Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 405 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jan Olšan

Jan 12, 2017
Most people will have whatever Intel will offer at the time and insist that is preciselly the maximum number of cores relevant software scales to. Well, they will admit that two or three individuals "who render" might need more, but those then can afford Intel HEDT if they do such work :)

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
If the pretty strong rumors are true, Intel will be up against 16 core/ 32 thread Ryzen cpu's not AMD'S mainstream platform. AFAIK, Skylake-X will be offering a top end 12 core to compete with AMD's hedt.

You should expect the much larger 2ndary cache for Intel to help in quite a few area's, depending on how bad they gimped the latency. Overall, with Intel's rip off pricing they have had for years now, it may not win them many buyers if they don't actually lower their pricing whatever the scenario.

xdfg

Mar 6, 2017
Rumors are Skylake-SP will only feature AVX-512 on large dies (Xeon "Platinum"). The other SKUs will have AVX-512 at half-speed (one per cycle vs two AVX-256), just like AVX on Ryzen. Intel market segmentation is just getting worse each generation. I hope AMD competition forces them out of the CPU market (fingers crossed for Naples).

Last edited:

w3rd

Mar 1, 2017
If the pretty strong rumors are true, Intel will be up against 16 core/ 32 thread Ryzen cpu's not AMD'S mainstream platform. AFAIK, Skylake-X will be offering a top end 12 core to compete with AMD's hedt.

You should expect the much larger 2ndary cache for Intel to help in quite a few area's, depending on how bad they gimped the latency. Overall, with Intel's rip off pricing they have had for years now, it may not win them many buyers if they don't actually lower their pricing whatever the scenario.

I said this in other threads, but it applies here too. Software is going thru a revolution and programmers are just now learning 64bit tricks, as the entire industry solidified behind 64bit OS. Programmers are still using 32bit tricks and techniques and over the next 5~10 years, we are going to see a massive push for efficiency and getting every bit, out of every tick of the cpu.

John Carmack said something similar about relearning programming after moving to 64bit and challenging himself not to lean on/rely on old 32bit techniques too much, etc. But that multi-threading, (& shaders) is the wave of the future. And coincidentally, id Software just announced something along these lines just a week ago. If you listen to these engine developers (Unity, etc), they welcome the space & freedom 64bit environment gives them. Things are about to get insane!

AND.... when Cell Phones have 6 cores in them... then you know it's time for HEDT PC Gamers, to have 18 cores stuffed into their gaming rigs..!

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
A jump of 267Mhz... and that's when we already have stable running DDR4-4000+ modules for a year. I mean they could just validate the processors for the higher memory speeds, but obviously they won't. Just holding back that memory speed because it would only hurt Optane and they can then make another 15% plus with 14nm+++ with a jump to 2800Mhz -.-
If that continues with about 250Mhz/1H we'll reach DDR4-4000 by 2020, 4 years after market introduction.
I don't think Intel or AMD will ever validate speeds higher than the official standard speed at the time of design. Everything above that is considered an overclock, I think.

Reactions: Phynaz

lolfail9001

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2016
programmers are just now learning 64bit tricks
Name a single 64bit trick that has to be done manually, then.
AND.... when Cell Phones have 6 cores in them... then you know it's time for HEDT PC Gamers, to have 18 cores stuffed into their gaming rigs..!
Yet the fastest mobile CPU by far is a 2+2. How about that twist.

Most people will have whatever Intel will offer at the time and insist that is preciselly the maximum number of cores relevant software scales to. Well, they will admit that two or three individuals "who render" might need more, but those then can afford Intel HEDT if they do such work :)
Ironically, that would be correct even clear of irony. It just so happens that games does not care about larger amount of threads than what consoles have, workstation software is often single thread bound and well, the only truly parallel workloads are the hosting, rendering and the like.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
soon we will have a 16C/32T CPU that comes as an MCM with an 4C/8T CPU just to be able to display the 32 core load % graphs!

