Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 169 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
More Skylake notebooks listed: Dell XPS 13, Inspiron 13 7000, Alienware 13 and Asus Zenbook UX303UB will pack Core i7-6500U.

Now where' getting somewhere. :)

Those Asus and Dell models are on my shortlist. Looking forward to some reviews of those.

Just wondering, does anyone have experience from prior similar models? Can you expect the fan to always be shut off when idle or at low workload (web surfing, reading emails, ...)? I don't mind the fan being turned on during heavy workloads, but otherwise I want it to be silent.

Otherwise the Y series might be better.

dahorns

Sep 13, 2013
Now where' getting somewhere. :)

Those Asus and Dell models are on my shortlist. Looking forward to some reviews of those.

Just wondering, does anyone have experience from prior similar models? Can you expect the fan to always be shut off when idle or at low workload (web surfing, reading emails, ...)? I don't mind the fan being turned on during heavy workloads, but otherwise I want it to be silent.

Otherwise the Y series might be better.

Absolutes are dangerous. At least on the Haswell series I'd say the answer is no, the fan is not always shut off when surfing and reading emails. It'll usually be off, but sometimes a particularly heavy website or maybe just background windows tasks will cause it to heat up and turn the fan on. At least, this is true for the surface pro 3.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Acer Aspire V13/V15, R13/R14 and E15 refresh with Intel Skylake

acer_aspire_r14_3.jpg

Acer Aspire V13 (V3-372T-36TU): Core i3-6100U, 4GB of RAM and 500GB hard drive + 8GB SSD to 699 euro;
Acer Aspire R13 (R7-372T-702H): Core i7-6500U, 8GB of RAM and 512GB SSD to 1399 Euros;
Acer Aspire V13 (V3-372-76T6): Core i7-6500U, 8GB of RAM and 256GB SSD to 899 euro;
Acer Aspire V15 (V3-575G-76TM): Core i7-6500U, 8GB of RAM and 1TB hard drive, DVD burner, and Windows 799 euro;
Acer Aspire E15 (E5-574TG-76VC): Core i7-6500U, 8GB RAM, 1TB hard drive, DVD burner, and Windows 10 to 799 Euros;
Acer Aspire R14 (R5-471T-70FW): Core i7-6500U, 8GB of RAM and 128GB SSD to 899 Euros.

http://notebookitalia.it/acer-aspire-v13v15-r13r14-e15-intel-skylake-22221

HP Envy 13 comes back with Intel SKylake. HP Envy 15 refresh in sight...

hp_envy_15_2015_1.jpg

About four years ago (yes, it's been a long time), HP decided to delete the line of ultraportable "luxury" Envy 13 , passing the baton to the larger models, Envy 14, Envy 15 and Envy 17 still updated and commercially. We do not know the reasons for that choice, but probably in the last few months the American company must have changed his mind.
HP is launching a new Envy 13 (in various configurations: 13-D001TU, 13-D007TU, 13-D005TU), this time equipped with a 13.3-inch Full HD, 4-8GB of RAM, 1TB of space on hard disk, 802.11ac WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0, and Windows 10 on board. Three Intel Skylake chosen for this model: Intel Core i7-6500U 2.8 GHz, Intel Core i5-6200U from 2.30GHz to 2.3GHz and Intel Core i3-6100U. We do not know how it will be done, but we can assume that "for approval" is raising the same design of the Envy 15 and 17 in the last generation.

...Simultaneously with the launch of this new model, the HP Envy 15 will update the family with a 15.6-inch Full HD (also optionally in touch SKU Envy 15-AE108TX), Intel Skylake (almost always Core i7-6500U), 8-12- 16GB of RAM, 1TB of storage, 802.11ac WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0 and Windows 10. A SKU (Envy 15-AE103TX) also includes a Nvidia GeForce 940M with 2GB of dedicated memory. The 'HP Envy 17 instead will be refreshed with Intel Core i7-6700HQ, 16GB of RAM, 17.3-inch Full HD and Windows 10. No trace instead of a refresh for the Envy 14. HP does not stop at this and, for the 'occasion, renews also other lines of laptops, including the most popular: Pavilion 15 and 17, and Spectre x360. In particular:

hp_envy_13_skylake.jpg

HP Pavilion 15 (15-AB255TX): 15.6 "HD, Intel Core i7-6500U, 8GB of RAM, WiFi ac + BT 4.0, Windows 10 at about 1000 EUR;
HP Pavilion 15 (15-AB262TX): 15.6 "HD, Intel Core i5-6200U, 8GB of RAM, WiFi ac + BT 4.0, Windows 10, silver at about 1000 EUR;
HP Pavilion 15 (15-AB261TX): 15.6 "HD, Intel Core i5-6200U, 8GB of RAM, WiFi ac + BT 4.0, Windows 10, white at about 1000 EUR;
HP Pavilion 17 (17-G109NF): 17.3 "HD, Intel Core i7-6500U, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 to about 800 euro;
HP Pavilion 17 (17-G110NF): 17.3 "HD, Intel Core i7-6500U, 12GB of RAM, 2TB HDD, Windows 10 at about 1200 EUR;
HP Spectre x360 (13-4102TU): 13.3 "Full HD Touch, Intel Core i7-6500U, 8GB of RAM, WiFi ac + BT 4.0, Windows 10 at about 1700 EUR;
HP Spectre x360 (13-4103TU): 13.3 "Full HD Touch, Intel Core i5-6200U, 4GB of RAM, WiFi ac + BT 4.0, Windows 10 and 1500 Euros;

