Intel i5 2500K 3.3GHz Retail Box at MC....$99.99!!!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

qliveur

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2007
I've done what bunnyfubbles is talking about a few times in advance for when myself or family was going to be passing through an area with a Micro Center.

It always worked.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
Microcenter hardly ever enforces the 1-per limit. Even if they do, it's not hard to order multiples with different accounts adding yourself as the authorized pickup.

I just go buy one, toss it in my car, go back in get another, rinse repeat.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
They don't get them for cheap, they sell them at a loss to get you into the store with the idea that you end up spending money on other products that net them a profit.

They do get channel rebates, as do all other legit vendors.

Microcenter hardly ever enforces the 1-per limit. Even if they do, it's not hard to order multiples with different accounts adding yourself as the authorized pickup.

I've tried a couple times at the Westmont store. Been denied both times.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
I've tried a couple times at the Westmont store. Been denied both times.
Yeah, it's highly YMMV. I got shot down at the MN store a few years ago for the i7 920, but the Dallas store is pretty lax.

kleinkinstein

Aug 16, 2012
GO TO YOUR MC NOW!!
I swung into MC this morning and bought two even though online was OOS. I just asked. Simple. Easy Peasy! Got one for an upgrade, the other for a xmas present. They never care about 1 per customer. They just want the sales.

Anyway, the real story is that when I struck up a conversation with the lady back in the enthusiast section about the online OOS status she quickly said that they "do that on purpose to get people to drive down to the store. Since so many reserved them online which forces them out of inventory and maybe 50% never come into to buy/pickup." So all your stores should have them, just go in store and ask. Like the good 'ol B&M days. Now the best part of the story is she went on to say that "this is it for their 2500k stock, but when they run out we will honor the $99 price and provide a 3570k instead. And also offer the $40 mobo combo discount." She was not sure of how long. " Probably, this weekend she said." HOLY SHIT I said to myself. Yes, get yourself down to the store and hope the 2500k's are actually gone and get the $99 Ivy upgrade. Holy Shit I still say!

Last edited:

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
GO TO YOUR MC NOW!!
I swung into MC this morning and bought two even though online was OOS. I just asked. Simple. Easy Peasy! Got one for an upgrade, the other for a xmas present. They never care about 1 per customer. They just want the sales.

Anyway, the real story is that when I struck up a conversation with the lady back in the enthusiast section about the online OOS status she quickly said that they "do that on purpose to get people to drive down to the store. Since so many reserved them online which forces them out of inventory and maybe 50% never come into to buy/pickup." So all your stores should have them, just go in store and ask. Like the good 'ol B&M days. Now the best part of the story is she went on to say that "this is it for their 2500k stock, but when they run out we will honor the $99 price and provide a 3570k instead. And also offer the $40 mobo combo discount." She was not sure of how long. " Probably, this weekend she said." HOLY SHIT I said to myself. Yes, get yourself down to the store and hope the 2500k's are actually gone and get the $99 Ivy upgrade. Holy Shit I still say!

The problem with that reasoning is that online reservations give 3+ days... I ordered my 2500K on Friday the 16th and have until store closing on the 19th to pick it up, that's 3 full store days + the time remaining on the day of the reservation.

Sure, there might be some who don't come in to claim the reservation, but those reservations made on Friday shouldn't be available for sale again until Tuesday unless they're giving away reserved 2500Ks to customers like you and offering 3570K compensation to customers like me for giving our reservation away just because we didn't come in to pick it up in time.

Now the question is, do I pick mine up now like I originally planed or do I wait until sometime Monday...

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
GO TO YOUR MC NOW!!

that sounds like a nerd's wet dream. probably is. yes...o_O

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
Picked up my
2500k for $99.99+Tax

While I was there also decided to get
3570k for $169.99 and
Asrock z77 Pro 4 for $109.99. Combo discount on the board made the board $69.99 (So board+cpu was $239.98+tax)

Total for all three was $368.02 once you factor in sales tax.

69mustang

Aug 17, 2011
GO TO YOUR MC NOW!!

Went to the Tustin store and they were sold out of the 2500K. I asked about honoring the deal with a 3570K and they said no. :'(

Jen

Elite Member
Dec 8, 1999
Went to the Tustin store and they were sold out of the 2500K. I asked about honoring the deal with a 3570K and they said no. :'(

one on another forum reported having recieved a 3570k for same price so if that is true then some stores will while others wont.

wonders where is santa

hugs

Jen

weevilone

Jun 24, 2012
I asked 2 different employees, same answer.

Same result here in St. Louis.. no match.

Though I'm not sweating the $30 difference, since I'd rather have the newer CPU. Of course you have to buy a MB and use the combo to get that close.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
Well, if MC matches TigerDirect's Black Friday offer of $149.99 for the 3570K with the $50 off combo still intact, then I might still snag a setup :)

mango123

Sep 1, 2012
http://www.microcenter.com/product/354589/Core_i5_2500K_33GHz_LGA_1155_Boxed_Processor

Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz LGA 1155 Boxed Processor

Holy @$!&, $99.99 for a 2500K???

If you have a Microcenter near you, how can you resist this?? ;)

Was planning on making the drive to westmont store form the milwaukee area even though they are listed as OOS following other peoples advice to go in person...

Unfortunately, the entry on MC website is reading 159.99 now, which is only like 10$ less than the 3570k now.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Was planning on making the drive to westmont store form the milwaukee area even though they are listed as OOS following other peoples advice to go in person...

Unfortunately, the entry on MC website is reading 159.99 now, which is only like 10$ less than the 3570k now.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have completely liquidated their stock and never get any more, they did something similar with a 2600K sale.

Although I suppose the 2600K situation was slightly different in that it was essentially replaced by the 2700K, and there really isn't that option for the 2500K, but it still feels very similar.