Discussion Intel current and future Lakes & Rapids thread

Page 141 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
The Atoms might work, if they keep it small enough. 4 Tremont cores and 32 EUs would be a pretty small die, and they could cut to 2 cores and 8 EUs.

Yup.

Oh, I also forgot Agilex. No idea how many of those they will sell.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
NUC devices are using mobile ULV CPUs, and by design this is mobile. I haven't seen a desktop roadmap with a NUC.

Ghost Canyon does use H parts; but H is still considered mobile even though I would think most people would consider the form factor of NUCs as desktop.

Saphhire HEDT is a possibility, but it would need to be multiple chiplets among other things.

JDG1980

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2013
To hardwareluxx, the S line is the desktop.

Yes, I think this is where the conflict comes from. Hardwareluxx is saying there isn't going to be a 10nm S-series chip. Intel is saying there will be *something* for "desktop" on 10nm - which could be anything from a NUC using the same SoC as laptops, to a 10nm Atom product, to a 10nm HEDT product using salvaged server dice.

My money is still on there never being a 10nm S-series chip.

Reactions: spursindonesia

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
I'll bet 20 anandbucks, 3 cutressquarters, and 3 shilovcents that;
-There will be Icelake-X on LGA2011 and it will have 20+ SNCX(10++ Sunnycove) cores and release in 2020.
-There will be Tigerlake-S on LGA----(post-1151) and it will have 8 WLC(10++ Willowcove) cores and release in 2020.
-There will be Tigerlake-H on BGA in NUCs and it will have 8 of the above cores, with a new L4 cache, releasing in 2020 as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: liahos1

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I agree. Where are they going to manufacture it - Mars?
All the 14nm+++... fabs are going to be moving over 7nm (starting in ~18 mos?). Two fabs is all 10nm is ever going to get.

misuspita

Jul 15, 2006
He can't be the only incompetent, too much as gone wrong for it just to be down to Krzanich alone.
No, but he is the epithome simptom of a bad corporate culture going on at Intel. In time the politicians took over the wheel from the engineers, and begun beancounter strategy. Last time when AMD was on top Intel was saved by luck, because they had another architecture working in paralel with their main one. This time they even stopped making any notable advances, practically stopping at 4c/8t for 6 generations of CPU. And that not because the engineering had brainfarts, but because management stopped them to do any advances because competition was way behind, so they stopped and milked the market from every angle.

So, is he at fault? yes! Is he alone? No, he was just the tip of the iceberg going on at the Intel management. Unless they change and reinvent like AMD did, the market will make them suffer, just as AMD did in their bad decision times. Jim Keller might be a genious, but he is not management, they need a Lisa Su. Or better the guy before her, who was hired just to trim the company and let the next CEO straighten the ship, which she did...

Reactions: .vodka

liahos1

Aug 28, 2013
I'll bet 20 anandbucks, 3 cutressquarters, and 3 shilovcents that;
-There will be Icelake-X on LGA2011 and it will have 20+ SNCX(10++ Sunnycove) cores and release in 2020.
-There will be Tigerlake-S on LGA----(post-1151) and it will have 8 WLC(10++ Willowcove) cores and release in 2020.
-There will be Tigerlake-H on BGA in NUCs and it will have 8 of the above cores, with a new L4 cache, releasing in 2020 as well.

Nosta - are you being serious or joking. I hope what you are saying is true. I need to upgrade my 5820k platform

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Any source for this? Did Intel say this?

No, just based on Intel's history and the pending installation of 7nm EUV process equipment. The 18 months bit was a guess with a question mark; wondering if anyone knew how long it takes to get all that new equipment up and running. Obviously, a substantial amount of fab space will need to be allocated to get 7nm ramped up to produce a full stack lineup in 2022, unless something awful has happened in development.

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
Nosta - are you being serious or joking. I hope what you are saying is true. I need to upgrade my 5820k platform
All of it was slated for 2020. Which was in an Az slide that released recently.

10nm x86 is only HVM in 10++. Which the Icelake server part will be and Tigerlake client parts will be.

Just in case of problems Willowcove is being set up as the next Skylake. With 10++/7, 10++/7+, 10++/7++, etc. Intel is feature plan done with 5nm as well, which is expected to be "producible" by 2022.

Last edited:
Reactions: liahos1

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
The Yoga with Icelake is now available... but it's really pricey. They updated the cheaper Yoga with Comet Lake, they are a much better deal.

trivik12

Jan 26, 2006
I saw Dell Inspiron, HP Pavillion and a Lenovo yoga laptops with Icelake at costco. So its at least one can try it out before buying it. I saw a comet lake laptop as well but unfortunately not the 6 core model. I am curious to see how Surface laptop 3 does with 1065 G7. Especially GPU.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I saw Dell Inspiron

Dell has several Inspiron Icelake models with the i3 and i5 G1. More than I would have expected actually. There's also plenty of Comet Lake too, that would be super confusing.

Edit: The cheaper Icelake Inspirions don't have Thunderbolt. Wonder if they are chips with it disabled for yield reasons?

Last edited:

trivik12

Jan 26, 2006
Dell has several Inspiron Icelake models with the i3 and i5 G1. More than I would have expected actually. There's also plenty of Comet Lake too, that would be super confusing.

Edit: The cheaper Icelake Inspirions don't have Thunderbolt. Wonder if they are chips with it disabled for yield reasons?

Advantage with Costco or best buy is you can try out before buying. You also get additional year warranty at Costco if you buy it with Costco Visa card. Both Inspiron and pavilion laptop were not expensive(Dell was in 600s and HP was in 700s if I am not wrong). But neither are premium models. The XPS 13 at Costco was still whiskey lake model. I wish there were Surface or C940 yoga or Spectre or new XPS 13 at Costco.

Surface laptops you can buy at Microsoft Store. But not having thunderbolt is unfortunate.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Interesting. Sadly, non-existent products have shown up in kernal patches before. We do know that IceLake-SP is coming eventually, so that much is credible.

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
D isn't desktop.

The plain FAM6_ICELAKE is tho?

Used to be:
#define INTEL_FAM6_ICELAKE_X 0x6A
#define INTEL_FAM6_ICELAKE_XEON_D 0x6C
#define INTEL_FAM6_ICELAKE_DESKTOP 0x7D
#define INTEL_FAM6_ICELAKE_MOBILE 0x7E
#define INTEL_FAM6_ICELAKE_NNPI 0x9D

Now