Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 577 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Coffee Lake should be an 8/16 chip. 6/12 is just a weak stop gap solution compared to the competition. Also, Coffee Lake will certainly be priced like an 8/16 chip anyway, so.

I don't know that I'd go that far. 6c/12t is something Intel should have rolled out back in 2016 as a preemptive strike against whatever it was AMD was going to launch as Ryzen, but at the same time I don't think it's "weak" today.

Compare it to Skylake-X. It's pretty obvious that Coffeelake is the logical upgrade for anyone on Intel 4c/8t today, and it's also exactly what x99 owners should want if they were on 6c/12t systems previously. Skylake-X has a completely different performance balance than their previous HEDT and mainstream lineup, while Coffeelake does not.

It's a rational product. Many Intel fans are going to like/love it. Not much else to say.

Pandora's Box

Apr 26, 2011
Early hours of overclocking. Getting some good results. 4.8GHz across all 8 cores at 1.27volts on average. I say on average because I'm using offset voltages (I like some power savings). Lowest core is 1.266, core 4 likes a little more voltage apparently at 1.285 volts. Have the MESH overclocked to 3.0GHz from 2.4GHz. Hitting 83C max.

It would seem that VRM's overheating on X299 is seriously blown out of proportion. Highest temp I am getting on my motherboard is 76C. Though I do think the Gigabyte Gaming 9 is the best motherboard in terms of VRM heatsinks.

So far I am impressed. Max overclock I could get on my 6700K was 4.6GHz. This thing has double the core count and is achieving a higher overclock. From 3.6GHz base clock to 4.8GHz is impressive imo, a 1.2GHz overclock on a 8 core CPU.

Whats everyone using for stress testing? I'm using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. Thats always been my go to stress test software.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Early hours of overclocking. Getting some good results. 4.8GHz across all 8 cores at 1.27volts on average. I say on average because I'm using offset voltages (I like some power savings). Lowest core is 1.266, core 4 likes a little more voltage apparently at 1.285 volts. Have the MESH overclocked to 3.0GHz from 2.4GHz. Hitting 83C max.

It would seem that VRM's overheating on X299 is seriously blown out of proportion. Highest temp I am getting on my motherboard is 76C. Though I do think the Gigabyte Gaming 9 is the best motherboard in terms of VRM heatsinks.

So far I am impressed. Max overclock I could get on my 6700K was 4.6GHz. This thing has double the core count and is achieving a higher overclock. From 3.6GHz base clock to 4.8GHz is impressive imo, a 1.2GHz overclock on a 8 core CPU.

Whats everyone using for stress testing? I'm using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. Thats always been my go to stress test software.

Tell me, what are your thoughts on the Gaming 9's BIOS? I have an Aorus X370 Gaming K5 and was horrified by how slow and clunky it was. I'd like to consider higher-end Gigabyte boards for my next build but am a bit reluctant because of my K5 experience.

Also, are you saying you hit 83 MAX with all 8 cores overclocked while running the Intel stress test? That is incredibly impressive IMO if that is the case.

Pandora's Box

Apr 26, 2011
Tell me, what are your thoughts on the Gaming 9's BIOS? I have an Aorus X370 Gaming K5 and was horrified by how slow and clunky it was. I'd like to consider higher-end Gigabyte boards for my next build but am a bit reluctant because of my K5 experience.

Also, are you saying you hit 83 MAX with all 8 cores overclocked while running the Intel stress test? That is incredibly impressive IMO if that is the case.

This is my first Gigabyte board I've ever had, I usually go with Asus boards, decided to try something different this time. It is not as responsive as the Asus board I last had (Z170i Pro Gaming) but I have gotten used to it. The lag isn't terrible and its not like its unusable. I do like Gigabytes Smartfan features over Asus. I don't know if Asus has improved their fan control software but on my Z170 board I couldn't set fan speeds below 60%. This Gigabyte board allows me to have the fans on my radiator shut off completely at any temperature I want. My PC is completely silent at idle (MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti fans shut off below 55C, PSU fan shuts off below 55C, and CPU fan I have set to not spin until it hits 40C (40% fan speed), it ramps up to 100% fan speed at 75C using a curve. Which is something else I could not get to work on the Asus board. There wasn't any curve with fan speed in the bios, had to use their shitty software and even then it wouldn't work. So my fans on my old build would constantly fluctuate in RPM's, very distracting. On a side note I love how Gigabyte included 2 USB 3.0 headers on the motherboard. One in the usual spot next to the 24 pin power connector (I hate this location, makes for messy cable management), theres also another at the very bottom of the board next to the regular USB 2.0 headers. Can now hide that ugly thick USB connector cable :)

I am hitting 83C on all 8 cores using Intel Stress Test for 15 minutes.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
I don't know that I'd go that far. 6c/12t is something Intel should have rolled out back in 2016 as a preemptive strike against whatever it was AMD was going to launch as Ryzen, but at the same time I don't think it's "weak" today.

