Intel has $55.9B record year, ships 46M tablets

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

witeken

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2013
Mobile division literally had negative revenue in this quarter, and overall lost $4.2bn. How the heck are Intel getting away with this kind of market manipulation? It's textbook monopolist tactics, rely on overwhelming dominance in one business sector to fund dumping in another sector and choke the competition.

I sincerely think it's a good thing that mobile gets merged with PCCG, so I won't have to read all those ridiculous deceptions anymore. Intel's simply investing. They're not doing anything illegal. Intel's loss is enormously exaggerated, like people always like to do.

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
I sincerely think it's a good thing that mobile gets merged with PCCG, so I won't have to read all those ridiculous deceptions anymore. Intel's simply investing. They're not doing anything illegal. Intel's loss is enormously exaggerated, like people always like to do.
Maybe they should read out the actual numbers & tell us what the quantum of payouts was for the entire year, I don't doubt for a sec that they'll do this because they certainly will never do this ever.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011

"Enormously exaggerated"? It's written in black and white, right there on Intel's financial report. They had negative revenue. That literally means that they spent more on contra-revenue in the last quarter than they got in sales. That's not R&D. That's Intel literally paying customers to take their SoCs.

witeken

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2013
"Enormously exaggerated"? It's written in black and white, right there on Intel's financial report. They had negative revenue. That literally means that they spent more on contra-revenue in the last quarter than they got in sales. That's not R&D. That's Intel literally paying customers to take their SoCs.

Sure. The contra-revenue was 15$/chip. A lot of the tablets they sold were cheap tablets, so those chips will have been priced accordingly as low-end, which is less than $15 of course. The contra-revenue was about 1B or less, not 4-5B (you can do the math, right: 15$*46M).

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Sure. The contra-revenue was 15$/chip. A lot of the tablets they sold were cheap tablets, so those chips will have been priced accordingly as low-end, which is less than $15 of course. The contra-revenue was about 1B or less, not 4-5B (you can do the math, right: 15$*46M).

Yes, I know that contra-revenue wasn't 4bn, don't worry :) Modem R&D is expensive. But that still boils down to "Intel paid their customers to take chips off their hands".

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
You do know that equals $690 million dollars right? So you're under reporting the contra revenue $ given per SoC by ~50% & as mentioned above this doesn't take into account the amount of $ spent on other BOM subsidies :colbert:

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011

That s made up numbers of yours, from where do you extract the 1 bn figure.?.

It s 4.1 bn out of wich 3 bn are thrown on subsides, that s 3000/46 = 65$ for each chip shipped, the cost of the chip can be evaluated to 15$, rest is 50$ cash given with each chip.

Also according to digitimes part of these chips are still in inventories while some others have been used in other devices than tablets, surely notebooks.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
There is a slide with it somewhere. People forget all the other cost associated, R&D etc. Its like saying AMD loses money on every chip sold.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
There is a slide with it somewhere. People forget all the other cost associated, R&D etc. Its like saying AMD loses money on every chip sold.

Intel did lose money on every chip sold. That's literally what negative revenue means.

kpkp

Oct 11, 2012
A $0 Atom + $$$ subsidy to Asus would certainly explain how Asus could go 4GB of RAM, 13 MP camera, fast-charging, 5.5" display and still hit $199 price. It's like Intel is essentially paying for Asus' costs and absorbing them just to say they have an Atom in a smartphone.
Just to be factual, the $199 is for a 2GB version, but your point still stands.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Its not wrong, Intel bribed with 4 billion dollars for people to take out their trash. zen fone for 200? Lol, looking more like a $200 bribe

$4bn is the total loss, including costs for things like R&D. The contra-revenue is "only" about $1bn.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
lol $11 billion in stock buybacks. Check back in about a year to see how well spent that money was.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011

15$ per chip would amount to 690 millions $ losses, we are far from the 4.1bn official losses, obviously you re making up numbers to try to cover, patheticaly given the available numbers, the extent of thoses subsides, the number is 89$/chip including all costs related to this chip, that is RD and manufacturing costs wich should account at most for 35% of this amount, in other words they would sell their chip at 35% of thoses 89$ to be at break even point in this sector if there was no subsides, that point to 31$/chip in a non distorted market.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Yes, but its still only 15$ per chip.
Help me a bit here: when the Mobile Division sells 40M+ chips and reports only 202$ million in revenue, that equals to less than 5$ revenue per device.

Did they give the chips away for free?!

Last edited:

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Help me a bit here: when the Mobile Division sells 40M+ chips and reports only 202$ million in revenue, that equals to less than 5$ revenue per device.

Did they gave the chips away for free?

40M+ tablets- don't forget about modems and phone chips on top of that.

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
Intel is obfuscating how their contra-revenue is working in actual dollar terms. They are selling the Bay Trail chip somewhere in the low 10s USD. But along with those sales they are signing agreements with the following: "We're offsetting the BoM." "We're providing design assistance." "We're investing in partnerships." Etc.

Bit pointless to guess at actual $ per chip of the loss when Intel is actively hiding it. Best to just go by what shows up in the market. Based on the lowest priced Bay Trail tablets Intel is subsidizing to the low single digit US dollars, imo. IF it is costing Intel $20 per Bay Trail then ~$15 per is about right. There is also the indirect loss that doesn't show up on their balance sheet, that Bay Trail wafer could have been an actual profit making Haswell wafer.

From an Intel and Intel shareholder perspective though it's definitely worth the cost. "Fake it until you make it." Intel brand starts to get associated with phones, tablets, and soon IoT. Also less likely to make a misstep versus simply continuing internal R&D until they have the perfect product. This way they are getting direct market feedback. That's one of the things the new Intel CEO vocally criticized his company for doing in the past.

There are downsides to switching to a "ship it" design philosophy. Bay Trail graphics are mediocre for mobile with premium devices having such high pixel densities and is likely the main reason they obviously gave Asus a very sweet deal to get in their Zenfone. It will be struggling to push those pixels on that device. But Intel has its main x86 line to keep the "we're the best" marketing going. I don't think they are in any immediate risk of changing public perception of their brand.

Last edited: