Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 468 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
$120 mITX mobo on AM4 and $250 X299 mITX mobo do not compete in quality, you know.
Do I get 3 PCIe NVMe M.2 Slots on X299 MoBo? Do you get dual PCIe x16 slots on mITX X299$? No. Neither you get it on B350/X370 mITX MoBos.

The only benefit you get is quad channel memory on X299 MoBo. Nothing else.

Reactions: Drazick

csbin

Feb 4, 2013
https://www.chiphell.com/thread-1741861-1-1.html

Xeon Gold 6150(7980XE)18C/36T 165W TDP All Core 3.4G:R15 2981 Score
E5 2679 V4 20C/40T 200W TDP All Core 3.2G: R15 3200 Score
Ryzen ThreadRipper 1998x 16C32T :R15 3000-3200 Score

TB2f4vIvrJmpuFjSZFwXXaE4VXa_!!2341477237.jpg

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.3-c.w4002-16141298066.20.Ktv4vU&id=548238529710

Xeon Platinum 8168 24C/48T 205W TDP All Core 3.4G:R15 3900+ Score

7Tq5L.jpg

Reactions: Burpo

blue11

May 11, 2017
Why do your posts always show a bunch of parked CPU cores? Could it be that Cinebench is the wrong choice to test these many-core processors? The price ($4200) is decent though and much lower than the $12000 figures we were quoted earlier. However, it does look like the 26/28C parts will not be replacing the E5-2699v4's price point. Perhaps it was too much to wish for (27% uplift), and the top core counts will be reserved for E7 replacements.

Last edited:

lolfail9001

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2016
Do I get 3 PCIe NVMe M.2 Slots on X299 MoBo?
You do. So, what now?
Says the guy who doesn't even know how thermal throttling works. I noticed how you disappeared into the woodwork after your last BS post was thoroughly debunked.
Except you have literally posted a picture of TDP throttling happening, not thermal throttling. And failed to notice that.

wahdangun

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2011
Watch the video linked a few posts above. All in all it's quite interesting, but the part you want starts at 11:10, near the end. It talks about NVMe devices, but still.. why, why stop innovation and progress right on its tracks that way?

That's just what those insane NVMe drives need, a direct connection to the CPU and all of its PCIe lanes (too bad the affordable models are gimped in this regard), then it's up to you to set them up however you want... more artificial gimping. This time it would seem you have to pay. Ridiculous.

We don't need another Intel Upgrade Ripoff Service. They had a real chance to make the greatest, most impressive HEDT platform since X58. X79/X99 were half assed attempts in comparison... Oh well..

I won't be touching an Intel product even with a laser pointer if that happens, despite using their stuff for the past 10 years and counting... If they walk down that path it'll probably get worse. Yeah, I get the /s, but you know how Intel operates when they enter full greedy/Apple mode.

Why can't we all go back to one of the many golden ages of computing with a Core 2-like Intel innovating and providing value instead of pulling all this crap? Do they really need another wake up call like the Athlon 64 back in the day to get back to that mindset?

Wtf, what actually behind this key ?? Why its needed for basic raid 1?? And why for raid 5 version its much more expensive i mean its almost the price of the motherboard its self.

Its just too stupid.

blue11

May 11, 2017
Except you have literally posted a picture of TDP throttling happening, not thermal throttling. And failed to notice that.
Do they no longer teach you how to read in primary school? It says right there in nice big letters (which I even highlighted for you) "Thermal Throttling: YES." It is hilarious that even after being literally BTFO, you are still trying to play damage control. Now, I see you here trying to claim that B350 motherboards can only support one PCI-E card at a time. I wonder if we will see you quietly disappear again, when that gets debunked as well.

Insults not allowed.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

wahdangun

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2011
Wow so many Intel haters here. It looks like prospective Intel customers who have gone mad because they think Intel is asking too much and now they "have" to buy AMD instead of the Intel CPU they always wanted.

PCH RAID became useless because nobody will buy SATA SSDs today when there is M.2. It's also questionable how TRIM works with Intel RST, it probably doesn't. Raid 0 will be for free on X299 just as it was on Z270. Will AMD offer any RAID on X399? Is there any RAID on X370? Do you think Highpoint will sell you their RAID for free? Just for the sum of those SSDs? Developing it cost Intel some money and instead charging everyone they decided to lower the cost for people and charge only those who want to use it. Wow so many disgruntled customers who are unhappy they don't get free stuff.

Threadripper 8 core must be priced lower than 1800X because it will have lower performance due to the 2 die architecture that will likely result in high latencies. A 1800X will handle 8 thread load much better than Threadripper 8 core. In such a scenario 1800X should also be superior to Threadripper 12 core.

People worshiping AMD just because it is offering more cores, yet they don't even know the performance. Why get more idle cores if I can't utilize them? I can afford Threadripper 16C and Skylake-X 18C but why should I be getting them? I want few highly performant cores.

