Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 120 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Interesting, in the games tested by Eurogamer Core i5 6600K (Skylake-S) provided a larger performance per clock performance gain than Core i5 4690K (Haswell) compared to Core i5 2500K (Sandy Bridge).

Core i5 6600K vs Core i5 4690K (same 3.5-3.9GHz base/turbo)
- 17.3% faster @ The Witcher 3
- 11.4% faster @ GTA V
- 10% faster @ Battlefield 4

Core i5 4690K vs Core i5 2500K (3.5-3.9GHz vs 3.3-3.7GHz base/turbo, ~6% clock advantage)
- 7.3% faster @ The Witcher 3
- 11.9% faster @ GTA V
- 14.1% faster @ Battlefield 4

Also check out the in-game comparisons:
Stock: www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ_5p9wd2dk
4.5GHz OC: www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWxncqbe1H8

ShintaiDK said:
6600K slapped 4690K and 3570K hard in that review!

But again it shows what happens when Skylake can run free.

Now it makes me consider the 65W version again. Still looking for a board tho...Asus release specs on your ITX gaming board!

I'm anxious to build a mini-ITX system based on them too. Problem is I can't decide between raw performance from the unlocked chips or the power efficiency of the new 'T' 35W parts. :p

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
That's only one review ;). It could be the issue with their i5 Haswell setup , who knows. AT and hardware.fr show more modest gains for Skylake.

Dislikeyou

Apr 25, 2012
Ready to build... ^_^

wnYnndd.jpg

That's 4x4 GB 3000Mhz CL 15 1.35v ram, someone told me that I should have gotten 2x8 instead because Skylake is dual channel.
Should I exchange it for 2x8 2400 MHz CL 16 1.2v? Not sure which is better. I always used to have all 4 dimm slots populated.

Edrick

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2010
Ready to build... ^_^

That's 4x4 GB 3000Mhz CL 15 1.35v ram, someone told me that I should have gotten 2x8 instead because Skylake is dual channel.
Should I exchange it for 2x8 2400 MHz CL 16 1.2v? Not sure which is better. I always used to have all 4 dimm slots populated.

My personal experience has always been better with 2x8 on the dual channel Intel chips. In fact, I just bought the Ripjaws V 3000mhz 2x8 set for my Skylake build.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0231878&cm_re=ripjaw_v-_-20-231-878-_-Product

Mar 10, 2006
Ready to build... ^_^

wnYnndd.jpg

If you don't plan to upgrade this system to 32GB of RAM down the line, I think you're fine.

Get on with building that sucker! :)

Edrick

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2010
Could you explain what is better?

Quite simply, I have been able to run more stable while using only 2 sticks. The only two times I populated all 4 banks, I had to increase my timings to get 100% stable.

Note: I only use Gigabyte MBs and it may have been an issue only with said MBs. But I just don't even take the risk anymore since the prices are so similar.

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
The problem is when you add it, you cant remove it.

And there is a long time till we get HMC/HBM as standard. eDRAM will slowly tickle in here to keep consumers buying. Another product stack will already get eDRAM with Skylake. But thats an U model.

If we say there is a good 5 years till HMC/HBM as a consumer memory replacement technology. Then I would say in around 3 years you see eDRAM as standard.

Ok, but I still don't see what the problem is with adding eDRAM already now. Sure you can't remove it once it's added on a chip, but why is that a problem?

Dislikeyou

Apr 25, 2012
Quite simply, I have been able to run more stable while using only 2 sticks. The only two times I populated all 4 banks, I had to increase my timings to get 100% stable.

Note: I only use Gigabyte MBs and it may have been an issue only with said MBs. But I just don't even take the risk anymore since the prices are so similar.

The thing is, if I change ram now I will have to buy it from a local store since I don't want to order online and wait another few days until I can build. And there is only one local store that has good ram, and they only have Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4 2x8 2400MH 1.2v CL16, is it worth getting those or should I just stick with the ram I already bought? I know that 2 sticks generate less load on memroy controller but I have no idea if that matters.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Ok, but I still don't see what the problem is with adding eDRAM already now. Sure you can't remove it once it's added on a chip, but why is that a problem?

