Haswell refresh. That is out of what, 17 process shrinks. And it is only true if you ignore other chips.

Yes, Tick-Tock has happened, but not that often in the history of processors. Intel was fine before tick-tock, will be fine after tick-tock, and AMD has done fine without tick-tock. It just isn't necessary. It wasn't an unpredictable confusing mess before and it won't be now.

Buy a motherboard compatible with your processor. End of story. That wasn't that messy.

Last edited:
Reactions: pcp7

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Tick-Tock did serve to give the the impression that Intel was turning out new and improved products like, ahem, clockwork. This aided buyer's perceptions of them, but ultimately raised expectations that eventually couldn't be met. As said, they are fine without that artificial cadence.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
There is so much information and "fake news" leaking out at the moment that it is honestly difficult to know what is actually coming out in the next year.

At this stage my primary focus is on the 8700k so I'm hoping we get some official news on this very shortly.

coffeeblues

Jun 23, 2017
Websites are too conservative. I know they choose to be, because they don't want to put up an article that might end up being wrong and have a hit to their reputation.

Individuals, and really small organizations don't care about being wrong once in a while.

Sugar-coating oversights of not so small organizations doesn't help anybody.

elhefegaming

Aug 23, 2017
There is so much information and "fake news" leaking out at the moment that it is honestly difficult to know what is actually coming out in the next year.

At this stage my primary focus is on the 8700k so I'm hoping we get some official news on this very shortly.
I agree
I was decided to go for the Z370 but if it's not going to be compatible with the 8c being released (in theory) 2018 then I rather wait to see what they release on oct 5th and what they say the future looks like