Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 345 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
Sought after is not the same as sold. A Doge Challenger may be the most sought after Dodge, but the SXT is the one most sold.

Mhm. Even after the 3070 completely destroyed the 2070 Super at the same price you think it's normal for the number of 2070 Supers being sold to rise by 5x that of 3080s. Of course, with the 3070 not even on the chart.

You might've noticed that these cards are constantly selling out, and are in all kinds of OEM systems as well.

The 1060 stopped being produced a long time ago, and similar thing with Turing. Stocks are clearing out.

There is no extra production of these chips, especially not in the middle of a GDDR6 shortage.

In one month? I'd say that's a lot of cards sold.

Again, a fifth of all the 1070 Supers being sold.

And that is the most easily manipulated metric.

Sell nothing to the big 7 OEMs that supply 85% of the market.

Sell what little you have to a few retailers for DIY types who all combined supply maybe 1 or 2% of the market (social engineering given how vocal DIY types are).

Scan UK isn't the big seller for DIY then. Those would still be Amazon and Overclockers UK.

Scan UK are very small by comparison. They're not even DIY focused - something you'd know if you'd open the site. SCAN UK | PC components and online computer shop

Facts :
AMD isn't producing new Zen 2

You know Rome is still in production right? In fact, it's not only still in production, it's going to stay there for the next 2 years at least in some capacity.
As long as that's the case, Ryzen 3K series will remain in production, the same way OG Zen and Zen+ did

Not one of the major OEMs carrys Zen 3 (85% of the market)

I'm intrigued, got a source for the 85% figure?

Most DIY channels stay sold out of Zen 3 despite being the main target of supply (~5% of the market)

Depends heavily on the market. Again here in the UK we've had constant stock of the 5600X for 3 weeks now. The 5800X has been in stock for nearly a full week straight.

Only the 3rd tier SI's carry AMD, and their supply is sporadic as well and of course they also carry Intel (~10% of the market)

I find it hard to believe that SI's are both only an 1/8th of the supply that OEMs provide whilst also being twice that of DIY. Again, I'd like to see a source for these numbers.

RDNA 2 series still doesn't show up on steam, at all

Of course not, it's got basically no supply in general. But RDNA2 and Ryzen are two wholly different stories, and again the biggest proof I can provide is the Scan UK numbers right there. Nearly 4K Ryzen chips in the last week alone. 0 RDNA2 since launch.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Exist50

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004
Of course not, it's got basically no supply in general. But RDNA2 and Ryzen are two wholly different stories, and again the biggest proof I can provide is the Scan UK numbers right there. Nearly 4K Ryzen chips in the last week alone. 0 RDNA2 since launch.

I'm not going to respond to all of that because it's pointless, you don't understand what steam is telling you. But I will respond to the comment above.

It's estimated that 300 million PCs / Laptops will be sold this year. 85% of that comes from 7 OEMs. i.e. about 255,000,000 PCs from those 7 OEMs.

None of them carry Zen 3, and Zen 2 is emptying out of supply channels.

That comes out to about 4,904,000 PCs per week.

You were saying something about a retailer who sells 4000 chips a week?

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
I'm not going to respond to all of that because it's pointless, you don't understand what steam is telling you. But I will respond to the comment above.

It's estimated that 300 million PCs / Laptops will be sold this year. 85% of that comes from 7 OEMs. i.e. about 255,000,000 PCs from those 7 OEMs.

None of them carry Zen 3, and Zen 2 is emptying out of supply channels.

That comes out to about 4,904,000 PCs per week.

You were saying something about a retailer who sells 4000 chips a week?
Most importantly, Steam is telling you that you really shouldn't consider yourself a market researcher all of a sudden, when you can't distinguish between relevant and irrelevant data in your conversations about the market. You just don't understand what steam is telling you. You are really persistent though, I'll give you that. All the more entertainment I get from the thread :)

yuri69

Jul 16, 2013
Exactly what I've been saying for some time now, AMD is not making any significant number of CPUs or GPUs here in Q4.
You gotta love those surveys! Out of nowhere - poof - and there are 12% more gamers from China. Dec was surely an excellent month for Chinese gaming industry!

cnack1v.png

COAk

Jan 4, 2021
Most importantly, Steam is telling you that you really shouldn't consider yourself a market researcher all of a sudden, when you can't distinguish between relevant and irrelevant data in your conversations about the market. You just don't understand what steam is telling you. You are really persistent though, I'll give you that. All the more entertainment I get from the thread :)
I thought this was a Lakes and Rapids thread where people discussed leaks, not other people...

