Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 99 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
ea0c2eb6bea543f1ae99389e4488544d.png

The new (many!) graphic options seem bizarre to me...

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
Something in between GT1 and GT2, nothing new here. The SKL naming scheme is old stuff, known since several months.

stockwiz

Sep 8, 2013
If according to Ian's generational review, broadwell is 18.5% IPC increase over SB.

Let's assume Skylake is 7.5% increase over broadwell (not unimaginable for a TOCK). Then Sky is

(1.075)(1.185) = 27.4% faster than SB

Or in other words, a 6700K @ stock 4.2 turbo = SB @ 5.35 Ghz

This depends on my 7.5% increase assumption. But Skylake should be comparable to topped out SB. And after OC, a very clear winner.

By my math and arbitrary 7.5% assumption number, Skylake at 4.5 Ghz is would be equivalent to SB @ 5.733 Ghz

27% really isn't that much. It usually takes at least a 66% increase in FPS before I'll upgrade video cards and the upgrade to skylake would require new RAM as well.

With all that said I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little excited in anticipation of the expiring of the NDA and the official release of skylake. :)

Last edited:

Dufus

Sep 20, 2010
Yeah I won't base overclocking capability on early ES samples and I wouldn't even run over 1.3vcore (even that seems high) through Skylake 14nm CPUs for longevity.

The non-ES are also R0 and there are validations at 5GHz but no pics, sorry. While it's not indicative of 24/7 it does IMHO give some idea of OC'ing potential. With 1.3V you might be looking at 4.5GHz or less depending on chip.

I suspect we will see some proper benches from Tweaktown soon (5th?) with an i7-6700K that overclocks to 5.2GHz. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean the benches will be run at 5.2GHz. ;)

Still, CPU-Z results look better than those that were ran for Broadwell.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
I'm going to have to disagree. I think you'd be surprised too. Check this out:

IPC%20Over%20Sandy_575px.png

And this chart doesn't even include Skylake benches, which are sure to be better than Broadwell. Now is a great time to upgrade your SandyB rig if you can afford to.

Non of the above are games. In games the difference between a 4GHz Sandy and 4GHz Broadwell at 4K is ZERO in the vast majority of games. You are way too much GPU limited in that resolution. Even at 1080p the differences are not worth mentioning. For most people with Sandys, it will be better to upgrade their GPUs even if they only game at 1080p.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
ea0c2eb6bea543f1ae99389e4488544d.png

The new (many!) graphic options seem bizarre to me...

Someone in Intel marketing has been tasked with the unenviable challenge of figuring out how to build brand awareness and value around the silicon being dedicated to the iGPU portion of the chip so that Intel can begin the process of unlocking shareholder value. Good luck to all of us, our decoder ring is about to become ginormous.

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Don't worry IDC, Intel's misdirection marketing mavens have already succeeded.

Pages and pages of this thread have seen (former?) overclocking enthusiasts debate the average-to-magnificent performance gains of Intel's stunning 14nm graphics technology. Performance so impressive that entry level 28nm dGPUs will be demolished. Again.

The brilliance of releasing globally (in a local sort of way) the Broadwell up-sized mobile CPU on the desktop with disappointing overclocking - but way better iGPU a few months before the next 14nm power-sipping powerhouse, softens up the resistance to the next generation of overclocking disappointment and 3-7% IPC gains.

The masters of die manipulation have already sold us on the vital importance of perf/watt - for CPUs. For graphics processing..well...that's what 10nm is for. Moar iGPU, because, today's desktop enthusiasts are obsessed with iGPU performance and the frame-spitting magic of eDRAM.

Seven versions of Iris!!! This is the stuff enthusiast..uh...shareholder dreams are made of.

This new era of dismal IPC gains and moar iGPUs is so exciting my decoder ring finger is getting twitchy.

Fjodor2001

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2010
I think it was good to move to a 3 digit numbering system for the iGPUs, so it becomes easier to distinguish from the 4 digit CPU numbers. The old 4 digit iGPU numbers looked awfully similar to the CPU numbers for those not in the know, e.g. 4670 CPU and 4600 iGPU.

Last edited:

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999

Pages and pages of this thread have seen (former?) overclocking enthusiasts debate the average-to-magnificent performance gains of Intel's stunning 14nm graphics technology. Performance so impressive that entry level 28nm dGPUs will be demolished. Again.

The brilliance of releasing globally (in a local sort of way) the Broadwell up-sized mobile CPU on the desktop with disappointing overclocking - but way better iGPU a few months before the next 14nm power-sipping powerhouse, softens up the resistance to the next generation of overclocking disappointment and 3-7% IPC gains.

The masters of die manipulation have already sold us on the vital importance of perf/watt - for CPUs. For graphics processing..well...that's what 10nm is for. Moar iGPU, because, today's desktop enthusiasts are obsessed with iGPU performance and the frame-spitting magic of eDRAM.

Seven versions of Iris!!! This is the stuff enthusiast..uh...shareholder dreams are made of.

This new era of dismal IPC gains and moar iGPUs is so exciting my decoder ring finger is getting twitchy.

Its the sneaky back-door way to Larrabee'ing the market :(

RIP 28nm entry level discrete GPUs, you have met your match some 5-6 yrs later :p

Walter E Kurtz

Jun 5, 2015

:biggrin::biggrin:

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
@Sweepr you have no idea how much I have been getting on Asus nerves the past couple of days via Facebook messages lol
Me: Show them link of other companies board images and info on the web. When are you going to show yours

Asus: In the next couple of days.

Me: Can you at least tell me how many fans headers are on the Z170 Deluxe

Asus: Please contact our Asus friends in your country for more details

Tovarisc

Jun 12, 2015
I can see some shops in europe already selling 6700K and 6600K.

Don't play with my heart :( My local HW stores aren't selling yet and silence they are giving to questions about them getting Skylake doesn't give me confidence.

F5 is real

Tovarisc

Jun 12, 2015
Finnish HW store, Jimms, confirmed that they are getting LGA1151 mobos and CPUs into stock around official release.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

This forum should have an upvote function. +1.

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
This forum should have an upvote function. +1.

Yeah... I feel like my haswell will last me for quite a time (hopefully as much as 920 lasted :) ). After build up of IPC hype, Skylake turned out to be business as usual IPC increase. And this time not even AVX2 / FMA / BMI novelty like instruction set is here to make it interesting.

IGP is nice and dandy, i want that in laptop and especially in Surface (X) (PRO) type devices, but for desktop enthusiast Skylake seems to be skippable as long as you have Sandy gen+

Bradtech519

Jul 6, 2010
Since my FX8350 rig died on me in the sig below. I'm surviving off a Surface Pro. Looking into building a skylake rig now or used 3000/4000k series.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Yeah... I feel like my haswell will last me for quite a time (hopefully as much as 920 lasted :) ). After build up of IPC hype, Skylake turned out to be business as usual IPC increase. And this time not even AVX2 / FMA / BMI novelty like instruction set is here to make it interesting.

IGP is nice and dandy, i want that in laptop and especially in Surface (X) (PRO) type devices, but for desktop enthusiast Skylake seems to be skippable as long as you have Sandy gen+

Excatly the surface pro line is where i'd like to see how skylake fares. So far, other than that, its a *meh*. Keep the haswell(or ivey or sandy), get a 980ti or fury maybe.. and some 4K lovin'..

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Since my FX8350 rig died on me in the sig below. I'm surviving off a Surface Pro. Looking into building a skylake rig now or used 3000/4000k series.

Looking at your sig, if you're into cores, the 5960 would be the beast i'd be looking at. Apparantly it overclocks very well too, just ~100-200mhz under devils oc potential.