Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 353 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I'm so tired of you calling people "AMD fans". I know I can't be the only one. No one will take you seriously if you keep doing crap like that. So the 11700k likely matches the 5800X, at over two times the power. Wake me up when Intel gets its crap in order.
Put him on ignore and all this 'AMD Fan' stuff magically disappears.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
This up to 19% refers to "SPEC CPU 2017 1-copy" and only "SPEC CPU 2017 1-copy". Therefore the IPC claim comes from a combination of integer processing, floating point processing, cache, and memory speed.

Glad you were able to dig that up. Seems like a pretty narrow range of benchmarks to make a claim like that, though.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
we really just need people to stop entertaining these kind of posters. I put that one on ignore months ago but still have to sift through other user's long back and forth arguments with them in these threads

Put him on ignore and all this 'AMD Fan' stuff magically disappears.

I've never used an "ignore list". I want to see commentary, no matter who stupid or biased it is. That may be something I should consider changing. But yea there are plenty of buffoons here and apparently calling people a "troll" is now tolerated.

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Good lord, these prices will be ridiculous if accurate:

ASUS Strix Z490 Mobos are around 200-230 € around here (looks similar in USD). In comparison Z590 ROG Strix starts at $400, TUF at ~$300 (which has become the "value" brand), PRIME ATX versions are $250+.

And, no this isn't because of PCIe 4.0. B550 offers the same amout of lanes from CPU to SSD and GPU, yet it can be had for as low as 170€ here (and probably same for USD).

As you can also run Rocket Lake ini Z470, it really makes me wonder who is going to buy most of these MOBOs that offer very little more for most users, yet cost $100+ more?

Executor_

Mar 4, 2010
Alder Lake is switching to a non-inclusive cache design, which supposedly is optimized for server workloads, ie. completely independent threads that don't share data. Any idea what performance impact this will have on games? And what kind of cache design does Ryzen use?

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

ASUS Strix Z490 Mobos are around 200-230 € around here (looks similar in USD). In comparison Z590 ROG Strix starts at $400, TUF at ~$300 (which has become the "value" brand), PRIME ATX versions are $250+.

And, no this isn't because of PCIe 4.0. B550 offers the same amout of lanes from CPU to SSD and GPU, yet it can be had for as low as 170€ here (and probably same for USD).

As you can also run Rocket Lake ini Z470, it really makes me wonder who is going to buy most of these MOBOs that offer very little more for most users, yet cost $100+ more?

Newegg has a couple boards available for preorder. It is cheaper than those MSRP's but is still pricey.

Release date is as early as tomorrow.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
The new ADL-S entry on Sisoft is interesting, it's the first DDR5 entry afaik. Base clock 400 Mhz higher than the entry on Geekbench and the iGPU clock of 1.5 Ghz is remarkable for an ES 0000, it's 150 Mhz faster than the fastest TGL-U/TGL-H35/RKL-S iGPU. They are aiming for higher GPU clocks which is expected because of the unchanged EU count.

Reactions: lightmanek

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Alder Lake is switching to a non-inclusive cache design, which supposedly is optimized for server workloads, ie. completely independent threads that don't share data. Any idea what performance impact this will have on games? And what kind of cache design does Ryzen use?

That doesn't make much sense. Intel split their consumer and server/workstation cores some time ago, including going with divergent cache designs. I can see having a Golden Cove variant for Sapphire or Granite Rapids with exclusive or semi-inclusive cache design at the L2 and L3 level, but for Alder Lake-S or -P? No.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
That doesn't make much sense. Intel split their consumer and server/workstation cores some time ago, including going with divergent cache designs. I can see having a Golden Cove variant for Sapphire or Granite Rapids with exclusive or semi-inclusive cache design at the L2 and L3 level, but for Alder Lake-S or -P? No.

That's how Tiger Lake is.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
That's how Tiger Lake is.

Hmm. You raise an interesting point, though I wouldn't call that being "optimized for server workloads" per se. Tiger Lake actually got some performance gains in consumer-class workloads from cache restructuring. It also suffered some performance regression.

