Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 211 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Ozark Lake according to TPU. LGA1700 . I doubt this is real. But who knows :grin:

That's right, today is AFD. Shoulda made it 6.9 Ghz ;)

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
I'd rather see the commercial product benched against the 4900HS. We don't know the TDP rating or power usage for that TigerLake QS.
I know you like to see AMD do well, but pitting 4 cores vs 8 highly binned cores for the top of the line sku?? Seriously??

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I know you like to see AMD do well, but pitting 4 cores vs 8 highly binned cores for the top of the line sku?? Seriously??

Okay. Show me the 8c TigerLake chip, show me it's TDP, and let's pit it against a competitor's CPU with the same TDP rating. Like I said, we don't even know the TDP rating for that TigerLake QS. It's impossible to know what it's actual competition will be without knowing which product segments will use it. We also don't know its "real world" power usage. Is it going to have a tau of 56s at PL2? And will TDP parity mean anything if the "35W" SKU from the competitor has the same battery life with the same-size battery as Intel's "15W" SKU? Or whatever rating it actually gets?

@JasonLD

Maybe, maybe not. It still has a cTDP of 10-25W, so some OEMs may make the 4800u behave a lot closer to a 4900HS depending on how they set up their product. And as I have said before, we don't know what the TDP is of that QS or where it sits in the eventual Intel product hierarchy. Unless Intel has non-H 8c TigerLake parts, eventually reviewers are just gonna have to hold their noses, bench the Intel parts against 8c parts from a competitor, and then rate battery life under different usage profiles and let the end users decide what works for them.

Last edited:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I could see them doing 35 W SKUs for Tiger Lake U, since they are rumored to do similar for Rocket Lake U. What's good about Renior is not the cores but that it can sustain it's frequency very well at a given TDP... if they manage to bin it decently enough so it can maintain a high frequency plus Willow Cove''s IPC... that would definitely fit the typical U user.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
So if we have QS in the wild, how long to commercial launch? Estimates?

From previous Intel generations it is expected to have a 2 months gap between first QS and production start and another 2 months till launch, so 4 months overall from now on assuming that the first QS started in early April. But this is a rough estimate, even though a launch this summer around August seems doable.

Reactions: lightmanek

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
The scores are crappy at best.

It's outperformed significantly by older samples.

And it's doesn't exactly fare well vs 15W 4800U either. The iGPU side is underwhelming, a 15%-20% uplift over 15W 4800U (so there's still cTDP up to consider on AMD's side).

The following is the best Tiger Lake score vs that 15W 4800U, and well see for yourself.

Well, I hope Intel can manage a win against Renoir on iGPU. That way they can at least enjoy iGPU crown for, well however long they get. Like, 4 months at most? Something like that anyway.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
That way they can at least enjoy iGPU crown for, well however long they get. Like, 4 months at most? Something like that anyway.

AMD isn't updating Renoir anytime soon. It'll be 2021 before we see its successor. Cezanne? So TigerLake-U/Y won't have any new competition for awhile.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
AMD isn't updating Renoir anytime soon. It'll be 2021 before we see its successor. Cezanne? So TigerLake-U/Y won't have any new competition for awhile.
Of course they're not updating Renoir in 2020. Never said they would, and I'd argue anyone that thinks they are is being a tad bit silly.

But this and that are two different things, and Tiger Lake has less than half a year of iGPU crown. Well, I'll update the Ryzen 4000 series thread with a little more info.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
AMD isn't updating Renoir anytime soon. It'll be 2021 before we see its successor.

Renoir isn't even available 3 months after launch (in Germany), only listed. The successor of it probably won't come before mid 2021 and even if they launch it early in 2021 it will be a paper launch just like Renoir.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Renoir isn't even available 3 months after launch (in Germany), only listed.

AMD in January said "Later in Q1", which you could take to mean the end of Q1. The virus may be delaying shipments but it won't be long it looks. The end of Q1 is when you'd probably see the Renior successor.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
Renoir isn't even available 3 months after launch (in Germany), only listed. The successor of it probably won't come before mid 2021 and even if they launch it early in 2021 it will be a paper launch just like Renoir.
Yes, because human malware situation isn't kind on supply chains.

Renoir was long since provided to OEMs in full volume. Some of the devices hitting the market now there were private 3Dmark results _rogame found as early as October iirc, such as the Acer Swift.

Next years launch could potentially be actually a Q1 paper launch, but Renoir was not supposed to be in this state.

Last edited:

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
Renoir laptops are starting to show up, best buy has Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 listed with Release Date:04/15/2020. But agree that the human malware outbreak has definitely slowed things down, a lot. I wonder how will it affect intel's supply chain.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Renoir isn't even available 3 months after launch (in Germany), only listed.

China has had them for a month now? Wrong thread for Renoir though. More interested in when TigerLake-U is out, at least in this thread.