Compare it to Skylake-X. It's pretty obvious that Coffeelake is the logical upgrade for anyone on Intel 4c/8t today, and it's also exactly what x99 owners should want if they were on 6c/12t systems previously. Skylake-X has a completely different performance balance than their previous HEDT and mainstream lineup, while Coffeelake does not.

It's a rational product. Many Intel fans are going to like/love it. Not much else to say.

Nah, it would feel like a sidestep at best. Personally, i have owned 6-core CPUs since half 2010 (980x and 6850k), no way i would buy another in the future.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Coffee Lake should be an 8/16 chip. 6/12 is just a weak stop gap solution compared to the competition. Also, Coffee Lake will certainly be priced like an 8/16 chip anyway, so.
4c is to low corecount for min in the newest aaa like bf1 and 6c cl is excactly what is needed to solve that.

It will sell very well if its at or below 380usd. Its got a clear win in gaming and that segment is huge and by far most important for desktop.

10nm will not make any difference for perf and probably neither will ipc. Intel will have this gaming segment covered until at least zen 2 at 7nm high perf ibm process arives.
At that time they better have something radically new ready.

Skl x is forgotten the day cl 6c arives. Outside of avx loads i cant see what Intel have to offer for professionals loads with a 1950 at 999usd and a 32c epyc at 2100 usd for the highend hedt segment. The 7800 and 7820x does have a purpose for the in between workloads that mostly tilts towards gaming but imo lets get back to this in 2 months. I guess sklx is all forgotton and 6c cl is all over.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013

Well, i guess that was the plan for CannonLake, CoffeLake is just a contigency plan in case CannonLake was cancelled, i guess they started working on it in late 2015? Is a suprise to me they were able to come out with such a solution so fast.

About pricing, well, they could charge $500 for it, people is going to say is a huge price reduction and great value just because it will have the same or similar perf as a 6900K. Right? Just applying the same logic that was applied to the 1800X here.

Aug 11, 2008
4c is to low corecount for min in the newest aaa like bf1 and 6c cl is excactly what is needed to solve that.

It will sell very well if its at or below 380usd. Its got a clear win in gaming and that segment is huge and by far most important for desktop.

10nm will not make any difference for perf and probably neither will ipc. Intel will have this gaming segment covered until at least zen 2 at 7nm high perf ibm process arives.
At that time they better have something radically new ready.

Skl x is forgotten the day cl 6c arives. Outside of avx loads i cant see what Intel have to offer for professionals loads with a 1950 at 999usd and a 32c epyc at 2100 usd for the highend hedt segment. The 7800 and 7820x does have a purpose for the in between workloads that mostly tilts towards gaming but imo lets get back to this in 2 months. I guess sklx is all forgotton and 6c cl is all over.
Maybe you should tell AMD that, since 7700k is what they chose to demo Vega.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Nah, it would feel like a sidestep at best. Personally, i have owned 6-core CPUs since half 2010 (980x and 6850k), no way i would buy another in the future.

Agreed. Plus, they are going to TIM paste the crap out of this thing anyways. So I realize I would have the cost and risk of direct die cooling in addition to paying 8 core prices for a 6 core chip. I automatically disregard any CPU if its been Intel TIM pasted. Won't touch it. If Intel never solders again, then I never buy Intel again. It's just that simple for me.

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
Agreed. Plus, they are going to TIM paste the crap out of this thing anyways. So I realize I would have the cost and risk of direct die cooling in addition to paying 8 core prices for a 6 core chip. I automatically disregard any CPU if its been Intel TIM pasted. Won't touch it. If Intel never solders again, then I never buy Intel again. It's just that simple for me.

Why? You're on custom H2O? What do you do with your chips that that isn't enough? Needing to delid is a mere fable IMHO. It's absolutely your prerogative what you will and will not purchase, I'm just curious. Secondly and thirdly, we know nothing about pricing yet, and, I really doubt AMD will continue to use solder once they discover they can save money by using TIM and can make their subsequent models cool enough.

Personally I'm more interested in knowing that the product does as advertised and learning how it performs in real life, regardless of what's under the hood.

Last edited:

TahoeDust

Nov 29, 2011

Good work. That is pretty close to where I am at. I like to use 2hr runs of Realbench and Prime95 to test for stability.