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97 and geegee83

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Dell announced a bunch of Tiger Lake laptops and an desktop meant to be used like an AIO. Most of them don't ship until the end of March (so it's possibly using the rumored refresh); the one linked is shipping now.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Ignore Steam survey for this, it is bad in many ways.

Wait for Mercury research's report for Q4 instead, then we have some real numbers to discuss.

Here is data from their Q3 report.

It wouldn't surprise me if Intel gets a little overall market share back due to being able to manufacture more during these crazy demand times, but I expect they would still be losing share in the high margin sectors and picking up shares in the lower margin sectors. I'm not saying this is the case as the AMD chiplets on 7 nm are quite small and the IOD is obviously at GF, but I think it's possible given the insatiable demand right now. There is also a 0% chance that there was enough of a sales disparity to cause an 8% shift in the total user base in 4Q. That is just ridiculous to even speculate.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
It wouldn't surprise me if Intel gets a little overall market share back due to being able to manufacture more during these crazy demand times, but I expect they would still be losing share in the high margin sectors and picking up shares in the lower margin sectors. I'm not saying this is the case as the AMD chiplets on 7 nm are quite small and the IOD is obviously at GF, but I think it's possible given the insatiable demand right now. There is also a 0% chance that there was enough of a sales disparity to cause an 8% shift in the total user base in 4Q. That is just ridiculous to even speculate.

These percentages don't really match up with Intel's financials. Mercury Research is greatly overselling Intel's desktop sales while underselling laptop. Now it could be that they aren't including Chromebooks I guess, but that wouldn't explain the desktop difference.

AMD CCG Revenue gain: $379M (includes GPUs)
Intel desktop drop: $485M
Intel laptop gain: $882M (albeit with a $1B hit to profits from Tiger Lake)

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
The memory read scored higher than the theoretical bandwidth (2 * 8 bytes * 3733 MHz)

That is not exactly unusual in Aida64 bw tests, if one was to believe them, latest AMD cards have like 1.6TB/s memory bw.

Does not look like anything is special in that screenshot to me. With enough voltage any B-Die can have such timings since Z170

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
I assume they were referring to the memory latency. Sub-40 ns is pretty darn impressive.

Edit: I guess not since it seems like coffee lake can hit sub-40ns, too.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
I assume they were referring to the memory latency. Sub-40 ns is pretty darn impressive.

Edit: I guess not since it seems like coffee lake can hit sub-40ns, too.
Coffee Lake can go to ~35ns or lower with the right sample and memory.

So no, that's not it. Surprised nobody was wondering how the "best score" (which obviously is in regards to memory latency) is at DDR4-3733 at all and not something higher like DDR4-4400.

Hint:

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
So, if I'm reading this correctly, Rocket Lake has a new, higher latency mode to support even higher memory bandwidths?

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
yeah the 1:1 mode monicer was a hint in that direction. Was late to the party though

cortexa99

Jul 2, 2018

Due to the immature bios the PCIe is limited to x16 1.1 for RKL......

Reactions: lightmanek

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Reactions: lightmanek

Dave2150

Jan 20, 2015
Looking forward to the 11900k, been waiting so long for a architectural upgrade from my 6700k!

To be fair, it's only since I upgraded to a RTX 3080 that my 6700k hasn't ben able to cope with some titles. Had it since August 2015, boy was it a good buy!

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
So is tiger lake-H supposed to be 8C/16T? Would seem weird to designate a 4C/8T part as an i7 if that's the case...
https://videocardz.com/newz/acer-reveals-nitro-5-gaming-laptops-with-tiger-lake-h35-cpus

Intel's mobile naming scheme frequently doesn't coincide with their desktop naming scheme with regards to core count. The mobile schemes also frequently make little sense.

Also that article says they "expect" both laptops to be 4 cores. Doesn't seem like any real evidence to me.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
So is tiger lake-H supposed to be 8C/16T? Would seem weird to designate a 4C/8T part as an i7 if that's the case...
https://videocardz.com/newz/acer-reveals-nitro-5-gaming-laptops-with-tiger-lake-h35-cpus
Yes and no.

There's two different TGL-Hs with different launches. TGL-H35 and TGL-H45.

TGL-H35 is 4c/8t/96EUs - same die as TGL-U, but higher power limit and higher clocks.

TGL-H45 is 8c/16t/32EUs, new die set to launch Q2-Q3. Expected to arrive around Computex time period

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

For a little comedy, Rocket Lake overclocked using LN2 to a very nice 6.9 Ghz.