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Rumors are Skylake-SP will only feature AVX-512 on large dies (Xeon "Platinum"). The other SKUs will have AVX-512 at half-speed (one per cycle vs two AVX-256), just like AVX on Ryzen. Intel market segmentation is just getting worse each generation. I hope AMD competition forces them out of the CPU market (fingers crossed for Naples).
Do adults actually think that way? Wishing for a monopoly...?

imported_ats

Mar 21, 2008
I said this in other threads, but it applies here too. Software is going thru a revolution and programmers are just now learning 64bit tricks, as the entire industry solidified behind 64bit OS. Programmers are still using 32bit tricks and techniques and over the next 5~10 years, we are going to see a massive push for efficiency and getting every bit, out of every tick of the cpu.

John Carmack said something similar about relearning programming after moving to 64bit and challenging himself not to lean on/rely on old 32bit techniques too much, etc. But that multi-threading, (& shaders) is the wave of the future. And coincidentally, id Software just announced something along these lines just a week ago. If you listen to these engine developers (Unity, etc), they welcome the space & freedom 64bit environment gives them. Things are about to get insane!

There really aren't 32b tricks and there really aren't 64b tricks. And software isn't going through any sort of revolution, unless you mean that it keeps getting slower and slower as more cruft and features are added and new stuff is done with much more indirect languages and programming techniques....

6c cell phones are just a waste of battery power, that why pretty much every cell phone only run with a max of 4 cores or less actually turned on. And 18c gaming rigs are a horrible idea. No current or future game is going to scale that well, hell most games won't ever scale to 8c well, now or in the future. MT programming is hard, always has been, always will be, and Amdahl is a bastard. Sure sure, waste money and power on 18c and the rest of us will us 4-6c processors and enjoy significantly better performance and a lot more spare change.

Last edited:

imported_ats

Mar 21, 2008
I don't think Intel or AMD will ever validate speeds higher than the official standard speed at the time of design. Everything above that is considered an overclock, I think.

Its a little hard to validate something that doesn't exist. There are specification for DDR4-2667. DDR4-4000 is a crap shoot of completely out of spec parts. The fact that they work at all is done to margin that is required to actually validate DDR4-2400/2667. The reality is that it is highly unlikely that any DDR4-4000+ modules out there will actually validate at all, aka they are all operating highly out of spec. If/when JEDEC actually releases a DDR4-4000+ spec, none of the current modules will even remotely meet the specifications.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007

LOL. Is this post serious?

My, oh my, how quickly we forget the ridiculously priced FX Athlon 64 CPUs when AMD was on top.......

Last edited:

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Noctua provides free mounting upgrade for Intel’s upcoming LGA2066 platform and ‘Skylake-X’ CPUs

Vienna, April 27th 2017 – Noctua today announced that it will continue its tradition of supplying customers with its premium-class SecuFirm2™ mounting kits for novel platforms free of charge. While most current Noctua heatsinks support the new LGA2066 socket of Intel’s ‘Basin Falls’ X299 platform for ‘Skylake-X’ and ‘Kaby Lake-X’ CPUs out of the box, older models can be upgraded with the NM-I2011 or NM-i20xx kits at no additional cost.

"We’re determined to provide the best possible support to our customers and, over the years, we’ve sent many thousands of mounting kits free of charge to users who wanted to upgrade to new platforms", says Roland Mossig (Noctua CEO). "With Skylake-X just around the corner, we’re pleased to announce that we’ll extend this offer for LGA2066. Owners of older Noctua retail heatsinks that don’t support LGA2011/LGA2066 out of the box will be able to upgrade to the new socket free of charge!"

http://noctua.at/en/noctua-provides...-upcoming-lga2066-platform-and-skylake-x-cpus

Also Intel briefing about Skylake-X & Kaby Lake-X on May 2. It's close. :D

Reactions: Phynaz and ozzy702

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
It does kind of look bad when the mobile phones are shipping LPDDR4X at 4200. Going to have to wait until Icelake for Intel to catch up.

That leaves room for two more series: Signature and Infinite.

Sorry could not resist :D

They just renamed it just to mix things up I think.

Platinum = E7
Gold = E5 dual socket
Silver = E5 single socket
Bronze = E3

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002

Ryzen already competes pretty well with 8 cores vs my 14 core E5-2683's. Yes, the Intel wins most of the time, but a $400 CPU competing with a $1600 one ? And only loosing by a few % ? Wait until the 32c/64t 8 channel memory AMD chip comes out......12 core Intel would loose today against Ryzen.

And to let you know, I own both, and am comparing them on software I run (DC)