If you have not already, change your Package Power limits 1 & 2 to 450w, and vcore protection to Extreme. This will get rid of the phantom throttling. After doing that you will probably see a temp increase. If you have not changed your AVX offset, you may want to do so...it will keep temps under control. Here are my bios settings, if they help... http://imgur.com/a/5eyoe

Mar 10, 2006
This is my first Gigabyte board I've ever had, I usually go with Asus boards, decided to try something different this time. It is not as responsive as the Asus board I last had (Z170i Pro Gaming) but I have gotten used to it. The lag isn't terrible and its not like its unusable. I do like Gigabytes Smartfan features over Asus. I don't know if Asus has improved their fan control software but on my Z170 board I couldn't set fan speeds below 60%. This Gigabyte board allows me to have the fans on my radiator shut off completely at any temperature I want. My PC is completely silent at idle (MSI Gaming X 1080 Ti fans shut off below 55C, PSU fan shuts off below 55C, and CPU fan I have set to not spin until it hits 40C (40% fan speed), it ramps up to 100% fan speed at 75C using a curve. Which is something else I could not get to work on the Asus board. There wasn't any curve with fan speed in the bios, had to use their shitty software and even then it wouldn't work. So my fans on my old build would constantly fluctuate in RPM's, very distracting. On a side note I love how Gigabyte included 2 USB 3.0 headers on the motherboard. One in the usual spot next to the 24 pin power connector (I hate this location, makes for messy cable management), theres also another at the very bottom of the board next to the regular USB 2.0 headers. Can now hide that ugly thick USB connector cable :)

I am hitting 83C on all 8 cores using Intel Stress Test for 15 minutes.

Make sure to update the BIOS. All X299 boards I've worked with (Gigabyte, ASRock, and MSI) have had their little "issues" with the out-of-the-box BIOSes (which were basically beta crap).

The stuff that's out now should be much better.

Reactions: Pandora's Box
Mar 10, 2006

Then you will never buy Intel again. Solder is long gone inside of Intel, never to return.

Reactions: Ajay and Burpo

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

The conundrum for Intel owners as far up as Kabylake was: what to buy? Get four of the best cores that they have to offer, or - if not in the market for a CPU costing more than $400 - get a 6-core CPU using cores that are out of date?

With Coffeelake, Intel users finally get to choose a 6-core that has the best cores available (and for many users, that means cores that are better than Skylake-X, at least for gaming). 7700k users get an upgrade. 6850k users get an upgrade. It is the logical choice, even if it may seem at first like a baby step for the former HEDT owners. Though HEDT buyers will probably like the platform price of 370/390 quite a bit.

If you're a 6850k owner and you move to, let's say, 8 or 10 cores of Skylake-X, you gain some cores but you lose some performance elsewhere - notably in games. Not everyone is going to want to make that compromise.

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
The conundrum for Intel owners as far up as Kabylake was: what to buy? Get four of the best cores that they have to offer, or - if not in the market for a CPU costing more than $400 - get a 6-core CPU using cores that are out of date?

With Coffeelake, Intel users finally get to choose a 6-core that has the best cores available (and for many users, that means cores that are better than Skylake-X, at least for gaming). 7700k users get an upgrade. 6850k users get an upgrade. It is the logical choice, even if it may seem at first like a baby step for the former HEDT owners. Though HEDT buyers will probably like the platform price of 370/390 quite a bit.

If you're a 6850k owner and you move to, let's say, 8 or 10 cores of Skylake-X, you gain some cores but you lose some performance elsewhere - notably in games. Not everyone is going to want to make that compromise.

HEDT and mainstream gaming CPUs have never been clearer and appropriately segmented as they are now.

I haven't been this excited about a CPU upgrade since I went Q6600 > 2600K.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
8700k seems like a good choice for many people, I am surprised to see so many people hating on it. What's not to like? A 6c/12t cpu that will probably OC to around 4.7. This will give excellent gaming performance AND still be pretty good at number crunching and multi-tasking should the need arise. On top of that you can probably pick up a motherboard for a lot cheaper than the x299 platform.

This is the first decent upgrade in the consumer level i7's since the 2600K imo. Everything else since then has been incremental.

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
8700k seems like a good choice for many people, I am surprised to see so many people hating on it. What's not to like? A 6c/12t cpu that will probably OC to around 4.7. This will give excellent gaming performance AND still be pretty good at number crunching and multi-tasking should the need arise. On top of that you can probably pick up a motherboard for a lot cheaper than the x299 platform.

This is the first decent upgrade in the consumer level i7's since the 2600K imo. Everything else since then has been incremental.

Because Homo sapiens is a species that often either needs to find fault with everything or has a compulsory need to complain at any given opportunity ;) (myself included at times, admittedly)

Liking your last paragraph, agreed!!

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
It's looking like my next Intel rig will be built using a Coffee Lake 8700K. I don't build one rig for everything, and I can afford to go for a "best of breed" solution. Threadripper for the heavy lifting, Coffee Lake for the lightly threaded. Best of both worlds :)

Aug 11, 2008

Well, considering the composition and general climate of these forums lately, it is not surprising at all, not that that makes it logical or justified. Objectivity went out the window a long time ago in this forum, replaced with juvenile smack talking and blind allegiance to a certain team.

Darkhelmutt

Apr 22, 2017
Definitely. I think the 7700k will still be faster, I just want to see how close I am getting.

7700K@4.8
1080ti@2063
Ram 3200 14-14-14-34

Welp never mind, I can't figure out how to post images.
mOWb4MD

cOxmzj2