http://notebookitalia.it/hp-envy-13-intel-skylake-22222

I'm starting to think we will be able to buy different Skylake notebooks as soon as next month. The next IFA is going to be full of design wins.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
any word on when the US is actually going to be able to buy the 6700k? im going to do a full new build and want everything to be avail before I order

kschaffner

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2006
any word on when the US is actually going to be able to buy the 6700k? im going to do a full new build and want everything to be avail before I order

I purchased my 6700k from newegg on friday and it shipped out today. I should be receiving it tomorrow!! I'm excited to see what it will be able to do for an OC.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I saw it on Amazon for a bit but I don't know if it was shipped and sold by amazon or a 3rd party. I'm waiting for stock to stabilize and then I can buy it at the standard pricing. I never noticed it on newegg outside of a combo. I don't want a combo because the motherboard and memory I'm going with aren't part of the combo selections.

Anyway if stock doesn't stabilize when I'm ready to buy which will probably be late Sept/Early Oct, I'll have to go with an x99/5820k system instead. Not my first choice because of thermal limitations with 6cores on air cooling as well as limited PCIe lanes. I don't do anything that would use the 6 cores so it's pretty overkill.

Last edited:

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
I saw it on Amazon for a bit but I don't know if it was shipped and sold by amazon or a 3rd party. I'm waiting for stock to stabilize and then I can buy it at the standard pricing. I never noticed it on newegg outside of a combo. I don't want a combo because the motherboard and memory I'm going with aren't part of the combo selections.

I brought a Z170 deluxe August 5th. I ordered the combo(msi mobo and i7 6700k) I chatted with newegg and she said to not open the mobo and send it back. i would get the full refund for the mobo(minus the discount)

I will get it tomorrow and rma the mobo immediately
Newegg had the combo deal again earlier today but they are out again.

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
Absolutes are dangerous. At least on the Haswell series I'd say the answer is no, the fan is not always shut off when surfing and reading emails. It'll usually be off, but sometimes a particularly heavy website or maybe just background windows tasks will cause it to heat up and turn the fan on. At least, this is true for the surface pro 3.

Ok, thanks for confirming. I do think that is really strange though. I mean when web surfing or reading emails, the CPU load should be very light and thus the TDP too. So how come the fan has to be turned on? I don't get it...

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I brought a Z170 deluxe August 5th. I ordered the combo(msi mobo and i7 6700k) I chatted with newegg and she said to not open the mobo and send it back. i would get the full refund for the mobo(minus the discount)

I will get it tomorrow and rma the mobo immediately
Newegg had the combo deal again earlier today but they are out again.

That's nice they are doing that. If push comes to shove I might have to do that, but I'm hoping that in another month that stock will not be a problem anymore.

dahorns

Sep 13, 2013
Ok, thanks for confirming. I do think that is really strange though. I mean when web surfing or reading emails, the CPU load should be very light and thus the TDP too. So how come the fan has to be turned on? I don't get it...

On the surface pro 3, it appears to be background tasks eating up resources and I tend to think it is something of a bug. There is a particularly odd instance where the CPU usage shoots up for no reason, but it'll come back down if any audio is playing. I've noticed in less over the last couple of months, so maybe it was fixed with Windows 10.

As I said, typically under those light loads the fan isn't going to run.

Dave2150

Jan 20, 2015
Toss a slim bluray player on the bottom and add in a couple wireless controllers, and that would be just about the perfect little HTPC box for me.

Urgh, you had to go and spoil it. An optical drive in 2015? Madness!

Connect some lovely CAT6 cable to it (quite cheap to have CAT6 professionally run from router to living room, or DIY) and let it access media from your NAS.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

Connect some lovely CAT6 cable to it (quite cheap to have CAT6 professionally run from router to living room, or DIY) and let it access media from your NAS.

Some people prefer the physical disk.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Wires in 2015? Madness!

:biggrin:

I am working on reducing them. The new C6250EMR router from the ISP when they upgraded to 340/70Mbit helped me on the way since it only got 2 ethernet ports vs the 4 on the old CG3000.

Despite hating wireless, if you cant beat them, join them.

Aug 11, 2008
You know manufacturers have to design and build laptops? How does Intel control that?

By getting the cpus out on time perhaps??

