Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 558 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I'm thinking of getting a kaby lake 7700k since it will fit my mobo. I see a few reviews on Newegg complaining about heat.

Am I going to see much better performance? I have barely overclocked my 6700k.
No, there is no real gain for you. You might be able to overclock a bit more but that is about it. Not worth the expense. Also, forget about reviews of heat. All high-end processors run hot now. The temperature maximums for both Intel and AMD were raised from the 60°C/70°C range to ~95°C. You just have to get used to that change.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
No, there is no real gain for you. You might be able to overclock a bit more but that is about it. Not worth the expense. Also, forget about reviews of heat. All high-end processors run hot now. The temperature maximums for both Intel and AMD were raised from the 60°C/70°C range to ~95°C. You just have to get used to that change.
Ah ok makes sense from what I've been reading. I mainly mess with digital combat simulator and the occulus rift now which made me think of upgrading since dcs is a very CPU heavy sim. I notice that only 20-30% of my gpu is being used while CPU usage is a lot higher.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
I'm thinking of getting a kaby lake 7700k since it will fit my mobo. I see a few reviews on Newegg complaining about heat.

Am I going to see much better performance? I have barely overclocked my 6700k.
You won't see any performance difference. At all. Save your money for an upgrade that actually does something.

Reactions: CHADBOGA

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
I haven't overclocked in a while but I like that I have a lot of options in the bios to overclock via percentage or ghz or based on what performance I want. I think I'll set it to 4.2 and see how it does. My cooler right now is pretty decent.

Never ever use in build in OC options unless you like turning your system into a tesla coil!! It will unnecessarily ram way too much volts through the CPU and what not. Manual OC is where it is. Also, what cooler do you have? Because "decent" can mean anything :D

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Never ever use in build in OC options unless you like turning your system into a tesla coil!! It will unnecessarily ram way too much volts through the CPU and what not. Manual OC is where it is. Also, what cooler do you have? Because "decent" can mean anything :D
I've used it only once before but didn't run it long. I usually keep the voltage the same and change the speed slowly. Currently I'm using a corsair h100i v2. I've never seen it get too hot lately.

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
I've used it only once before but didn't run it long. I usually keep the voltage the same and change the speed slowly. Currently I'm using a corsair h100i v2. I've never seen it get too hot lately.

Excellent cooler mate :) so no auto voltage then (which is the aforementioned culprit really)?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Excellent cooler mate :) so no auto voltage then (which is the aforementioned culprit really)?
Yea auto voltage seems to be an issue if using the efi bios auto overclocking options and this mobo has plenty of them. I actually had to roll the bios back because I didn't realize the f20 bios is for kaby lake and ups the normal voltage by default.

I'm going to go ahead and adjust my settings to what this guy used.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1610175/anyone-oc-6600k-or-6700k-on-a-gigabyte-z170-board

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
Yea auto voltage seems to be an issue if using the efi bios auto overclocking options and this mobo has plenty of them. I actually had to roll the bios back because I didn't realize the f20 bios is for kaby lake and ups the normal voltage by default.

I'm going to go ahead and adjust my settings to what this guy used.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1610175/anyone-oc-6600k-or-6700k-on-a-gigabyte-z170-board

Since every board and chip are different I wouldn't use someone else's settings personally. Find what works best for yours. Oh and also, 4.2GHz is nothing; opt for 4.6-4.7GHz ;) have fun!

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
ASRock : Coffee Lake CPU is not compatibilble with 200 series motherboards.
Now waiting for the additional bomb shell that Z370 is Z270 rebranded.:sweatsmile:
If both are true, that would really sour me on buying any Intel CPUs or motherboards in the future. I'd go Ryzen all the way for my custom builds.

If Intel is going to screw over their customers arbitrarily, then screw them.

Reactions: Drazick

wildhorse2k

May 12, 2017
If both are true, that would really sour me on buying any Intel CPUs or motherboards in the future. I'd go Ryzen all the way for my custom builds.