Because its not needed on all products yet. Its a nice to have, not a need to have feature yet.

And its business, not charity.

Edrick

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2010
The thing is, if I change ram now I will have to buy it from a local store since I don't want to order online and wait another few days until I can build. And there is only one local store that has good ram, and they only have Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4 2x8 2400MH 1.2v CL16, is it worth getting those or should I just stick with the ram I already bought? I know that 2 sticks generate less load on memroy controller but I have no idea if that matters.

Unless you are going to try for a really high OC, I don't think it should matter. Worst case scenario, you have issues with getting your RAM stable, you can return it, no?

Just as my own personal rule, based on my own experience, I go with 2x8.

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
Not sure why but on Newegg(US) if you go thru the left category panel and select the motherboards and click to filter the 1151 mobo you don't get as broad a selection as you do when just typing lga 1151 on the main page search bar.

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
If we say there is a good 5 years till HMC/HBM as a consumer memory replacement technology. Then I would say in around 3 years you see eDRAM as standard.

I think AMD intends to add HBM to their Zen based APUs a lot sooner than that. As for Intel, I don't know however.

Edrick

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2010
I think AMD intends to add HBM to their Zen based APUs a lot sooner than that. As for Intel, I don't know however.

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but as we move toward HBM integration with CPUs, does that reduce the need for large, complex levels of cache on said CPUs?

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012

AMD have expressed no such thing yet. Also the primary issue will be cost that dictates when. And for HBM we already know the interposer is a terrible thing in relation to fixed costs. Not to mention the cost of HBM itself.

Last edited:

Dislikeyou

Apr 25, 2012
You can return it, no?

I'm not sure if it is possible to return used ram.

I keep hearing that Skylake benefits from more memory bandwith but if you have 4 modules instead of 2, you will you will not gain more bandwith after 2 modules. I don't understand that so well, it's all confusing to me, why couldn't they just put 2 dimm slots on the boards.

Mar 10, 2006
I'm not sure if it is possible to return used ram.

I keep hearing that Skylake benefits from more memory bandwith but if you have 4 modules instead of 2, you will you will not gain more bandwith after 2 modules. I don't understand that so well, it's all confusing to me, why couldn't they just put 2 dimm slots on the boards.

The short answer is "don't worry about it, you'll probably be fine."

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
That's only one review ;). It could be the issue with their i5 Haswell setup , who knows. AT and hardware.fr show more modest gains for Skylake.

Huh, not really. In the games tested by Hardware.fr Skylake is 12.1% faster than Haswell while Haswell is 10.4% faster than Sandy Bridge (per clock, all running at 3.6GHz). That's totally in line with Eurogamer's results.

Last edited:

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
Not exactly a review, kinda funny article on Skylake.

"Intel plays the press with Skylake stupidity
Rant-ish: How to milk stupid consumers and piss off enthusiasts"

http://semiaccurate.com/2015/08/05/intel-plays-press-skylake-stupidity/

Oh look, SA doesn't like Skylake. Whodathunkit?

Both are ‘unlocked’ enthusiast parts meaning they likely have the $30 premium Intel soaks you for to not cripple them.

Yes, because Intel should turn on a feature allowing consumers to more easily wreck their CPU and then RMA it at no extra cost.

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
Because its not needed on all products yet. Its a nice to have, not a need to have feature yet.

And its business, not charity.

I'm not saying they should add eDRAM on all products. But at least on the high end and maybe mid range desktop CPUs. After all you said it's cheap, and adds quite a lot performance. So then it definitely ought to be worth it. They could scale back on other stuff if they want to compensate for the cost, like having a few less EUs in the iGPU. The end result may be better that way, if eDRAM is as cheap and effective as you said.

Last edited: