Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 511 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
What die shrink? I believe there is not going to be any die shrink for Skylake-X. Next HEDT platform is probably just a 14nm refresh Cascade Lake (like Kaby Lake after Skylake) and after that is a new architecture Ice Lake-SP which will be out not sooner than mid 2019.

AFAIK correct sir

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
What die shrink? I believe there is not going to be any die shrink for Skylake-X. Next HEDT platform is probably just a 14nm refresh Cascade Lake (like Kaby Lake after Skylake) and after that is a new architecture Ice Lake-SP which will be out not sooner than mid 2019.

Actually I think you're right. I did some googling and I saw that Intel had deprecated the tick tock cycle which had been the status quo for years. Oh well, instead of die shrink I'll use the term "refined version." :D

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
If info bellow is true (for other mobos as well), some first day reviews were made with a different product than what customers will end up buying.
Best as I can tell, at present only the 10-core setting is actually in effect, so if I set that to 40 (stock), I'll get 4.0GHz, whether I'm running a single-threaded workload or a 20-threaded workload. On an earlier BIOS, the CPU tended to run at the highest value set on any of the core counts, so 4.5GHz since that's what the 1/2-core loads specified.

The latest F5k BIOS that I received today came with a message that states, "the X299 AORUS Gaming 9 will follow Intel Turbo Boost policy by default under 'Enhanced Multi-Core Performance' which activates more cores for higher clocks." In my testing, that's still not happening.
No wonder both performance and power usage were all over the place depending on chosen review, overclocking included.
What about overclocking? That's not working as expected either—I set the CPU for a 4.7GHz clockspeed on all cores, and ended up with variable clockspeeds—setting everything to 45 was actually closer to proper 'stock' performance than anything else I've tried.

coffeeblues

Jun 23, 2017
If info bellow is true (for other mobos as well), some first day reviews were made with a different product than what customers will end up buying.

No wonder both performance and power usage were all over the place depending on chosen review, overclocking included.

Plenty of reviews complained about bios issues and late bios updates including the AT itself, we may not know what sort of beta bioses were used to do these reviews since I haven't seen any of there reviews specify the bios version they used yet.

At this point it's a given that the initial retail inventory boards will have earlier (and worse performing) bioses than those that were used to do the reviews with and the first job after getting the system is to update the bios to proper release when those are available.

Even with that in mind I'm still looking forward to see how this platform matures and thanks for all the early info/leaks and to mods for cleaning up this thread.

Dresdenboy

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2003
citavia.blog.de
Well, if that is the case then my other observation is probably true - the mesh,uh, switch? is at least 1.3 mm2 per core PLUS the memory blocks have one too. It's getting pretty expensive to do this interconnect. And then AVX-512 costs somewhere around 1-2 mm2 per core.
To me it looks like there are just 256b AVX units. Multiple sources mentioned one 512b "port" with one fp port not being available during a 512b op, which means, those ops would be executed on two 256b units.

Reactions: Drazick

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
To me it looks like there are just 256b AVX units. Multiple sources mentioned one 512b "port" with one fp port not being available during a 512b op, which means, those ops would be executed on two 256b units.

Wait, are you suggesting you think there's 4x256b units?

ManyThreads

Mar 6, 2017
It pops up during that part that the voltage isn't showing correctly, so no it's not correct.

Over 400w is crazy though.

That's 400W from the wall though, right, and for the entre system with GPU? That just doesn't seem like that much to me, especially when most people are running 650-1000W power supplies. I could very well be misinterpreting something though.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/3208482
Intel 0000 @ 3.19 GHz 1 processor, 6 cores, 12 threads

This is a Coffeelake 6/12 12MB entry on Geekbench.

Thanks for sharing. Searching the name of the motherboard (MS-1T31) led me to MSI Vortex G25VR. Looks like one of the first OEM PCs featuring Coffee Lake-S.

The most interesting aspect of the G25VR is that it will launch with the next generation Intel CPU succeeding Kaby Lake. MSI tells us that the "7th Gen. Intel Core i7" on the spec sheet is actually a typo, but the manufacturer declined to tell us the exact CPU model as the processor family is likely still under NDA. We do know, however, that the G25VR will be available in August or September and that Intel will likely have major 8th generation Core ix announcements prior to the launch of the MSI mini PC.

Reactions: Zucker2k

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
nope he is saying
port 0 256-bit FMA
port 1 256-bit FMA

port 0+1 512bit FMA
port 5 512bit FMA

Oh, interesting, AVX 512 can be issued on three different ports. But, SKX i7’s can only issue one 512b FMA instruction per clock and I9's can issue two.

Reactions: Pick2

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
Found someone today to deal my X99 mobo and 6850k to, so 7900x, here i come after all :p

Anyway, do you think that 400 EUROs is a okayish price for gigabyte x99p-sli and 6850k, both bought at the end of august last year? The board was like 250 and CPU i dont remember exactly, about 700? Is 400 a fair price then, or too much to ask?

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Found someone today to deal my X99 mobo and 6850k to, so 7900x, here i come after all :p

Anyway, do you think that 400 EUROs is a okayish price for gigabyte x99p-sli and 6850k, both bought at the end of august last year? The board was like 250 and CPU i dont remember exactly, about 700? Is 400 a fair price then, or too much to ask?

I can't comment on the price advice, but congrats on the 7900X. It really is a badass CPU. The only downsides IMO are the temps, power and price, but performance is there. Do you plan on de-lidding or direct die cooling?

Reactions: Timmah!

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010

Granted that I don't live in the EU, but what I do to determine selling price for my used parts is look at eBay as a reference. That said, if you paid 700 Euros for the CPU, I would try to recover at least half the selling price for it, assuming it's in good condition and you still have the box.

So it could be that you're pricing them too cheap. 500 Euros is more reasonable, but like I said, it depends on whether you still have the original accessories.

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
I can't comment on the price advice, but congrats on the 7900X. It really is a badass CPU. The only downsides IMO are the temps, power and price, but performance is there. Do you plan on de-lidding or direct die cooling?

Thank you :) Its not 100 percent though, but its very likely now. I will probably wait till August though, to see about 7920x - if it turned out against all current evidence that one is the top LCC chip and not 7900x, while being capable of similar clocks, then i would probably go for that one instead. Or maybe it will be HCC, but soldered. that would be worth consideration too i guess... And there is always still Threadripper option, i am not hellbent on Intel.

Regarding delidding, i dont think there is anyone where i live who could do it for me. Neither i am sure i would have cojones to do it all, too risky at that price.

Finally, the downsides, temps and power, its sad, but even if i had to run it at stock clocks, its still superior to my current CPU...

BTW, i dont really understand the logic behind the TIM instead solder decision (unless there are technical reasons) - you want to sell your chips for higher price than competition - the motivation for your potential clients should be higher frequencies of your chips - but then you go and undermine that by not soldering, and there goes the only advantage you have. Really mindboggling.

Reactions: moonbogg