Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 121 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yes, because Intel should turn on a feature allowing consumers to more easily wreck their CPU and then RMA it at no extra cost.

Considering how many safety features they build in to their CPUs, that's pretty unlikely that someone would fry one of them. Then again, excess voltage without FIVR might do it.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Neoseeker Review. They hit a stable 4.76GHz @ 1.35V. Meanwhile their Core i7 4790K (Devil's Canyon) sample topped out at 4.6GHz and Core i7 5775C (Broadwell-K) 4.3GHz.

- Intel Core i7 6700K 4760 MHz 101.3 x 47 @ 1.35v

When it comes to overclocking, I feel like I never get enough time to experiment and fine tune before a release. Finding the sweet spot of a specific chip requires a lot of time and patience, however the end result is worth it when you can squeeze that last drop of performance while running a stable system at acceptable thermal levels.

Overclocking on the new platform was a real pleasure, and the MSI Z170A Gaming M7 motherboard made the process even smoother. I opted for a manual overclock via the easy-to-navigate UEFI BIOS, and after a bit of trial and error, I settled for a very respectable and fully stable 4.762 GHz clock. Looking at the fine tuning options made available in the new platform for overclocking, I'm pretty sure I could've achieved higher numbers if I had a couple weeks to dedicate fully to this section of the review. In the meanwhile, an overclock of 760MHz over stock while keeping the voltage and heat levels under check is nothing to sneeze at.

Intel's 6th Gen Core i7-6700K Skylake CPU showed impressive performance across the board, pulling ahead of the Core i7-4770K and 4790K in the majority of benchmarks. The performance gains were mostly within the 10% range projected by Intel, which is an admirable feat considering that the Devil’s Canyon-based 4790K is a beast of a CPU in its own right.

Also, new record for quad-cores @ Geekbench?
http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/3131444

OCed Core i7 6700K is almost breaking the 7.000 points mark @ single-thread.

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
I'm not saying they should add eDRAM on all products. But at least on the high end and maybe mid range desktop CPUs. After all you said it's cheap, and adds quite a lot performance. So then it definitely ought to be worth it. They could scale back on other stuff if they want to compensate for the cost, like having a few less EUs in the iGPU. The end result may be better that way, if eDRAM is as cheap and effective as you said.

Why? For the same reason they should also add 8 cores?

Remember why there was only a BGA version with eDRAM for Haswell?
We gonna start seeing H models with 2x128MB.

128MB eDRAM at 22nm uses 940mW at idle. And the cost is round 3$. But again, the production cost of a 6700K is around 20-25$.

If you want eDRAM you just have to buy the C model.
pcars-fps.gif

Its called segmentation.

Sooner or later a large part will get eDRAM before the transition to fixed memory sizes with HMC/HBM. But a $ is still a $. Same reason why we see expensive Z170 boards with a crappy Realtek NIC so someone could save 50cents. Or why smartphone makers ship phones with memory amounts that will cripple them so you have to buy the next one.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2006
But again, the production cost of a 6700K is around 20-25$.

I don't know if I buy this number. Even if the raw die cost of a Skylake GT2 were $20-$25 (I'd have to run the numbers to see if this makes sense), I doubt most of the chips that actually work will work at 4GHz base/4.2GHz turbo at the rated power consumption.

This would suggest that the implied "cost" of a 6700K is quite a bit higher than the die cost of a generic working Skylake GT2.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
You dont need unlocked CPUs to OC, we were fine with FSB overclocking in the P3/P4 and Core 2 Duo/Quad era ;)

With BCLK being unlocked from the PCIe, etc. bus speed again, it will be interesting to see if the non-k Skylake chips can be overclocked with a compliant BIOS.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015
RIP NVIDIA. At least on Mobile. Those Intel iGPU are way stronger than before. And once it has 512 Mb EDram..... Nvidia will be out of the mobile mainstream market even with Gameworks (AMD is deader than dead, so no more talking)

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
Why? For the same reason they should also add 8 cores?

Remember why there was only a BGA version with eDRAM for Haswell?
We gonna start seeing H models with 2x128MB.

128MB eDRAM at 22nm uses 940mW at idle. And the cost is round 3$. But again, the production cost of a 6700K is around 20-25$.

If you want eDRAM you just have to buy the C model.
pcars-fps.gif

Its called segmentation.

