Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 166 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Xed

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2003
Got one with a Maximus VIII from Newegg (and some ddr4-3000)

Might still wind up with the Msi titanium board since I like the look and have white psu cables..will see what the 980ti lightning looks like first.

jagilbertvt

Jun 3, 2001
Got one with a Maximus VIII from Newegg (and some ddr4-3000)

Might still wind up with the Msi titanium board since I like the look and have white psu cables..will see what the 980ti lightning looks like first.

I have that board and ddr4 3200.... no cpu though. :/

drteming

May 9, 2005
Have you tried using load line calibration?

Voltage set at 1.35v in BIOS, set load line calibration to high and squeezed out another 100 MHz. Posted at 4.7 GHz but would not boot into Windows. Overclocking this thing is boring. I remember the old days with an Opteron 165, working for days to get 3 GHz stable. Gonna let it ride at 4.2 GHz at stock voltage.

20779598801_2b8506fb4d_h.jpg

Validation

Last edited:

Xed

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2003
I have that board and ddr4 3200.... no cpu though. :/

Sorry man. I hate the combo stuff as well. I probably would have waited but I won't have free time in Sept when the Msi board launches.

Hopefully Intel will get off their asses and get the US some stock asap.

jagilbertvt

Jun 3, 2001
Sorry man. I hate the combo stuff as well. I probably would have waited but I won't have free time in Sept when the Msi board launches.

Hopefully Intel will get off their asses and get the US some stock asap.

I was originally going to wait on the CPU, but I figured I should get the board/ram while it was in stock. I guess I figured wrong! :D

witeken

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2013
Not joking, Intel improved dramatically and seems that next year, before Pascal and Ice Islands launch, Kabylake would be ready.... And is supposed to practically being the Presscot to Conroe transition of the GPU... Maybe NVIDIA would start to say bye bye to the low tier if they stick to GDDR5
Let's first see how pricing and availability are. At the moment, there's only GT2.

Edit: I think Intel is more interested in taking the mobile dGPU market away.

witeken

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2013
When you look at following recent slide by Intel fellow about Exascale, I see no technology that adds up to 3D XPoint. PCM comes close though, although not in things like endurance. Maybe if the switch from PCMS changes anything, that could be it.

future-systems-intel-borkar-memory-options.jpg

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The stock situation is pitiful. I don't think I've ever seen a CPU that wasn't an FX or X chip have such low stock in North America.

Hopefully when I'm ready to build I can find the CPU without buying a combo(for a reasonable price). Asus' website doesn't list the Maximus VIII Ranger. It appears to be the same as the Hero at first glance. What differences are there?

Last edited:

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
The stock situation is pitiful. I don't think I've ever seen a CPU that wasn't an FX or X chip have such low stock in North America.

Hopefully when I'm ready to build I can find the CPU without buying a combo(for a reasonable price). Asus' website doesn't list the Maximus VIII Ranger. It appears to be the same as the Hero at first glance. What differences are there?

The Ranger is listed on their global site.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-RANGER/

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Sounds like the wireless charging isn't coming until 2016. I'm not sure why the delay but it does make waiting for Kabylake laptops a little bit more appealing. Especially with Optane and maybe the return of the FIVR.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
Sounds like the wireless charging isn't coming until 2016. I'm not sure why the delay but it does make waiting for Kabylake laptops a little bit more appealing. Especially with Optane and maybe the return of the FIVR.

I seem to remember Intel stating that Fivr would be returning after kaby lake, at least for desktops. If Kaby lake chips are going to be compatible with z170 chipsets they would most likely need to leave the voltage regulation up to the motherboard.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Some comments from lead Skylake designer Julius Mandelblat:

In its five-year development cycle, “this product passed through at least two revolutions” to now cover products with a 20-fold span in power consumption and a four-fold range in system form factors, said Julius Mandelblat, senior principal engineer on Skylake.

“I don’t think any of us would have believed it if we were told that five years ago,” he said.

Intel said the Skylake SoC should generally sport higher frequencies than the current generation. In other improvements, it has twice the bandwidth of the previous processor bus, more throughput on its internal ring interconnect, execution units with shorter latencies an improved branch predictor, faster pre-fetcher, deeper buffers and improved page-miss handling.

In an interesting side note, Intel removed the integrated voltage regulator from the new SoC to hit tablet power consumption levels. “We didn’t have time to be flexible enough to have it in higher SKUs -- we were limited in time,” said Mandelblat.

www.eetimes.com/document.asp?cid=NL...b925125de8bbb021&doc_id=1327450&page_number=1

eDRAM difference between Gen 8 and Gen 9 from Real World Tech:

Gwn 8:

Some SoC products include embedded DRAM (EDRAM), bundled into the SoC’s chip packaging. For example, the Intel processor graphics gen7.5-based Intel Iris Pro 5200 and the Intel processor graphics gen8 based Intel Iris Pro 6200 products bundle a 128 megabyte EDRAM. The EDRAM operates in its own clock domain and can be clocked up to 1.6GHz. The EDRAM has separate buses for read and write, and each are capable of 32 byte/EDRAM-cycle. EDRAM supports many applications including low latency display surface refresh. For both CPU architecture and the compute architecture of Intel processor graphics gen8, EDRAM further supports the memory hierarchy by serving as a large “victim cache” behind LLC. Compute data first populates LLC. Cacheline victims that are evicted from LLC will spill into the EDRAM. If later reads/writes occur to cachelines stored in EDRAM, they are quickly reloaded into LLC, and read/writing then proceeds as usual.

Gwn 9:

Some SoC products may include 64-128 megabytes of embedded DRAM (EDRAM), bundled into the SoC’s chip packaging. For example, the Intel processor graphics gen8 based Intel Iris Pro 6200 products bundle a 128 megabyte EDRAM. The EDRAM operates in its own clock domain and can be clocked up to 1.6GHz. The EDRAM has separate buses for read and write, and each are capable of 32 byte/EDRAM-cycle. EDRAM supports many applications including low latency display surface refresh. For the compute architecture of Intel processor graphics gen9, EDRAM further supports the memory hierarchy by serving as a “memory-side” cache between LLC and DRAM. Like LLC, EDRAM caching is shared by both Intel processor graphics and by CPU cores. On an LLC or EDRAM cache miss, data from DRAM will be filled first into EDRAM. (An optional mode also allows bypass to LLC.) Conversely, as cachelines are evicted from LLC, they will be written back into EDRAM. If compute kernels wish to read or write cachelines currently stored in EDRAM, they are quickly re-loaded into LLC, and read/writing then proceeds as usual.

www.realworldtech.com/forum/?threadid=152287&curpostid=152316

Some interesting bits here:

6th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor Family Datasheet, Vol. 1

www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/desktop-6th-gen-core-family-datasheet-vol-1.html

Last edited:

witeken

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2013
I still don't understand what's changed with the eDRAM, and why they changed it and the benefits.

zerolus

Jul 18, 2005
So I reached a stable overclock with my i5 6600k of 4.2ghz at 1.275v which is really poor. Couldn't even stress test 4.5ghz at 1.45v. Temperatures never got above 60c so is there something that I'm doing wrong or did I just get a poor oc cpu? I'm not disappointed with the performance at all, it's much faster than my 4.4ghz 2500k but I expected a bit more based on testimonials.