Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 450 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
I have no "need" for a 7820x...but I also had no "need" for my 2700k when I bought it 5.5 years ago. I don't make purchases for what I "need" today, but what will fulfill my needs into the future.

Well said! That is precisely what I am aiming for. Coming from an i5 today I will see the biggest advancement from a 7820X in having HT back. Tomorrow is entirely different ball game where more cores may come in handy (all referring to gaming) - things like Civilization eat up more cores like it's nothing, for example.

Naa. I am pretty sure the prices here are here to stay. Intel is usually highly professional about such stuff and prefers stable prices. They care for their brand.
Rather than cut margins they will sell a bit less and introduce some new stuff with new names.

I went and checked prices on the now previous HEDT SKUs from release to today in a graph and there wasn't much difference aside from the expected minor ups and downs. So I unfortunately have to agree with you.

ManyThreads

Mar 6, 2017
There are lots of problems in Ryzen, not just memory, some have already been fixed. X99 is old technology. I expected better from AMD. For me AMD proved it can't deliver a stable and reliable product. People who bought 1700 don't care as it is still good value, but those shopping for Threadripper will care more.

What problems are you referring to? You can already use RAM up to 4000 Mhz. I'm not aware of any other issues that aren't simply design choices to reflect the low prices. A family member has had Ryzen since release day and has had zero stability/reliability issues with both CPU and RAM overclocked. I have been doing dozens of hours of research on Ryzen since release and *almost* bought one until Skylake-X got bumped up to June. If I had to wait until August I would have still gone Ryzen. This is assuming benchmarks and OC potential are as expected of course. I think Ryzen announced one month too early, but it was fully functional/stable from day one and AMD did a pretty phenomenal job getting updates out in a timely manner for OCers and enthusiasts.

Reactions: scannall

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Well said! That is precisely what I am aiming for. Coming from an i5 today I will see the biggest advancement from a 7820X in having HT back. Tomorrow is entirely different ball game where more cores may come in handy (all referring to gaming) - things like Civilization eat up more cores like it's nothing, for example.

I went and checked prices on the now previous HEDT SKUs from release to today in a graph and there wasn't much difference aside from the expected minor ups and downs. So I unfortunately have to agree with you.
Get the gear on launch day ! :)
Be the first to get a 7820x.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Going back and forth already myself. I don't need 10C and the price difference is huge. Better to get a 7820X in my case. That's decided then.

As for price drops, yeah that'd be good. Maybe when we get more TR stuff out?

I'm thinking that if AMD gets overly aggressive with pricing, Intel has room to drop their prices. Yeah, they'll still be higher than the equivalent AMD CPU but the premium will be smaller. I could see Intel drop the 10 core to $899 or maybe even $850.

I've got a Ryzen setup too (went with a 1500x because I needed a cheap second gaming system fast), and I can see myself upgrading to a 1700 soon given the sales I've seen.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I still struggle to find need for more than 4/8 in anything not encoding... maybe that will change now that the core race is on.

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
When will that be? Has Intel officially announced it?

Says Q2: http://ark.intel.com/products/family/123588/Intel-Core-X-series-Processors

I still struggle to find need for more than 4/8 in anything not encoding... maybe that will change now that the core race is on.

That's what I'm expecting as well. Remember we used to think and say we didn't need more than 2C ;) additionally, for gaming, consoles have 8C. Could be just useful for streamers etc.

TahoeDust

Nov 29, 2011
So, what retailers usually have the best launch availability? Do many take preorders? I have a lot of backed up upgrade aggression.

Mar 10, 2006

Honestly, I doubt it. AMD is pushing this "more cores" thing and Intel has to respond, so it's bringing in traditionally server-oriented SKUs to the enthusiast market so that AMD doesn't get a marketing edge.

For most tasks outside of encoding, 7700K is the way to go.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
The lack of solder has really cooled my jets regarding this release. I was prone to doing something impulsive on release day. I said "was". Now I will simply have to see how these chips perform thermally under a high OC. I'm having thoughts of an 8 core skylake@4.6 hitting upper 70's low 80's while just gaming under custom water. That simply won't do it for me. I don't like the idea of de-lidding. Intel has a performance tuning protection plan, not a disassemble and insert your own goo protection plan. I'd consider bare die cooling, but I think bare die cooling can also lead to bare die cracking. Oh wells. Guess they pasted these fancy new chips. Too bad.

Reactions: beginner99

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
I'll jump on a 6 or 8 core if/when Microcenter has a deal (20 mins away) and I decide to upgrade my 2500k.

Might be a while though... can't think of one good reason to upgrade.