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Details are sparse, but Zen's L3 cache is not inclusive (only contains tags). All in all, probably quite similar to Tiger Lake

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Hmm. You raise an interesting point, though I wouldn't call that being "optimized for server workloads" per se. Tiger Lake actually got some performance gains in consumer-class workloads from cache restructuring. It also suffered some performance regression.

My point is that Alder Lake appears to have the same cache system as Tiger Lake. 1.25 MB L2 per core/cluster and 3 MB L3 per core/cluster and presumably non-inclusive.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Tariffs (essentially a sales tax) on goods such as motherboards went up 25% after Dec 31, 2020.

Just be glad to know that China is paying for this. How, I'm not sure yet. But, somehow, it isn't us paying for the higher prices.

lightmanek

Feb 19, 2017

Just be glad to know that China is paying for this. How, I'm not sure yet. But, somehow, it isn't us paying for the higher prices.

I guess, they will pay the same way as Mexico for the wall ...

Anyway, either board makers are trying to make extra buck or two on these new boards or they are expecting lower volumes and have to build in higher profits to recoup RND.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Yeah, these prices are stupid. The newer version of my MSI carbon board is $80 more and the only improvement is a third M2 slot, and it looks tacky and ugly as well. There is no reason to buy it over the Z490 one.

Pretty much. If a z490 board doesn't take advantage of PCIe 4 nvme, not a real problem for gaming right now. And unlikely to be worth caring about until DDR5 is the new standard, anyway. People who got good deals on z490 with i3s and i5s with the intention of tossing in a rocket lake chip this year are in a decent place.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Many of the Z490 boards even support PCIE 4 with the new CPUs, and advertise that as a feature. The new CPUs are a worthwhile upgrade over the lower end Comet Lakes, but I think they are too little of an improvement over the 10700K or 10900K.

Asterox

Golden Member
May 15, 2012

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
GB score is borked, but the ST clocks are nice for the bottom end i5. For me RKL-S is looking good in terms of IPC and clocks, now comes the delicate part of pricing/availability. Early Z590 prices are not a good sign, but then again let's see how the B chipset boards fare, now that we have the memory oc option available.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
My point is that Alder Lake appears to have the same cache system as Tiger Lake. 1.25 MB L2 per core/cluster and 3 MB L3 per core/cluster and presumably non-inclusive.

@Executor_ was saying the Alder Lake cache design would be "server oriented", which is not really the case with Tiger Lake.

China just winds up selling less stuff.

Asterox

Golden Member
May 15, 2012
GB score is borked, but the ST clocks are nice for the bottom end i5. For me RKL-S is looking good in terms of IPC and clocks, now comes the delicate part of pricing/availability. Early Z590 prices are not a good sign, but then again let's see how the B chipset boards fare, now that we have the memory oc option available.

Even wrinkled GB shows that for example R5 2600 is slower CPU.We all now that is slower(average score), even GB see that.

So what is going with that 6/12 Rocket Lake, hm it cant be same as R5 3600.If is priced very good ok, but that ST score is to low for Rocket Lake IPC/4.4ghz singlecore boost.

Last edited:

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
It does not have a different cache configuration. What on earth gave you that idea?
I realize you meant backport of sunny cove. The goal post for a whole year here was that RKL would be a straight backport of willow cove, no matter how unfeasible that would have been on 14nm.

I misunderstood your comment, so I apologize.

Last edited:

naukkis

Jun 5, 2002
I realize you meant backport of sunny cove. The goal post for a whole year here was that RKL would be a straight backport of willow cove, no matter how unfeasible that would have been on 14nm.

And that's because Intel engineers said that Sunny Cove can't be backported to 14nm.

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
In light of Ian's recent Comet Lake TDP article I have a question. Are the power numbers he is reporting the CPU package or total system power at the wall?

I really like my Seasonic 400W fanless power supply but if I go Rocket Lake I might have a problem if those numbers are just the CPU package...