Its happening because AMD doesn't have a high frequency CPU. But it isn't a problem for everyone. I would normally upgrade motherboard together with new CPU as you want new features (better PCIe or memory).

Reactions: TheF34RChannel

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
So Z370 will be a single-gen product, then?

Most likely. You wouldn't be upgrading anytime soon for gaming if you bought the 8700K, so it's kind of moot.

Icelake doesn't seem like it will be much of an improvement at the very high end; maybe a small IPC improvement at best but clocks should be lower than Coffee (although not by much).

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Its happening because AMD doesn't have a high frequency CPU. But it isn't a problem for everyone. I would normally upgrade motherboard together with new CPU as you want new features (better PCIe or memory).

I think it's very likely in the not too distant future that desktop will go to BGA only. It's only a matter of time.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Now waiting for the additional bomb shell that Z370 is Z270 rebranded.:sweatsmile:

It almost certainly is. The problem is probably the socket or shall I say power deliver or more specifically power use. Given the recent intel trends I'm pretty certain the 91w vs 95w TDP from 7700k to 8700k doesn't actually reflect the real difference in power use. would not surprise me if the 8700 needs 33% more power than a 7700k and for that new socket spec was required.

Not an engineer but I doubt it's an easy thing to make an existing socket compatible to a new, more power hungry chip with more cores. Ryzen+ on AM4 will have same core counts and some improvements but will be same core counts and for zen 2 / 7nm almost certainly a new board will be needed too or you won't get more cores.

Just know that Skylake loves voltage at those clocks

Sure glad I did not buy into Z270. So Z370 will be a single-gen product, then? Might need to rethink my desire for a mainstream hexacore.

Yeah that is essential the downside with CFL. It's obvious it will have 0 upgrade path. On the otherhand CPU upgrades are hardly worth it anyway. By the time they become obsolete you will want a new platform with new features (usb, pcie version and lanes, ram,...) anyway.

TheGiant

Jun 12, 2017
I am expecting that my Asrock z170 extreme 4 supports CFL. Not on the day 1 but after 3 month they will make the press release that "after a hard fight we found a way to support CFL on z170 and z270, uff"

Crumpet

Jan 15, 2017
I am expecting that my Asrock z170 extreme 4 supports CFL. Not on the day 1 but after 3 month they will make the press release that "after a hard fight we found a way to support CFL on z170 and z270, uff"

Followed by an announcement the week later with that path being blocked off by Intel and forced via Windows Update or somesuch nonsense.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I was of the opinion early on that Z270 boards with adequate (read: beefy) power delivery should be compatible, whether that would be "allowed" or not was a separate question.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017

This is one of those very temporary blips that cause gnashing of teeth on forums, but have no actual effect in the real world since the VAST majority of people never upgrade their CPUs in the first place.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
This is one of those very temporary blips that cause gnashing of teeth on forums, but have no actual effect in the real world since the VAST majority of people never upgrade their CPUs in the first place.
That seems true, yet I for one often repurpose boards with different CPUs depending on the intended use, so the more CPUs are compatible with any given board purchase, the more useful it is to me. It would be interesting to have a figure on just how many boards end up with a different CPU at some point in their life, I accept that I am likely an outlier.

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017

I can't wait to hear what you have to say when AMD starts doing the same after they smelled the money ;) but enough about that vendor.

Most likely. You wouldn't be upgrading anytime soon for gaming if you bought the 8700K, so it's kind of moot.

Icelake doesn't seem like it will be much of an improvement at the very high end; maybe a small IPC improvement at best but clocks should be lower than Coffee (although not by much).

I liked your post for the first paragraph. The second one, however, brings to asking you how do you know? By the little we hitherto know Ice Lake is looking to be a very nice product line. Although I don't wish to discuss that series in this thread to much since we have the other thread for everything post 14nm:

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...ke-ice-lake-tiger-lake-thread.2509080/page-14