Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 103 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Hopefully I'll be waking up to English Skylake+DDR4 benchmarks and I can finish this build. Sweet dreams AT.

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Don't know what it's worth but here's another review : http://www.gamersky.com/hardware/201508/630547.shtml
Sure hope CPUZ or Photoshop is broken on Skylake...1.744V at 4.2 and 91 degrees. Ouch!

gamersky_27origin_53_2015851056BDB.jpg

Dufus

Sep 20, 2010

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nah...91 degrees...Celsius - nothing to worry about - tons of headroom. When HWmonitor auto switches to Kelvin and turns on AVX, then we worry.

Tsavo

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2009
I sense sarcasm in your post, am I correct? :p

Nope. Skylake is using new electron alignment and pattern smoothing technology. IIRC, Intel said this makes the electrons 28% smoother and 8% smaller than normal.

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nope. Skylake is using new electron alignment and pattern smoothing technology. IIRC, Intel said this makes the electrons 28% smoother and 8% smaller than normal.

But, only for the iGPU. The CPU cores get their bigger, rougher electrons from the tears of former AMD engineers.

tenks

Apr 26, 2007
Broadwell-E should be compatible with X99. There is uncertainty if it will be skipped in favor of Skylake-E, which most likely will not be X99-based.

Yea I'm very aware of this. Broadwell-E's delay/uncertainty has really f'd up my plans (Ive posted this a lot lately lol).

After my original post, I really thought hard about this afterward. Except for x58, Intel's recent platforms only usually last for one tick-tock generation..Sandy/Ivy X79. Haswell/Broadwell x99...it got many thinking how many people actually upgraded from sandy-e to ivy-e? Only the rich and silly? My original plan was to get a 5820k early and maybe throw a broadwell-e in my setup down the line..But how many people really upgrade Cpus in 12-24 months..it sounds like a dumb plan now in retrospect, especially with how crappy broadwell turned out on the regular DT..

I def need 6 cores...I just want some certainty in the HEDT roadmaps. Wonder if they will be update with tomorrow's skylake launch.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013

iSkylaker

May 9, 2015

HexiumVII

Dec 11, 2005
Yea I'm very aware of this. Broadwell-E's delay/uncertainty has really f'd up my plans (Ive posted this a lot lately lol).

After my original post, I really thought hard about this afterward. Except for x58, Intel's recent platforms only usually last for one tick-tock generation..Sandy/Ivy X79. Haswell/Broadwell x99...it got many thinking how many people actually upgraded from sandy-e to ivy-e? Only the rich and silly? My original plan was to get a 5820k early and maybe throw a broadwell-e in my setup down the line..But how many people really upgrade Cpus in 12-24 months..it sounds like a dumb plan now in retrospect, especially with how crappy broadwell turned out on the regular DT..

I def need 6 cores...I just want some certainty in the HEDT roadmaps. Wonder if they will be update with tomorrow's skylake launch.

I think you'll need to wait for native USB 3.1 for some real futureproofing. I do a lot of work cloning disk and xfering data and would really like the bandwidth when they come out with 3.1 docks. Really disappointed that z107 only has addon cards. Still prob a year away, but i think 3.1 is going to be here to stay as it will prob be integrated into iphone/android phones maybe as early as next year as even Apple made the huge jump already. They should've really called it USB 4.0 since the jump is about as bigger than 2.0-3.0 (another 10x bandwidth, 10x power, better connector). What gives man.

Anyways reviews are starting!

http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-core-i7-6700k-cpu-review-processor-gaming-performance/

Last edited:

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
I called the Microcenter near me before they closed. The guy took a while to find info but he said they have some things on the way. They usually get deliveries before they open and to check the website.