Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 620 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
So a processor that you can't even buy, and it has to be an ES, and we don't have a date for its release, and we don't know if it was on LN2, but it was delidded, and it will cost over $2000 if and when we can buy it, is getting everybody excited. Gee, why don't I get a $2000 processor that I can buy today (an EPYC) and run this without LN2 and see what it does..

The insane Intel BS and advertising and promo crap here is beyond belief ! Intel must be scared out of their minds to pull tricks and stunts like this.

Reactions: FIVR and ddogg
Mar 10, 2006
So a processor that you can't even buy, and it has to be an ES, and we don't have a date for its release, and we don't know if it was on LN2, but it was delidded, and it will cost over $2000 if and when we can buy it, is getting everybody excited. Gee, why don't I get a $2000 processor that I can buy today (an EPYC) and run this without LN2 and see what it does..

The insane Intel BS and advertising and promo crap here is beyond belief ! Intel must be scared out of their minds to pull tricks and stunts like this.

The release date is September 25. We know it was on water and not on LN2, and we have results for both delidded and non delidded.

Reactions: pcp7 and Sweepr
Mar 10, 2006
'Gaming' motherboards must look cool. Chalk up a win for the marketing department over engineering. AMD set a 180W TDP limit from the get go and scared the marketing folks enough that they left it to their engineering teams.

They can look cool and have a decent heat sink on the VRM.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
The release date is September 25. We know it was on water and not on LN2, and we have results for both delidded and non delidded.
And we know its not on LN2 how ? what website has run this ? nothing but pictures that can be photoshopped. I don't see any proof of anything, and that is considered trolling.

Reactions: FIVR
Mar 10, 2006
And we know its not on LN2 how ? what website has run this ? nothing but pictures that can be photoshopped. I don't see any proof of anything, and that is considered trolling.

Well it's clearly not official, but Intel and the motherboard makers do tend to put their new gear in the hands of overclockers ahead of time so that they can play with the stuff.

Leaks are also not uncommon especially since we're only a couple of weeks away from commercial availability.

Anyway, the official release and reviews should be here very soon. These leaks do seem encouraging though, though you are right, it's not official until we have repeatable results from reputable websites -- or users on forums who purchased the gear.

TahoeDust

Nov 29, 2011
Are you calling @7uly1 a liar? He is the one that has been posting these benchmarks and results to coolenjoy.net. He has been in the benchmarking game for a while. He even took the time to join the forum a few days ago to confirm it was done with water...

Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake / Coffee Lake Thread - Coffee Lake-S specs out (page 554)

Do you think he convinced 3dmark to photoshop his #1 ranked Firestrike Physics Score using his 7980xe?....
https://www.3dmark.com/hall-of-fame-2/fire+strike+physics+score/version+1.1

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Are you calling @7uly1 a liar? He is the one that has been posting these benchmarks and results to coolenjoy.net. He has been in the benchmarking game for a while. He even took the time to join the forum a few days ago to confirm it was done with water...

Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake / Coffee Lake Thread - Coffee Lake-S specs out (page 554)

Do you think he convinced 3dmark to photoshop his #1 ranked Firestrike Physics Score using his 7980xe?....
https://www.3dmark.com/hall-of-fame-2/fire+strike+physics+score/version+1.1
I am saying that based on Skylake-X results benchmarked and tested by Anandtech, a similar processor with 18 cores and base clock of of 2.6, it seems impossible to get all 18 cores to 4.8 ghz without being on LN2.

I could post all sorts of crap anywhere on the internet. I am saying based on known information, this appears to be impossible, and reeks of spamming.

Mar 10, 2006
I am saying that based on Skylake-X results benchmarked and tested by Anandtech, a similar processor with 18 cores and base clock of of 2.6, it seems impossible to get all 18 cores to 4.8 ghz without being on LN2.

It could be higher quality silicon (better binned) than the 7900X. Also, while 4.8GHz running AVX-512 workloads would probably be unrealistic, the benchmarks posted are RealBench and 3DMark, which I believe do not use the much more power hungry AVX-512 capability.

We will see though -- official reviews will tell the tale one way or another. I won't be buying one of these but I am excited to see how it fares in the real world.

Reactions: pcp7 and Ajay

TahoeDust

Nov 29, 2011

I could post all sorts of crap anywhere on the internet. I am saying based on known information, this appears to be impossible, and reeks of spamming.
So, to sum it up, you think that @7uly1 is a lieing about not using LN2 in an attempt at "spamming"?

I do not know him. I certainly can not vouch for his results. It just seems like a lot of steady info to lie about...delidding pictures, Realbench results, Cinebench results, bios pics, realtemp screens, etc...

Reactions: CHADBOGA and chile

Markfw

May 16, 2002
So, to sum it up, you think that @7uly1 is a lieing about not using LN2 in an attempt at "spamming"?

