Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 580 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TahoeDust

Nov 29, 2011
Here is 1080, you mentioned Time spy and Fire strike earlier. I'll put them up next if you like?
ww4Y2Ca.jpg

ByBWZdE.jpg

Hmmm...well this just got interesting. EVGA’s OSD is garbage, so I toggle it off for the benchmark. The speed was 2038MHz.

Yeah let’s compare graphics scores in firestrike and timespy.

MILWEPb.jpg

e0e5G7H.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2006
After Intel paid Dell $Billions and other companies as well in exchange for not using AMD products, its no wonder AMD was damaged so bad and had to stop for a while. Coffee Lake will be great I'm sure, but I have a feeling my next CPU won't be from the Intel family.

Yeah, it's Intel's fault that AMD made a bad architectural bet on Bulldozer. LOL!

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
Well...here is mine with the 1080ti only at 2038MHz...which is about as high as I can run stable.

7820x Core@4.8 Mesh@3.2
GPU 2038
Ram 3600 16-16-16-36

W0nY8Nq.jpg

9dizEBj.jpg

Do you want our Paypal?...lol

Let's find some more comparisons to run! Anyone else with a 7700k and 1080ti that in curious?
Keep benching. Lol! Nice results!!

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Just over a week to we get to see hexacore Coffee Lake CPUs and new Z370 based motherboards. Seeing the pricing and overclocking performance will be interesting. Power draw with a dGPU should be much better than the 7800X. Counting the days... :D

Reactions: Pick2
Mar 10, 2006
Just over a week to we get to see hexacore Coffee Lake CPUs and new Z370 based motherboards. Seeing the pricing and overclocking performance will be interesting. Power draw with a dGPU should be much better than the 7800X. Counting the days... :D

7800X will shortly become a niche, pointless product w/o price cuts, IMHO. And I say this as somebody who owns one :p

Reactions: Ajay and CHADBOGA

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Between Coffee Lake and ThreadRipper, the entire X299 platform seems kind of pointless to be honest. Coffee lake easily kills X299 for high end gamers and Threadripper kills X299 for heavy workloads. This leaves X299 in an overpriced no man's land.

Reactions: psolord and IEC

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Between Coffee Lake and ThreadRipper, the entire X299 platform seems kind of pointless to be honest. Coffee lake easily kills X299 for high end gamers and Threadripper kills X299 for heavy workloads. This leaves X299 in an overpriced no man's land.
Well, unless your workload depends on AVX-512. Then, I just hope that you have a fire extinguisher handy nearby, when you crank it up.

TahoeDust

Nov 29, 2011
Interesting indeed!

Ow6yfdj.png

bn70xy0.png

Looking at just graphics scores, in Firestrike you got me by ~4%...but, unfortunately I was only able to get my 1080ti to finish it at 2025MHz. In Timespy by <1%

giC2SFJ.jpg

T2GAMyV.jpg

Do you have GTAV or Doom? I think they both have built in benchmarks.

TahoeDust

Nov 29, 2011
No. Skylake-X took a step back in gaming IPC from Broadwell-E. It clearly is a workhorse CPU and nothing more.

Actually, the most well rounded chip is a 6900K IMO. Skylake-X left too much gaming performance on the table IMO. Too bad 6900K still cost $1000. I'll keep my eye out for a huge sale on those. Not likely though.

The 7700k is the gold standard for gaming right? I think the benchmarks Darkhelmut and I are posting comparing clock for clock, my 7820x going toe to toe with his 7700k, is showing that a well setup Skylake-X is lacking nothing in the gaming department.

If you know someone, or anyone reading this, with a 6900k and a 1080ti, I'll be more than happy to compare whatever they want.

Last edited:

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Looking at just graphics scores, in Firestrike you got me by ~4%...but, unfortunately I was only able to get my 1080ti to finish it at 2025MHz. In Timespy by <1%

giC2SFJ.jpg

T2GAMyV.jpg

Do you have GTAV or Doom? I think they both have built in benchmarks.

The total score doesn't mean much when translated to real life gaming. I could post my 6950X scores and it would mop the floor with any score from anyone in this thread. It's the individual gaming scores within that test that should be compared.

TahoeDust

Nov 29, 2011
The total score doesn't mean much when translated to real life gaming. I could post my 6950X scores and it would mop the floor with any score from anyone in this thread. It's the individual gaming scores within that test that should be compared.

I agree completely. Total scores are pointless in this conversation. That is why I said "Looking at just graphics scores", and the percentages I posted were only on the graphics scores.

Good idea to drill down further and look at the individual tests though.

Can you post those @Darkhelmutt ?