Sooner or later a large part will get eDRAM before the transition to fixed memory sizes with HMC/HBM. But a $ is still a $. Same reason why we see expensive Z170 boards with a crappy Realtek NIC so someone could save 50cents. Or why smartphone makers ship phones with memory amounts that will cripple them so you have to buy the next one.

From where did you get the 20-25$ figure? And does that include all R&D costs etc spread out over the number of units produced, or is it just the price of producing one die?

Also, so what you're saying now is that you're changing your mind again? I.e. eDRAM is not so cheap and effective after all, when compared to other options...? Because otherwise they would have prioritized it on more SKUs in favor of other stuff (e.g. having 4 EUs less or something like that).

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
From where did you get the 20-25$ figure? And does that include all R&D costs etc spread out over the number of units produced, or is it just the price of producing one die?

Also, so what you're saying now is that you're changing your mind again? I.e. eDRAM is not so cheap and effective after all, when compared to other options...? Because otherwise they would have prioritized it on more SKUs in favor of other stuff (e.g. having 4 EUs less or something like that).

Its Intels base cost. No, I am not changing my mind.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Im ready to build.
Checklist
Z170 mobo Check
Ram Check

CPU CPU CPU ??
No cpu wtf

I can send you a handful of the CPU of your choosing :p

I however cant mind an ITX mobo I want. Maybe the Asus Z170I Pro Gaming. But Asus didnt give specs yet!

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
Its Intels base cost.
And your source for that $20-25 figure is what again?
No, I am not changing my mind.
Well you can't both have the cake and eat it. Either eDRAM is cheap and effective, or it isn't.

Now you're still saying it is cheap and effective, yet you think it's perfectly normal to only use it on very few specialized desktop SKUs. o_O

Pick one of two please...

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
With BCLK being unlocked from the PCIe, etc. bus speed again, it will be interesting to see if the non-k Skylake chips can be overclocked with a compliant BIOS.

We will have to wait for a while for the non K SKUs to release in order to find out. Lets hope they will be able to OC.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
And your source for that $20-25 figure is what again?

Well you can't both have the cake and eat it. Either eDRAM is cheap and effective, or it isn't.

Now you're still saying it is cheap and effective, yet you think it's perfectly normal to only use it on very few specialized desktop SKUs. o_O

Pick one of two please...

You just want to argue for the sake of argue. Rather than to understand the business behind. Just like usual with your 8 core dreams and so on.

So lets just stop it here instead of the constant loops that goes nowhere.

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
I can send you a handful of the CPU of your choosing :p

I however cant mind an ITX mobo I want. Maybe the Asus Z170I Pro Gaming. But Asus didnt give specs yet!

Yeah the only Mini ITX I see is the Evga Stinger. Remind me what is missing from that that you need?

.vodka

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2014
Don't know if it's been posted, but..

http://www.overclock.net/t/1568357/skylake-delidded

LL

Some rough measurements assuming the package is 37.5mm*37.5mm as are 1156/1155/1150 CPUs, gives around 120mm^2 for the die.

Lynnfield: 296mm^2
Sandy: 216mm^2
Ivy: 160mm^2
Haswell: 177mm^2

That's tiny, and they're asking $350 in i7 form for that. I guess the 14nm process and additional R&D are getting ridiculously expensive at this point.

Guy is also reporting much better temperatures / higher clocks doing the usual thermal paste change and black adhesive removal after delidding.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Yeah the only Mini ITX I see is the Evga Stinger. Remind me what is missing from that that you need?

M.2 for SSD. Plus they demand a hefty premium for a board without premium features. But last part I could have dealt with if it had the M.2 for SSDs.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Have you seen this page not sure when everything will be announced and available.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9485/...rock-asus-gigabyte-msi-ecs-evga-supermicro/11

Yep. And there are 60 boards listed in Europe, 6 ITX. The Asus Z170I Pro Gaming seems to have what i need (They say there is a M.2 for SSD on the back) and it got Wifi in a slot. I assume with an Intel 8260AC. But who knows, maybe there is a huge turnoff thing.

I am not going to use a Realtek NIC for example ;)

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
That's tiny, and they're asking $350 in i7 form for that. I guess the 14nm process and additional R&D are getting ridiculously expensive at this point.

I think Intel's still having yield issues with 14 nm, and it's showing up with the poor availability of the quad cores.