Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 621 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I am assuming Celsius. If the water temp was 20F would it be flowing through the radiators?
The water may not be H2O ? Anyway, let wait and see a real review before we get too excited please.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Well we don't know that with any amount of certainty, having said that we've seen 4790k, 5775c, 6700k et al being OCed to 5GHz & beyond on air or water & this is just the same PR BS that we get to see before launch.

Anyone thinking that the average 7980xe would do anything beyond 4GHz, all core, without turning into a furnace & eating a gob tonne is power is just lying to themselves!
THANK YOU FOR A LOOK INTO REALITY !!!!!

Reactions: FIVR

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I don't think he has posted any pics showing his Rad setup. He says water temp is "20+".. "Air conditioner (Room temperature control) + Large Radi (keep low water temperature continuously) Cooling effect"
I tend to think there must be something extraordinary about the heat exchanger, and its absence in the photos makes me very curious.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
Well we don't know that with any amount of certainty, having said that we've seen 4790k, 5775c, 6700k et al being OCed to 5GHz & beyond on air or water & this is just the same PR BS that we get to see before launch.

Anyone thinking that the average 7980xe would do anything beyond 4GHz, all core, without turning into a furnace & eating a gob tonne of power is just lying to themselves!

I recall they were claiming the 6700k did 5.2Ghz on AIR

If the reality of these images is anything close to that sort of fabrication was, and it's probably worse, this thing won't do over 4.3Ghz without LN2. I would actually be amazed if it did that on water. Totally amazed. Flabbergasted even.

JasonLD

Aug 22, 2017
Shoot him a PM on here. Maybe he will get an email notification and respond.

Well, i don't think i can start conversation with him since my account is new here. I can read his posts in coolenjoy community since I can read korean and his info seems very legit and well detailed. Even he seems surprised by how well 7980xe overclocks. While it is possible that he might have a golden sample but it seems possible that delidded 7980XE will get some great results under water. I wouldn't just dismiss his results like it is some kind of fake news.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
If the voltage is really that insanely low, then power consumption could be reasonable. If that performance is real, then its an amazing chip. Expensive, but pretty incredible if true. People won't be delidding these though, no way. So not too sure about temps.

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
If the voltage is really that insanely low, then power consumption could be reasonable. If that performance is real, then its an amazing chip. Expensive, but pretty incredible if true. People won't be delidding these though, no way. So not too sure about temps.

Low voltage + much larger core, that also has "black slices" in place of memory controller and QPI slices. Intel has Xeon Gold 6154 that is 18C @3.7 all core on 205W (enterprise air cooling wattage). It does not take a rocket scientist with LN to clock it @4.5, with golden sample on water cooling.
Also there is question of load, Cinebench is not Linpack or Prime, I highly doubt it can run @4.5Ghz AVX frequency.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002

Anyone thinking that the average 7980xe would do anything beyond 4GHz, all core, without turning into a furnace & eating a gob tonne of power is just lying to themselves!

I have to agree. I find getting an 18 core CPU to 5GHz on just water to be highly dubious. This just goes so far beyond what we expect from this current architecture that something feels off.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
well my 7740k is smashing the 5ghz barrier... on my Auros G9 lol...

who says u need more cores to have fun? :D

to be honest i dont think im going to want more cores, unless it can break that 5ghz wall.

nvgpu

Sep 12, 2014
cRFYS6dr.png

October 5 for Coffee Lake?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I have to agree. I find getting an 18 core CPU to 5GHz on just water to be highly dubious. This just goes so far beyond what we expect from this current architecture that something feels off.
Okay, but why worry much about it? If he did it honestly, we should see others do it.
Until we see it duplicated, we don't need to worry about it.
If we don't see it duplicated then...

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
VC has some other box shots of boards. Some of the boxes have what appears to be "Requires 8th Gen Intel processors" while some others don't. So there is the possibility that some boards might work with Kaby Lake and others not.

MarkPost

Mar 1, 2017
we know the sustainable oc for 7800, 7820 and 7900. More cores, less OC (specially, due to heat). Anybody with an open mind can imagine oc for 12-14-16-18 parts

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I don't get worked up about performance, just information that skews reality. I don't think "binning" can accomplish what is being presented here.

I'm willing to give the leaker the benefit of the doubt, at least until some other body of evidence shows him to be wrong. Nobody has shown power numbers yet. If he has a leaky-as-hell ES (which would explain the low voltage) and a water setup using something like one or more MO-RA3s (or hell an old copper auto radiator) then yeah he could be dumping 400-500W of power from the chip while still keeping temps relatively low. It is possible.

What? Water is H2O. Are you really going to argue about that?

Versus chilled water, for example. If he's using a chiller then it's a whole 'nother ballgame.

Reactions: Timmah!