So if intel release dongle key just to unlock overclocking are you ok with this ? Let say every 100 mghz unlock you need higher price key.

lolfail9001

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2016
On mITX MoBo? I thought it was clear in the context of what was discussed ion the quoted posts.
Yes, 2 on the back, 1 on the daughterboard.
It says right there in nice big letters (which I even highlighted for you) "Thermal Throttling: YES."
Yet if you pay attention you will notice that it does not drop clock even when thermal throttling in nice round circle you highlighted. So, no, it may be hitting thermal limit but it does not reflect on clock. So, we were both wrong. What now?
Now, I see you here trying to claim that B350 motherboards can only support one PCI-E card at a time. I wonder if we will see you quietly disappear again, when that gets debunked as well.
One PCI-E card to the CPU, stop trying to pull off a trick on me.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Wtf, what actually behind this key ?? Why its needed for basic raid 1?? And why for raid 5 version its much more expensive i mean its almost the price of the motherboard its self.

Its just too stupid.

The only thing I can think of is licensing.

blue11

May 11, 2017
Yet if you pay attention you will notice that it does not drop clock even when thermal throttling in nice round circle you highlighted. So, no, it may be hitting thermal limit but it does not reflect on clock. So, we were both wrong. What now?
It lost 200 MHz from the peak of 3 GHz if you look closely. Actually, you can see from the fractional clock speed that it is oscillating between 2.8 and 2.9 GHz as the chip cools and reheats.

One PCI-E card to the CPU, stop trying to pull off a trick on me.
It supports a x16 GPU, a x4 10 Gbit NIC, and a x4 M.2 just fine. OK, so maybe an X299 board can also support another x16 GPU. To get those 40 lanes though (otherwise you have 28 vs 24, big deal), you have to buy a $1000 CPU for no reason other than pure segmentation/cash-grab.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Wow so many Intel haters here. It looks like prospective Intel customers who have gone mad because they think Intel is asking too much and now they "have" to buy AMD instead of the Intel CPU they always wanted.

PCH RAID became useless because nobody will buy SATA SSDs today when there is M.2. It's also questionable how TRIM works with Intel RST, it probably doesn't. Raid 0 will be for free on X299 just as it was on Z270. Will AMD offer any RAID on X399? Is there any RAID on X370? Do you think Highpoint will sell you their RAID for free? Just for the sum of those SSDs? Developing it cost Intel some money and instead charging everyone they decided to lower the cost for people and charge only those who want to use it. Wow so many disgruntled customers who are unhappy they don't get free stuff.

Threadripper 8 core must be priced lower than 1800X because it will have lower performance due to the 2 die architecture that will likely result in high latencies. A 1800X will handle 8 thread load much better than Threadripper 8 core. In such a scenario 1800X should also be superior to Threadripper 12 core.

People worshiping AMD just because it is offering more cores, yet they don't even know the performance. Why get more idle cores if I can't utilize them? I can afford Threadripper 16C and Skylake-X 18C but why should I be getting them? I want few highly performant cores.
There's so much wrong with that post, I'm not even sure where to start.

plopke

Jan 26, 2010
I am not really upset that they are limiting certain products in their stack by
-keys for raid
-PCIe lanes
-core counts
-memory channels
Also ,

But like linustech , i do feel they are creating one big specification/requirement mumbo jumbo mess , iX might as well be replaced with iX.A.B.C.D.E.F.G , with A-cores,B-threads-C-socket,D-channels,E-memory-support,F-PCIe-lanes,graphics... . And i know it was not all clear before but this feels messy.

There is only one thing that baffles me , even if you buy a raidkey it will only be working with intel drives? Optane SSD coming,buuuut I assume this is because it will not be ready for launch with anything else?

Crumpet

Jan 15, 2017
I am not really upset that they are limiting certain products in their stack by
-keys for raid
-PCIe lanes
-core counts
-memory channels
Also ,

But like linustech , i do feel they are creating one big specification/requirement mumbo jumbo mess , iX might as well be replaced with iX.A.B.C.D.E.F.G , with A-cores,B-threads-C-socket,D-channels,E-memory-support,F-PCIe-lanes,graphics... . And i know it was not all clear before but this feels messy.

There is only one thing that baffles me , even if you buy a raidkey it will only be working with intel drives? Optane SSD coming,buuuut I assume this is because it will not be ready for launch with anything else?

Well Intel's 18 core won't be ready until late this year so they've got time to release the SSD's....

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
I can understand the panic and denial Intel must be going through. Imagine being able to sell 8 core chips for $1000, 6 core chips for $600 and quads for $400, and then suddenly you can't do that anymore. Intel is now forced to offer value to the customer and they are doing everything humanly possible to avoid that. Its not working out for them. I agree that $600 is too much for the 8 core chip, especially with the Ryzen price drops. Double the price of a 1700 and a more expensive motherboard, not to mention the terrible TIM debacle all make this a very sour launch IMO. All they had to do was simply offer the customer a high quality product at a fair price, but they just wouldn't have any of it. They had to take things away and gimp the product.
Then rush out and buy Ryzen....
For those of us that want the best ST performance, we'll buy those intel chips. I know that until Ryzen offers better ST performance. $1000 for an 8 core chip from intel is nothing to me and either is a $600 hexacore. Intel is still the best gaming chip in town.