I do not know him. I certainly can not vouch for his results. It just seems like a lot of steady info to lie about...delidding pictures, Realbench results, Cinebench results, bios pics, realtemp screens, etc...
Stop putting words in my mouth. I stated facts, facts that are very logical based on KNOWN trusted information. That is all. I will be glad to eat my words, if Anandtech (or other reliable web sites) back this up.

But when Anandtech had to use water cooling to get a 10 core Skylake-X with a base clock of 3.3 to 4.6, then getting an 18 core of the same tech with a base clock of 2.6 to 4.8 seems impossible statistically.

Edit: I know that AMD picked the top 2% of 1800x type "cores" to put into threadripper, but getting another 100 mhz or even 200 is reasonable, and a 1950X is just 2 1800x's in one chip. But the base clocks are the same essentially. The 7900X to 7980XE has a WAY different base clock. and its a monolithic die.

Ignore the user info, and show me the fallacy of my logic.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
The performance of the 7980XE isn't really anything for 99.999% of us to get too worked up about, since it's cost prohibitive, to put it mildly. Certainly Intel is doing some pretty intensive binning to place their flagship in the best possible light, and it appears that they may have succeeded. Fun times!

Markfw

May 16, 2002
The performance of the 7980XE isn't really anything for 99.999% of us to get too worked up about, since it's cost prohibitive, to put it mildly. Certainly Intel is doing some pretty intensive binning to place their flagship in the best possible light, and it appears that they may have succeeded. Fun times!
I don't get worked up about performance, just information that skews reality. I don't think "binning" can accomplish what is being presented here.

TahoeDust

Nov 29, 2011
Stop putting words in my mouth. I stated facts, facts that are very logical based on KNOWN trusted information. That is all. I will be glad to eat my words, if Anandtech (or other reliable web sites) back this up.

But when Anandtech had to use water cooling to get a 10 core Skylake-X with a base clock of 3.3 to 4.6, then getting an 18 core of the same tech with a base clock of 2.6 to 4.8 seems impossible statistically.

Edit: I know that AMD picked the top 2% of 1800x type "cores" to put into threadripper, but getting another 100 mhz or even 200 is reasonable, and a 1950X is just 2 1800x's in one chip. But the base clocks are the same essentially. The 7900X to 7980XE has a WAY different base clock. and its a monolithic die.

Ignore the user info, and show me the fallacy of my logic.

I agree that the results we are seeing are definitely not was expected, anticipated, or thought achievable. That is why they are worth getting excited about. From what I have seen the results are valid...the verified 3dmark results are enough proof for me. As to the use of LN2, the owner says he used water. If he is lying about that, it will be disappointing.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
@Markfw ,could be chilled water on a golden sample, I don't know. It's probably not going to be representative, but I think it's okay to drool a bit at the thought of that kind of horsepower. That's what interests me, the raw power of it, not whose name is on the lid.

Markfw

May 16, 2002

Markfw

May 16, 2002
@Markfw ,could be chilled water on a golden sample, I don't know. It's probably not going to be representative, but I think it's okay to drool a bit at the thought of that kind of horsepower. That's what interests me, the raw power of it, not whose name is on the lid.
That kind of power exists in EPYC, but not a golden sample, and you can buy it NOW at that price, and probably beats it. This just seems like marketing is my point. Making things look better than they are.

TahoeDust

Nov 29, 2011
Are there photos showing the whole loop? I didn't see the radiator.
I don't think he has posted any pics showing his Rad setup. He says water temp is "20+".. "Air conditioner (Room temperature control) + Large Radi (keep low water temperature continuously) Cooling effect"

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I don't think he has posted any pics showing his Rad setup. He says water temp is "20+".. "Air conditioner (Room temperature control) + Large Radi (keep low water temperature continuously) Cooling effect"
Celcius or Fahrenheit ? 20F is below freezing. Again, until a REAL website reviews this, is all BS !

Edit: Before I leave for the night, just let me say that the 7980XE will probably blow threadripper away, but for twice the price it should. It should be compare to its "price" competitor, and that EYPC, and in use cases, its also in the same class as EYPC. THATS the benchmark that I am interested in, not marketing slides.

osgorth

Sep 6, 2017
Given that the CPU die on the 12-18 cores is much larger, it would be logical that they have an easier time transferring heat through the IHS and to the cooler - right?

That'd certainly explain why they seem to clock so well without blowing up.

Anyway, it'll be fun to see the reviews once they're finally out. Exciting times.

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
I don't get worked up about performance, just information that skews reality. I don't think "binning" can accomplish what is being presented here.
Well we don't know that with any amount of certainty, having said that we've seen 4790k, 5775c, 6700k et al being OCed to 5GHz & beyond on air or water & this is just the same PR BS that we get to see before launch.

Anyone thinking that the average 7980xe would do anything beyond 4GHz, all core, without turning into a furnace & eating a gob tonne of power is just lying to themselves!