I have to admit that usually intel is pretty good about having product available, but 14 nm had just been delay after delay and poor availability, especially here in North America. Even for the socketed desktops, Broadwell C is sketchy at best and same for Skyalke 6700k, much less the rest of the line. Intel can hardly blame the OEMs for the poor availability of Broadwell C and 6700K.

BTW, did we in NA do something to p*** of Intel? Doesnt really matter to me because I am not in the market for a system, but how come we suddenly are getting shafted as far as supply goes?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I am working on reducing them. The new C6250EMR router from the ISP when they upgraded to 340/70Mbit helped me on the way since it only got 2 ethernet ports vs the 4 on the old CG3000.

That's why I have a 16port Gigabit switch. I run everything to the switch and then to the router. I've only got one free port left too.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
BTW, did we in NA do something to p*** of Intel? Doesnt really matter to me because I am not in the market for a system, but how come we suddenly are getting shafted as far as supply goes?

You will notice its increasing in terms of electronics. The reason is the US market is getting rather small in the global scale.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006

There's only one wired device in my house, just couldn't get a clean wifi signal in my sons room. Strong, but not clean.

ASUS RTU66N. My son can stream music when he mows the lawn four houses away.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
That's why I have a 16port Gigabit switch. I run everything to the switch and then to the router. I've only got one free port left too.

Crazy :D

We got 2 gaming PCs, HTPC, Wii U, laptop, TV, digital amplifier with BluOS (NAD C390DD) and then smartphones and tablet.

I added AC wifi to one of the gaming boxes. And I unplugged the TV(Samsung with broken wifi like millions of other users). HTPC will move to AC as well when the Skylake NUC arrives. Then TV gets the cable back.

So upgrade the second gaming PC with AC and then...buy a 4K TV and all cables are gone. For some reason the better half always nags about cables.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
You will notice its increasing in terms of electronics. The reason is the US market is getting rather small in the global scale.

I think partly it's people are buying Apple products, partly people moved to tablet or laptops, and partly that technology has stagnated. In terms of electronics there hasn't been much of a revolution in audio and video technology lately. I think a lot of people simply sit on their current gear longer than before because the reason to upgrade is less. Also probably other countries are getting more financially stable in their own way and more consumers in those countries are buying electronics than previously.

Though if you talk purely about video games(I know you didn't mention that I'm just throwing it in), North America still dominates.

Crazy :D

We got 2 gaming PCs, HTPC, Wii U, laptop, TV, digital amplifier with BluOS (NAD C390DD) and then smartphones and tablet.

I added AC wifi to one of the gaming boxes. And I unplugged the TV(Samsung with broken wifi like millions of other users). HTPC will move to AC as well when the Skylake NUC arrives. Then TV gets the cable back.

So upgrade the second gaming PC with AC and then...buy a 4K TV and all cables are gone. For some reason the better half always nags about cables.

Well, I have a gaming PC, 2 Smart TVs, a Fire TV, a NAS box, Xbox One, PS4, Two network Blu Ray players, one iMac and one older Powermac G5 in the garage for audio recording, my AV Receiver, Two Network Security cameras, and a network laser printer. Now most of the devices that reside in the same room/area run through a switch of their own but I have every room wired up so that you can plug in an ethernet device from there. Thus my main switch near the router is nearly out of ports.

I hate wireless myself and avoid it except from tablets and smartphones.

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
There's only one wired device in my house, just couldn't get a clean wifi signal in my sons room. Strong, but not clean.

ASUS RTU66N. My son can stream music when he mows the lawn four houses away.

Everything here is reinforced concrete for walls and hollow core slabs for top/bottom. But still perfect all around.

I was very skeptical at first, but I dont miss the cables.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000

If you can't come home and just throw the Blu Ray from Netflix/RedBox in it, it's not an HTPC. My optical is hidden from sight anyway, even with the side panel off, slot load slim from top of case (NCase M1).

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
I think partly it's people are buying Apple products, partly people moved to tablet or laptops, and partly that technology has stagnated. In terms of electronics there hasn't been much of a revolution in audio and video technology lately. I think a lot of people simply sit on their current gear longer than before because the reason to upgrade is less. Also probably other countries are getting more financially stable in their own way and more consumers in those countries are buying electronics than previously.

Though if you talk purely about video games(I know you didn't mention that I'm just throwing it in), North America still dominates.

Ye thats true. GPU/gaming is another matter due to stronger desire. Just like iPhones.

But the west is plagued by personal debt and spending fear with little growth. People buy what they really want, but else they either cant afford it or sit on the money for the rest. Thats essentially also why we got the financial crisis 2.0 now. Finance capitalism, the evil brother to capitalism, shows its ugly face again.

When Intel can sell ~1 (Skylake) CPU in the US, they can sell ~5 in China alone at the same price level. If it wasnt for the east block in Europe with growth. I am sure the EU would also be like the US already.