But hey, prove me wrong, I hope to see you with an AMD CPU down the line. My guess is you'll realize that intel charges the prices they do because people are willing to pay them.

I only want Ryzen for a budget server, so it better come at a budget price. Which sucks for AMD to have to take the budget approach, while intel gets the big bucks.

You guys are crying about extremely high end server style features. Which, SURPRISE, intel doesn't want to destroy their lucrative business just because AMD released cheap processors.

Stop comparing Intel and AMD as apples to apples altneratives when it's painfully obvious they're not. AMD is a SERVER first chip. No matter what hilarious things you want to tell yourself this is what it was designed to accomplish. Obviously it does this well, hence why I had always intended to wait for Ryzen for cheap cores.
Intel has the most powerful cores. They can charge a premium for that...

I doubt the 1700 will be as popular as ya'll think. It doesn't even register on my radar.

Coffeelake hexacore will be the game changer in August. Once that is available, it'll appease the masses, and the only people that will be upset will be the tiniest amount of customers that intel can afford to lose to keep the masses paying the high prices intel has earned the right to charge.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Even on a $50 A320 mobo :p

I think everyone is getting a little excited at Intel's locked features they are confusing things. Per the articles I have seen, the ONLY locked, pay for features are RAID 1, 5, and 10 on VROC. SATA Raid is still around with no issues.

To compare this new VROC PCI-e NVM-e RAID with SATA raid is silly, since they are not the same thing and X299 still supports all the SATA raid modes for free.

As far as I can tell, we don't even know if Threadripper will have a similar CPU-based RAID solution to use all those 64 PCI-e lanes. I'm not saying they won't, but I can't find any information that they will.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
I think everyone is getting a little excited at Intel's locked features they are confusing things. Per the articles I have seen, the ONLY locked, pay for features are RAID 1, 5, and 10 on VROC. SATA Raid is still around with no issues.

To compare this new VROC PCI-e NVM-e RAID with SATA raid is silly, since they are not the same thing and X299 still supports all the SATA raid modes for free.

As far as I can tell, we don't even know if Threadripper will have a similar CPU-based RAID solution to use all those 64 PCI-e lanes. I'm not saying they won't, but I can't find any information that they will.
Do you need a strong CPU for data storage with Raid?

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Do you need a strong CPU for data storage with Raid?

What does that even mean? The issue here is that on HEDT, the PCI-e lanes are direct CPU lanes, not through the chipset. On z270, you can NVM-e raid with the chipset support because of that.

On X99, there was no NVM-e raid support because the CPU doesn't have a raid controller or the ability to run firmware raid. They are adding a new virtual raid on CPU feature on X299 to allow drives on direct CPU lanes to be raided even though the chipset is bypassed.

This NEW FEATURE is what Intel is gating with a pay-wall. This is not something we used to get for free, this is literally a new feature on HEDT.

I don't agree with it, but all these comparisons to SATA raid support on other chipsets/platforms is obviously out of ignorance of the feature.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2blzd and Zucker2k

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009

I just replied to "Is there any RAID on X370?"

;)

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I just replied to "Is there any RAID on X370?"

;)

Yeah, I know. I wasn't sure who to quote about the apparent confusion. It doesn't help that this misrepresented idea that Intel is charging for something that is and was free on all other and previous platforms is on all avenues of discussion I have seen about Skylake-X.

TahoeDust

Nov 29, 2011
If one's intentions are 90% gaming do y'all think a binned (5.1GHz) and delided 7700k will outperform the incoming 7820x?

With the new Turbo 3, in theory, will I be able to overclock 1-2 cores of the 7820x to 5.0+ GHz making it just as capable as the 7700k in games that don't take advantage of the extra cores? Basically rivaling the 7700k at what that chip excels in, but also have all the extra cores when I want them?

Last edited:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
You don't even need to consider the 1800X because with the 50$ price cut the 1700X@350$1700X@350$ is a much better proposition than it was at 400$ as it can do the same frequencies at similar voltages as the 1800X, except edge cases which is luck of the draw.

NO u cant because now you just factored in overclocking... and now u just brought that cpu into a territory Intel dominates at.
You dont think a 4.3ghz stock intel cpu wont be able to do 15-20% out of the box?
So now your looking at a $599 cpu which has a profile overclock of about 4.5-4.7 and if as you say luck of the draw is on your side, the glorious 5ghz overclock on its side.

So what now which is a better cpu?
There is nothing wrong with the CPU, its the PLATFORM which has a lot of disgust.
Its exactly as Linus has stated, the platform is nothing but face palms after face palms, however the cpu is solid.

I am still leaning to AMD's platform tho because i dont approve of how they neutered the x299.
I mean seriously, RAID TOKEN?
We got to unlock our boards with stupid TPM module type dongles?
Really now...

If i have to unlock RAID, id rather pick up a SAS RAID Controller because at least now i have SAS capability instead of buying a 199 or 299 raid5 dongle.

Reactions: IndyColtsFan