Here are mine:
AFDZMxb.png

yUaDqUP.png

gx_saurav

Dec 5, 2012
about.me
Even today quad cores are overkill for the average user. The kind of software that benefits from even more cores, is limited to some kind of rendering. Which means that for most people, extra cores are just idling most of the time.

This gentlemen is what enthusiasts do not understand. This is absolutely true in day to day.

Intel's approach of less-but-powerful core is arguably better because general purpose computing software does not benefit much from higher thread count. Inclusion of QuickSync was a very wise move by Intel.

Wyrm

Jun 20, 2017
No. Skylake-X took a step back in gaming IPC from Broadwell-E. It clearly is a workhorse CPU and nothing more.

Gaming doesn't seem to need any new CPU. Workstations do. Any new and better platform (CPU + HBM) is sorely needed for image processing, signal processing, computational finance, computational fluid dynamics, artificial intelligence, astronomy, theoretical physics and standard model, computer aided design, computational finance and option pricing, high frequency trading, etc. I'm tired of running simulations for several days only to discover that I screwed up some freaking parameter and need to rerun it from scratch. If gaming is all people do, the world looks so one dimensional, so "nothing more" phrase is more applicable to gaming not workstations. It's not about Intel or AMD. I welcome both TR and SKL-X whichever solves my problem best.

Edit: This is not to object to your statement. Just a call for performance that was abandoned by all these companies in the prior years.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2008
Not sure what he meant by "well rounded", but Skylake-X has the best combination of IPC, clockspeed, in combination with a high number of cores. This would make it the most "well rounded" for heavily threaded workloads, with gaming perhaps taking a step back, but I am not sure that the initial relatively poor results will not be improved upon as the platform matures. Ryzen is only attractive because you get reasonably close performance at a lower price in most cases.

Reactions: pcp7 and Timmah!

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017

Is it though...? The official announcement of the event eerily only seems to mention mobile devices, and the date suggests that it's in time for back to school...

I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't announce desktop also, however I remain a bit weary until next week.

If no boards leak this week I'll become skeptical about it too...

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
The 7700k is the gold standard for gaming right? I think the benchmarks Darkhelmut and I are posting comparing clock for clock, my 7820x going toe to toe with his 7700k, is showing that a well setup Skylake-X is lacking nothing in the gaming department.

If you know someone, or anyone reading this, with a 6900k and a 1080ti, I'll be more than happy to compare whatever they want.

3D Mark isn't gaming.

Reactions: Kuosimodo

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

It may be that some of the reviewers did a poor job of showing Skylake-X's gaming potential then, but at least to date, most of the available reviews have shown it in a somewhat negative light compared to Skylake/Kabylake. Also reference the AT review of Threadripper and their reason for not including Skylake-X results in their gaming benches . . .

Not sure what he meant by "well rounded", but Skylake-X has the best combination of IPC, clockspeed, in combination with a high number of cores. This would make it the most "well rounded" for heavily threaded workloads, with gaming perhaps taking a step back, but I am not sure that the initial relatively poor results will not be improved upon as the platform matures. Ryzen is only attractive because you get reasonably close performance at a lower price in most cases.

I don't think Ryzen is really a part of the discussion here since it is also a CPU that forces one to make some compromises in gaming performance. If the 7700k doesn't show that already, the 8700k certainly will.

Otherwise, it really boils down to what anyone considers to be "well-rounded". By that point it's a matter of personal priorities.

TahoeDust

Nov 29, 2011
3D Mark isn't gaming.
I know...and the Resident Evil 6 comparison is just one benchmark. I am hoping we can find some more ways to compare.

I am not saying that the 7820x is a better gaming CPU than a 7700k. I am saying it is VERY FAR from a "poor gaming CPU".

Anyone who owns what they think is a better gaming CPU and a 1080ti, lets find a way to compare and find out.

TahoeDust

Nov 29, 2011
It may be that some of the reviewers did a poor job of showing Skylake-X's gaming potential then, but at least to date, most of the available reviews have shown it in a somewhat negative light compared to Skylake/Kabylake.

I agree completely...that is certainly what most of the reviews have said. But owning the platform and testing it thoroughly, I don't agree. Realistically, I think the awesome low latency will make the 7700k 5% or so better at 1080p. Any resolution higher than that, it will be a wash.

Maybe we can get some more comparisons and find out.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Is it though...? The official announcement of the event eerily only seems to mention mobile devices, and the date suggests that it's in time for back to school...

I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't announce desktop also, however I remain a bit weary until next week.

If no boards leak this week I'll become skeptical about it too...

Fair enough, Intel has been very quiet. I'll be a bit sad if it's not released - then again, if it's not ready, it's not ready.